Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mackie Onyx 1640i loses sync with Dell Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

That is a very good Firewire adapter...with an approved TI chipset.

I hoe that we all make note that current laptops are designed to terminate unused resources to conserve battery power.

You need to have a look at the BIOS settings and turn off whatever is not required there with regards to battery usage.
    Note: On my Dell E6700, I disabled anything and everything that had to do with battery usage - as I would never use that system with a battery anyhow.

Once hardware is done, then have a look at the Windows power settings. By-the-way, have you completed all of Bob's Windows 7 Tweaks?

I used a custom High-Performance plan - especially anything to do with "selective suspend".

Also, it is recommended by many Windows-based Firewire venders to use "Compatibility mode" for the Firewire driver. Have a look here...
    Note: Have you used the OHCI scanner utility?

Hope this helps?

You'd have to tell me, specifically what to change in the BIOS. I am not very knowledgeable about the BIOS and am afraid to mess it up, to be honest.

Over the years I've done some of the tweaks, not others. No problems with recording or playback till now on this particular machine. I am hoping the new card will solve the problem.

Blog Entries

demodoc,
    You'd have to tell me, specifically what to change in the BIOS. I am not very knowledgeable about the BIOS and am afraid to mess it up, to be honest.
    ...Not really possible as all BIOS are different. You would have to learn what the options are and tweak them accordingly.

...No problems with recording or playback till now on this particular machine.
    ..one of the joys of purchasing new hardware.

Startech FW card seems to have taken care of the problem. At first it didn't seem like it was going to work, until I remembered that the Mackie tech had suggested I try the other driver available that was for Win XP, version 1.7. With that driver installed, the recording definitely showed the laptop and mixer to be un-locked....no good, as before. Un-installed that driver and installed version 1.9, the one for Win 7 and I have been recording and playing back multiple tracks with no glitches. I did increase the buffer size from 128 to 256 because it seemed like playback was right on the edge of a glitch. After that, totally solid. I'll keep putting it through its paces...but, so far so good.

Amazing what the right firewire adapter will do!
    Last edited by demodoc; 08-13-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Recorded a 2 hour event last night just as a test. The first hour or so recorded perfectly, after that everything is pitched down and garbled so, obviously, lock was lost. Now what?? Bob, do you have any input here? Do I just need to use something other than a Dell?? HP, maybe???
    Last edited by demodoc; 08-17-2017 at 11:13 AM.