Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default OT: Nested Folder

Hello,

This may seem rather absurd, but I would rather be "safe than sorry".

In a default setting of SAC and SAW, the session file path can be "three folders deep". For example:

* With SAC you can have: C:\SAC\MIX\[Session_Folder]\[Session_Files] - as sessions should be located in their own folder for Scenes and such.
    * With SAW you can have: C:\SAWStudio\Audio\[Session_Folder]\[Session_Files].

As stated by Microsoft, "Individual components of a filename - that is, . each subdirectory along the path, and the final filename, are limited to 255 characters, and the total path length is limited to approximately 32,000 characters. However, you should generally try to limit path lengths to below 260 characters - that is, MAX_PATH, when possible."

What nested folder depth have any of you used with success?

PS: I am determining the particular folders for used in a live performance and I am just wondering how deep one can go. I opt to use underscores of spaces for most of my file/folder naming schemes as this makes it so that double quotes are not required for paths statements.

In my preset scenario, I presently use the following:
    * G:\Session_Folder\Sets\[Set_Name]\[Session_Name] - so two nested folders.
    * G:\Session_Folder\Sets\[Set_Name]\[Wave_Files]\[Wavefile_Name] - so three nested folders.

Thank you for any assistance.

Default Re: OT: Nested Folder

Lets see...
    E:\Sessions\(artist/client)\(project or song)
    So, I guess 3 folders deep, but I sometimes have one more layer for 4 folders deep. Never had a problem because of it.

Now, if you want to see a real nightmare file path, check out the default project file path for Sonar. I have a client whose file directory structure I had to change so that he would stop getting the dreaded "file name too long" alert.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com