Close

Default Stop Windows 10 Update from Changing Defaults

Does anyone know of the trick(s) to stop Windows 10 updates from changing your default programs?

Windows Creator update did a real number on my system (of course, without my permission)
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Default Re: Stop Windows 10 Update from Changing Defaults

The long and the short of it, Carl is that; 'You Can't!!!'. My understanding is Windows 10 is to be the last Windows build, but Microsoft still wants to make changes over time, which is why they don't allow you to turn off Automatic Updates. All this has been covered before on the Form...do a search of the Form on 'Windows 10', and see what comes up....there are some solutions you can try, but the best solution is....don't use Windows 10.
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

Blog Entries

Hello,

...unless you use the LTSB version as cgrafx is. See here...

Look in the Task Schedular... many of the settings are reset by apps in the task schedular scheduled to run every so many hours, days, weeks... etc... so even after you make changes, these apps will start again at some future time and reset the settings.

You can disable these tasks from running... but it is a manual search and destroy to find them all.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Look in the Task Schedular... many of the settings are reset by apps in the task schedular scheduled to run every so many hours, days, weeks... etc... so even after you make changes, these apps will start again at some future time and reset the settings.

You can disable these tasks from running... but it is a manual search and destroy to find them all.

Bob L
    Anyone know of a "hit list" that may be "out there"? Sure would be a big help.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

There might be a solution for this. First, how brave are you? Because you have to edit the Windows registry file, and regedit will not prevent you from doing something that completely trashes your system (I have not yet "broken" a system this way, knock wood...).

OK, so some time in the last year I made my latest new computer purchase, a Lenovo IdeaPad 300 series laptop. This came loaded with a somewhat bloated version of Win10 Home, which maybe should be wiped and re-done, except I don't want to risk voiding the warranty on the computer. So, i went through all the "usual suspect" tweaks from Bob's list, plus a few of the suggestions from Black Viper (look him up). I got it down to where SawStudio would run decently, but I'm not sure if I'll ever really work SAC on this system.

Tricky thing about Win10 Home: it won't let you kill Automatic Updates, at least not through any of the Control Panel stuff. I searched for a way around this, and found a registry hack.

I just searched about this again, and CNET offers an article about this.

Inside that article is a link about the registry hack.

Look at the part about setting Permissions for the DefaultMediaCost entry. This tells you how to give yourself permission to change the key. We'll come back to it. Now, this tells you how to meter your wired (ethernet) connection, but does not mention that there is also a key there for doing the same to your Wi-Fi, and I changed that one also, setting both connections to be "metered". When this is done, Windows waits for permission before going on line to update.

OK, so I did all this, and it worked fine... at first. Thing is, I still have to Update Windows some time. Until I did that, I had no Auto Update problems, but my next Update had a hidden surprise: it re-set the connection metering setting. Not long after, I was shutting down after doing some location recording work, Windows grabbed at the available wifi connnection and ran an auto update. Grrrr!!
    permissions
    So, I looked up that registry hack and did it again. Only this time... remember those pesky ""? I took a chance and changes the permission setting for Trusted Intaller to not allow it to make changes to the DefaultMediaCost stuff. I THINK I disabled the update from undoing my hack this way, but haven't yet run the next update to prove it.

So, the possible solution here is a definite "maybe". I would be very interested if Del would check this out and advise us here.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Carey,
    I would be very interested if Del would check this out and advise us here.
    ...If you are referring to "Del" as "mr_es335" and not to "Dell" as the systems provider - then I am truly honoured that you think so highly of my opinion!

However, cgrafx might be more knowledgeable with regards to Windows 10 than I am at present.

My computer business is very quiet as of late and with the current iterations of Windows being "secure-er", the cost of hardware, more folks using PDA-type devices, less virus activity - this has had a major impact on my business and as a result, I do not spend much time with the current iterations of Windows. Also, and interestingly, for many of us involved in this type of work - most of our real work is "reactive" in nature.

I did a serious test run of WIN10 a few weeks back - and even though I was never connected to the Internet - WIN10 was still doing things that I simply could not account for. For the LTSB version, I understand that MS provides two major-types of updates: 1) feature and 2) security.

And for interest, I have a few acquaintances here who work for MS who know of my love for XP, and some even agree, and my interest in digital audio. I mentioned to them with regards to my "testing period" and when I asked them with regards to the permanent disabling of any update options of WIN10 - they very simply stated, "No, you cannot!" This ended my interest with WIN10.

I have a query with them regarding the LTSB version, but from what I have gleaned, the LTSB version does not require feature updates, but will continue to receive security updates. Another query I have is with regards to a dedicated off-line system and if at some point the off-line system will simply stop working due to its inability to receive updates. I will keep you apprised of outcome from query.
    Note: In the past when I have asked what I have referred to as "internal questions" - all that I do receive in return is akin to a blank stare.

So, I would follow cgrafx's current build to see how that is all going. cgrafx is very knowledgeable, his work is impeccable, and I look forward to his work with keen interest.

As for me and my house, we will continue to use WIN7 - and get on with the joy of creating some useful output from them.

Thanks again Carey for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Carey,
    ...If you are referring to "Del" as "mr_es335" and not to "Dell" as the systems provider - then I am truly honoured that you think so highly of my opinion!

However, cgrafx might be more knowledgeable with regards to Windows 10 than I am at present.

My computer business is very quiet as of late and with the current iterations of Windows being "secure-er", the cost of hardware, more folks using PDA-type devices, less virus activity - this has had a major impact on my business and as a result, I do not spend much time with the current iterations of Windows. Also, and interestingly, for many of us involved in this type of work - most of our real work is "reactive" in nature.
    I did work as a studio tech back when analog tape-based recording was still dominant. At one time, I had several outside clients. Since the DAW became the dominant workhorse of recording, if I get 3 service calls in a year, that's a big year. So, I understand how changes in technology can affect the technician. I don't bemoan or otherwise complain about this fact: it simply is, and one must adapt and move on.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com