Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW SAC Rig

Blog Entries

Default Re: NEW SAC Rig

Philip,
    Put an advert up on craigslist for a sound tech. You don't really need somebody with a ton of experience, just teachable with a good ear.
    ...Done that...and what I get is mostly DJ's and studio engineers. I have had two of the latter and that has not been of any assistance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Philip,
    ...Done that...and what I get is mostly DJ's and studio engineers. I have had two of the latter and that has not been of any assistance at all.
    Wow. I can combine all of that in a true story. Sort of. Back when I was young, I got contract work as a DJ working for a very smart electrical engineer who built sound systems that were far better than most of what was then available (some of that equipment is still in use long after the death of its designer/builder). I remember asking him about the differences between recording and live sound. He told me that you can't explain it that way, because you have to treat them as two completely different things. My later experience proved him right, as I have since done both things. I learned the basics of the craft of recording, and a little later got a side gig filling in for when the regular sound guy at a local bar was out of town. It was a real education, and indeed a very different thought process.

Around the same time, I was working on a personal recording project of my own, and at one time had one of the better live sound contractors in the area come in to engineer a session. My production partner and I dragged that poor dude through the knothole, as it wasn't as easy as he expected. And this was a smart guy with a good ear and technical training.

So, can a studio guy learn live sound? Sure. I did, and I've known a couple of recording guys who were also skilled at FOH. But yeah, you have to think the right way for each task, and it ain't the same kind of right way as for the other.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Cary,
    But yeah, you have to think the right way for each task, and it ain't the same kind of right way as for the other.
    ...You have got this right!

As a guitar instructor, and though I have had formal instruction in "classic guitar technique", I advertise as a "finger-style guitar instructor" as I really do not consider myself as a "classical" guitarist in the true sense of the word.

Also, I have discovered that though someone may have a lot of knowledge regarding a particular discipline, that to be able - in actual fact, to teach that particular discipline is sadly, "not necessarily so".

Blog Entries

Hello,

Here are some updates:

Attachment 2826

Front View: Showing the almost completed patch panel. All connections are now completed on this front panel. The two combi inputs on the left connect to two internal Radial PRO48 DI's. There are two internal patch cables that then connect the two DI's back to inputs 1 and 2 on the ADA. The four male XLR's are the outputs from the ADA - 2 MAINS, 2 MONITORS. Finally, the three black XLR's on the right are for DMX. The one on the far right is the main output with the other two being internally wired to allow for a "return-send" configuration for the other DMX lighting.

Attachment 2827

Rear View: Showing the two DI's. What is interesting here is that the two DI's fit exactly underneath the 1U rack - acting as support for the rack. Pretty neat! The DMX box sits on op of the 1U rack chassis.

This configuration allows me to have everything that I need "inside the box", which is what I prefer - so no pedal boards, just me, to the box, out to the speakers and the lights, and I am ready-to-go!!

So, I now have both a "mixer-in-a-box" and a "hardware-in-a-box" configuration!!
    Last edited by mr_es335; 09-13-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Looks great Dell...nice work. Good luck with the gig...hope all goes well.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Very cool