Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transfer )

Default transfer )

Hi, does anybody know is there any shortcut to quickly transfer my MultiTrack labels to Mixer labels?

Default Re: transfer )

Hi Andrew,

Not quite sure what you're looking for. I rarely look at the Mixer, so I opened up a few recent sessions. I don't think I've ever typed labels into the Mixer, but all the labels are there, same as the MultiTrack. I think they show up on their own.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by andrew b View Post
    Hi, does anybody know is there any shortcut to quickly transfer my MultiTrack labels to Mixer labels?
    The Multi-track labels and mixers labels are the same thing. You can't edit them separately.

If your using SAC as your front end, then you can transfer stuff between SAC/SAW through the options menu in SAW Studio. Sac Link Options -> Import or Export mixer info.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 08-14-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    Hi Andrew,

Not quite sure what you're looking for. I rarely look at the Mixer, so I opened up a few recent sessions. I don't think I've ever typed labels into the Mixer, but all the labels are there, same as the MultiTrack. I think they show up on their own.
    I got no labels in mixer when I import a set of wav's from the library. MultiTrack converts labels from file names, I guess, but mixer does not.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    The Multi-track labels and mixers labels are the same thing. You can't edit them separately.

If your using SAC as your front end, then you can transfer stuff between SAC/SAW through the options menu in SAW Studio. Sac Link Options -> Import or Export mixer info.
    Well, I don't actually edit either of labels - the import sets them separately, which is a bit annoying for me.

I use SAW alone.

Andrew -- it sounds like you may be talking about the sound file names appearing on the regions in the multitrack view. These are not track labels, as they vary with the name of the source file for each region (there can be several source files per track). The multitrack and mixer labels are indeed tied together, but the multitrack labels in SAWStudio are between the track number and record arm button for each track. You're not seeing text imported to these fields, are you?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I got no labels in mixer when I import a set of wav's from the library. MultiTrack converts labels from file names, I guess, but mixer does not.
    As Dave's implied in his post just above mine, track label names are not created for your channel label space when you import a set of wav's. Labeling the channels in any view is totally a manual chore.

If you happen to use the same channel/track labels frequently from one project to another, you can save yourself a lot of time by creating a Mix Template File, while it's empty of regions/wav files. Save the template as a recall-as-you-need-it file, or as the default template that loads every time you open SAW - it's up to the user. Pre-Labeling a template you will often use can be really handy, since you can call up the template at the start and then save it under a different session name, stored in the folder you are going to use for your session. Then importing wav files into it can be done according to channel labels.

I do this sort of thing frequently, with variations depending on my needs. One frequent variation I use is that when setting up my recording (regardless of the daw I use), I always begin each channel/track label with a number (01, 02, 03, etc), followed by the instrument name (01 kick, 02 snare, etc). This puts them in perfect order in the Library View, when I'm ready to import them into SAW for the real work ahead. Variations to the formula can be easily accommodated with new channels and a channel reordering when required.

Hope that's helpful to you.
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 08-14-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Andrew -- it sounds like you may be talking about the sound file names appearing on the regions in the multitrack view. These are not track labels, as they vary with the name of the source file for each region (there can be several source files per track). The multitrack and mixer labels are indeed tied together, but the multitrack labels in SAWStudio are between the track number and record arm button for each track. You're not seeing text imported to these fields, are you?
    try it yourself
    http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#Rock

Sorry. Don't know what you mean.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

So, I downloaded one of the songs and loaded the tracks into SAW.
    Got exactly what was expected.

The tracks were all nicely named (even used the 01, 02, etc. system that I suggested earlier).
    Loaded them into a new session in SAW via the Library View - Highlight them all, then hit the Insert key.
    All the tracks were imported into SAW's MT view (MultiTrack) in channel order as I would expect.

All the track regions were labeled as expected (when Entry Name feature is turned on in SAW - I normally leave it off).
    Channel label spaces in the MT View were all left blank - as expected.
    Mixer label spaces were all left blank - as expected.

Nowhere did SAW automatically name any channel or mixer labels - as expected.

That is why we've suggested that naming of channels is a manual operation.
    You must do that yourself.

I hope this is helping to clear things up, but please let us know if you're still not getting the answers you need.