Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mackie Onyx 1640i loses sync with Dell Laptop

I recently bought a refurbished Dell Latitude E 6510 for recording with my Onyx 1640i (003 serial version). I have been using it successfully with my old Acer Aspire 9410z for years but that laptop is getting a little long in the tooth so I wanted to get something a bit newer, faster etc that still ran Win 7 Pro 64 bit The Onyx 003 serial version only has drivers up through Win 7, which is fine with me. Problem is, I can get the machine to record and playback fine when I first boot up but come back 20-30 minutes later and now it won't playback through the mixer at all and any recordings made at this point will be un-synced. That is, the recording is pitched low and garbled. Re-boot and everything os OK again for a little while and then the problem comes up again. What is it about the Dell that the 1640i doesn't like? It's a great little laptop, especially for the $250 it cost through Newegg. I have read a few posts about compatibility issues with some laptops , including Dell. Did I just buy a computer that is not going to work with the 1640i? I am calling Mackie tomorrow. Ideas??

Default Re: Mackie Onyx 1640i loses sync with Dell Laptop

Well, the Mackie tech was very nice but useless. I brought up all the things I thought the problem could be and all he said was "could be". (insert expletive here) He told me to try the 1.7 driver instead of the 1.9 that they tell you to use for Win 7. It works just like the other one...for a little while then kaput. I tried to get a 6 pin to 4 pin Firewire cable so I could hook the 1640i directly to the internal Firewire adapter rather than going through a PCMCIA adapter card but I live in a small town where it isn't available so it has been ordered from Amazon. If this doesn't work, I guess I will have to assume that the 1640i is simply not compatible with the Dell laptop, right? I sure wish I would have known this before I shelled out $300 for the laptop! And Mackie says they have no list of compatible or non-compatible computers for this mixer, though I have read reports of these issues on forums etc.

Does anyone have any idea of what to do now? Is there a laptop from a few years back with a firewire port or a PCMCIA slot that will work? Newegg has lots of refurbished ones at good prices.

HELP!!!

Blog Entries

Hello,

pardon my stupidity...but what is meant by "003 serial version"?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

pardon my stupidity...but what is meant by "003 serial version"?

There are 2 versions of this mixer, one with the serial number starting with 003, and the newer version that starts with 204. They use different chipsets. This is on their website.

Blog Entries

Hello,

So, how are connecting the mixer to the laptop?

Please be as specific as you are able.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

So, how are connecting the mixer to the laptop?

Please be as specific as you are able.

Through pcmcia firewire adapter card. The one currently in the slot is a Bytec but I have tried another one that is in my Acer at the moment. Can't remember what it is...one of the major brands.

Recorded a 2 hour event last night just as a test. The first hour or so recorded perfectly, after that everything is pitched down and garbled so, obviously, lock was lost. Now what?? Bob, do you have any input here? Do I just need to use something other than a Dell?? HP, maybe???
    Last edited by demodoc; 08-17-2017 at 11:13 AM.