Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW SAC Rig

Blog Entries

Default NEW SAC Rig

Hello,

These are some initial images of my new 4U Rig.

My objectives were two-fold, 1) to obtain as small of a rig as possible, 2) and more importantly, that the completed rig did not weight all that much. I believe that I have accomplished these objectives.
    * Size: 15"H x 26"W x 21"D
    * Total weight 42lbs.

Image 1 and Image 2
    * Using an InWin 1U IW-RA100 chassis, 15.5" x 19" x 1.75"
    * Chassis weight - 7lbs
    * Takes a full-sized ATX motherboard, ASUS Z170P
    * 350watt PSU, and which is actually very quiet.
    * Using a 120GB SS HDD - Boot and a 500WD Black spinner for data

Image 3: A custom-made riser card from OrbitMicro.
    * Andrew Stevenson was very, very helpful in ensuring that I was able to obtain the correct adapter.

Image 4: As you can see, the fan and RAM sit slightly above the chassis, so I had to have a hole cut out of it. I am in the process of having a small shroud made to cover the protruding components.

Image 5: Rear view of the system. I was not able to obtain an I/O shield - at least thus far.

Image 6: Closed view of the rig.
    * The front and rear of the case are identical. There are only three parts to remove - the lid and front and read covers.
    * Built by: Castor-Case Solutions

Image 7 and Image 8: Up and running.
    * Focusrite PRO 40 in standalone mode - to work alongside with the RME HDSP 9652.
    * ART PB4x4 power distro.

Image 9: These are pop-out window hinges that allow the monitor to lay flat for transit or be slide to a nearly vertical position.
    * Interestingly, I was told by the engineering department at the manufacturer that these would NOT work for my intended usage. However, as you can see, they were wrong - and to my satisfaction.

Attachment 2643
    Attachment 2644
    Attachment 2645
    Attachment 2646
    Last edited by mr_es335; 08-01-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Default Re: NEW SAC Rig

Nice job, Dell.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Great idea on those Window Scissor hinges....
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Nice!

Can you send a picture with the screen in the closed position. Is the screen well protected when closed? How many channels with just the one box? Plans to add more channels in another separate case?

Dale

Blog Entries

Dale.
    Can you send a picture with the screen in the closed position.
    ...Here is a pic:

Attachment 2655

Is the screen well protected when closed?
    ...Yes, the lid has a form insert to protect the monitor during transport.

How many channels with just the one box?
    ...At present I am using seven...so that leaves me with one spare channel - if and when needed. I could add 8 more channels via ADAT if I really need to.

Plans to add more channels in another separate case?
    ...I designed this system as a dedicated "live performance rig" for me and my daughter.

My present configuration is a follows:

Attachment 2656

I really do not see this configuration changing at all - so at present I am content with the eight channels.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 08-13-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Hello,

Well, all that I say is, "The new SAC/SAW Rig is workin' like a charm!"

We have a noon-time show this coming Thursday and am looking forward to putting this new system through it spaces, DV.

I have the whole show cued up using Show Control - hitting the Space Bar at those points during the show that require it using a "Pause" command - which is simply the "Stop Playback" command.

I use the Pause session file at those times when I need to pause the show due to indeterminate performance set times.

I am using the Control Track to call Scenes in SAC - thus making the entire show pretty much automated.

Attachment 2663

PS: Thanks Bob for all of your efforts on behalf of all of us performers...you certainly do make our lives easier as well as making us sound "real good" as well!
    Last edited by mr_es335; 08-15-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

Well, all that I say is, "The new SAC/SAW Rig is workin' like a charm!"

We have a noon-time show this coming Thursday and am looking forward to putting this new system through it spaces, DV.

I have the whole show cued up using Show Control - hitting the Space Bar at those points during the show that require it using a "Pause" command - which is simply the "Stop Playback" command.

I am using the Control Track to call Scenes in SAC - thus making the entire show pretty much automated.

I use the Pause session file at those times when I need to pause the show due to indeterminate performance set times.

Attachment 2663

PS: Thanks Bob for all of your efforts on behalf of all of us performers...you certainly do make our lived easier as well as making us sound "real good" as well!

Very nice. Hope you have a flawless show.

pg
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Philip,

Thanks...

PS: I notice that by your initials, you must be PG rated! Ha..Ha!

Blog Entries

Hello,

Well the show went very well...but the co-originators did not. They were 45 minutes late, meaning I had only a few minutes to complete a sound check. I mean all was connected, but no power!

SAC and SAW performed flawlessly throughout the show, but sadly the audio engineer did not. So, I fired him...hey wait a minute, that ID-10-T was ME!!

What I would really like is to hire someone to assist me with "the whole live sound thing" - right now it is "hit 'n miss" with me.

What sounded great at home sounded just horrible in the field. An increase in output meant an increase in bottom-end...and so on!
    Last edited by mr_es335; 09-26-2017 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Typos...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

Well the show went very well...but the co-originators did not. They were 45 minutes late, meaning I had only a few minutes to complete a sound check. I mean all was connected, but no power!

SAW and SAW performed flawlessly throughout the show, but sadly the audio engineer did not. So, I fired him...hey wait a minute, that ID-10-T was ME!!

What I would really like is to hire someone to assist me with "the whole live sound thing" - right now it is "hit 'n miss" with me.

What sounded great at home sounded just horrible in the field. An increase in output meant an increase in bottom-end...and so on!
    Its always a challenge to perform and do sound from the stage. I feel your pain. Put an advert up on craigslist for a sound tech. You don't really need somebody with a ton of experience, just teachable with a good ear.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.