Close

Default Library view and templates

I hope how I present this question is not too confusing... here it goes:

I use a separate folder for each episode of the radio program that we produce. Each of these folders starts as a copied and renamed generic folder that contains common elements I use in each production, including a template.edl. When I produce a new radio program I copy that generic folder and rename it according to the naming convention that we use. I then drop into that folder audio elements that are specific to that particular radio program - like our host wavs and featured speaker audio.

The common template.edl inside this folder is renamed according to the specific radio program to match the folder name. I then open the template and my common production elements load in the multitrack. Then, I use the library view to manually point to and load the folder contents to access the specific audio elements for the new program.

My question: Is there a way to set up the library view so that it automatically displays the audio files in each new folder I am working in (which are simply renamed generic template folders)? If there is a smoother way than having to manually point to and load the folder contents every time I start a new episode of the radio program, I would like to know.

I have successfully set up template edls to display library views that load content residing in static folders where the name of the folder doesn't change. I understand how to do that. My question relates to being able to do that with a generic template folder after it has been renamed. Perhaps that's not possible because to load a library view it needs a folder name to reference? But maybe it is possible if there is an option for the library to simply reference the folder that the template resides in, regardless of the name of the folder.

Let me know what you think... or if you have a solution for me.

Thanks!
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Default Re: Library view and templates

Kent,

You can certainly point the libraries to any folders you like and memorize those settings. But if a path changes, the EDL's library pointer information becomes outdated and invalid, as you know. End of story, I'm afraid, so far as I know.

A solution may be for Bob to create a new entry in SAW's File Path Setup, including code such that a certain user-entered string does as you ask for library views. Or something like that. Maybe the File Path Setup bit could be left alone, and such strings could be entered directly via the individual library File menus. Just thinking out loud.

But, I don't believe there is a current solution to your specific need.

Of course, if you chose to keep some of the library-referenced source folders common to all future projects, that would be a way to avoid having to update some of the individual library paths with each new EDL spin-off.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Would it work to save each show to a unique folder AFTER it's produced or aired instead of before?

Use the "Current Show" folder to produce every show, then when it's ready to be archived, move or copy the files for that episode to a different folder. Next, return to the "Current" folder, clean out what you don't need for the next show and begin again.

Then your current show folder name never changes and everything should point to it.

Of course, the archived shows will need some View > File work to update the file locations to the new folder, but how often do you go back to archived shows? Less often than repointing those Library windows every week, I'll wager.

HTH
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    Would it work to save each show to a unique folder AFTER it's produced or aired instead of before?

Use the "Current Show" folder to produce every show, then when it's ready to be archived, move or copy the files for that episode to a different folder. Next, return to the "Current" folder, clean out what you don't need for the next show and begin again.

Then your current show folder name never changes and everything should point to it.

Of course, the archived shows will need some View > File work to update the file locations to the new folder, but how often do you go back to archived shows? Less often than repointing those Library windows every week, I'll wager.

HTH
    Good thinking, Ian. Using the Save and Repath function to copy the EDL to the new location could make it easier to do the repathing afterward: when opening the re-saved/re-pathed EDL, it would be a simple matter of moving through the "missing file" prompts, since the navigation "starting place" for all the needed re-pathing would be the new EDL's folder by default.

Probably best to start a new episode's production by doing a Save As... from the template EDL first thing. That way the template EDL isn't altered in any way. Or am I stating the obvious? Sorry.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 08-11-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Kent,

I am hoping that the information you has been provided with far will be of assistance to you.

My apologies that I am not able to be of assistance.

My point here is that I like you way you work - which is very similar to way in which I work.

I use a Session_Master folder that contains all of the required data such as batch files, audio files, the Scenes folder, a Sets folder - used for Show Control,and the two main Session edl and .mxs files, since I use SAC and SAW in tandem all of the time. For example, my daughter and I are doing a show this coming Thursday...and all I do is to copy and rename that Session_Master folder to the name of the current show and work from there. Very efficient and practical. Great for backing up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post

HTH
    That is a good suggestion. My challenge is that I work on multiple programs during any given production cycle because some programs are part of a series and thus share elements... and also sometimes requiring retro-editing
    Although it would be nice to have an option for the library to default to the parent folder that the edl (and audio) reside in without regard to a folder name, it really is not a problem to manually choose the directory. Just a convenience thing and was wondering if it was built-in somehow/somewhere and I missed it. Thanks Ian, Dave, and Dell! Appreciate you responding.
    Last edited by Kent F; 08-14-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24