Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Win10 LTSB build

So I've started doing tests on a new core i3 win10 build. My original system was built in 2010 and the motherboard won't support the larger monitor I'd like to use (2560 x 1440), so I decided to do a new build.

I'm using an MSI H270M Mortar Arctic motherboard with a seventh gen 3.9GHz core i3.

In the interest of maintaining a more modern system, I've started with a windows 10 build to see if I can get that to a fully stable setup.

I'm using the LTSB version of win10 which has the benefit of not including most of the crap that makes win10 normally undesirable.
    - no cortana
    - no windows store
    - can actually shut off/defer windows updates

Aside from shutting off all the report back to Microsoft options during the OS installation, I have not done any other optimizations to the system.

Since I didn't want to disassemble my current working rig, I'm only using the built-in audio hardware on the motherboard so I'm actually expecting better performance numbers once I switch to my RME RayDAT card and drivers.

Even with that limitation, I've been able to get 24 channels across FOH and 7 monitor mixes including SAW Studio linked and recording all 24 channels completely stable at a 1x32 buffer setting.

I also have 4 aux sends running
    Aux 1 Studio Delay
    Aux 2 Studio Reverb
    Aux 3 Classic Chorus (VST)
    Aux 4 2nd instance of Studio reverb (for drums)

Additionally on FOH channels 1-4 I have Patched into the individual fx channels
    - Studio Echo/Delay
    - Studio Graphic EQ
    - Studio Reverb

So in all thats 16 fx instances running.

I had to set Force Single CPU and Force RealTime Priority Class.

SAC is running at about 70-75% load (I expect this number will improve with the RME drivers and the RayDAT card)

Task manager shows the system running at a 3% load (and even with task manager running I'm not slipping buffers)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by cgrafx; 08-02-2017 at 02:55 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Win10 LTSB build

Philip,

Great posting and great content...as usual. Well done!

May I ask where you obtained the LTSB version?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Philip,

Great posting and great content...as usual. Well done!

May I ask where you obtained the LTSB version?
    Just sent you a PM
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Just sent you a PM
    Aw. Why so secret?

From what I've read, you can download the Enterprise LTSB trial version, then use it for 90 days without nags, then keep using it forever with nags -- for free. And that that's the only legit way to do it as an individual, unless you want to pay a monthly subscription fee.

Is this correct?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Aw. Why so secret?

From what I've read, you can download the Enterprise LTSB trial version, then use it for 90 days without nags, then keep using it forever with nags -- for free. And that that's the only legit way to do it as an individual, unless you want to pay a monthly subscription fee.

Is this correct?
    I purchased a license off of bonanza.com
    Philip G.

I purchased a license off of bonanza.com
    Interesting. Pricey?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Interesting. Pricey?
    $19
    Philip G.

$19
    What the... ?

So... why isn't everyone doing this?

UPDATE: I've done a little reading. Lots of discussion about the legit-ness of such licenses. What's the bottom line?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 08-06-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

What the... ?

So... why isn't everyone doing this?

UPDATE: I've done a little reading. Lots of discussion about the legit-ness of such licenses. What's the bottom line?
    And thus the reason for hesitating to provide this information publicly. The license I received works. However there is always the risk that the copy of LTSB is compromised in some fashion. Since my system is completely dedicated as a live rig, doesn't connect to the internet or host personal information, that risk to me is minimal.

I've purchased other win7 and win10 pro licenses and they work without issue with fully legit versions of win7 and win10 installers obtained directly from Microsoft. They are sold as OEM licenses.

NOTE: your mileage may vary and you have make that risk assessment on your own.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 08-06-2017 at 11:40 AM.
    Philip G.

And thus the reason for hesitating to provide this information publicly. The license I received works. However there is always the risk that the copy of LTSB is compromised in some fashion. Since my system is completely dedicated as a live rig, doesn't connect to the internet or host personal information, that risk to me is minimal.

I've purchased other win7 and win10 pro licenses and they work without issue with fully legit versions of win7 and win10 installers obtained directly from Microsoft. They are sold as OEM licenses.

NOTE: your mileage may vary and you have make that risk assessment on your own.

Interesting. I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you, performance-wise. I still haven't found/licked all the background processes on my Win10 machine, and it's stepping on my SAWStudio workflow, as I've talked about in recent threads.
    Becket, Massachusetts