Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: More about Onyx 1640i and Dell laptop

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I can't say much about those two, except where's your express card slot? I don't see it on either machine. Or is there a useable USB to Express card adapter device?

The two I referenced are much older systems... started as XPpro and turned into Win7.... and of course, like I mentioned, mine only has pcmcia slot.

I also don't know how much the newer Lenovos adapt themselves (or can be manipulated) to our needs... es335 will likely have a better answer than me. I just happened by to respond.
    They both have Express Card slots, I checked.

https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo...ad-t420/specs/

https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo...ad-t520/specs/
    Last edited by demodoc; 08-17-2017 at 08:27 PM.

What I need, from someone who really knows this stuff, is just what to do next. Change something in the BIOS? If so, what and how? Get another laptop? Which one? Something else to do to this one to make sure I don't have any further issues?? Right now, I can't depend on this machine with my mixer to reliably record a whole show. With my old Acer Aspire, I can, right now, until it bites the dust at some point. It might still have to do with the FW connection because it sure got 1000% better after I replaced the FW adapter I had with the Startech. It used to fail after a few minutes. Now, I can't get it to fail when I test it but it did fall out of sync with the mixer 68 minutes into my 2 hour recording last night. Since there is no "lock" indicator on the mixer, there is simply no way to know if everything is OK with this combo until after the fact. I did a test record last night, no problem, then it drops out of sync at 68 minutes. Color me frustrated.

More input? Bob???

Blog Entries

demodoc,
    What I need, from someone who really knows this stuff, is just what to do next.
    ...Sad to say...this is asking a lot!. Unless someone here has the same identical setup as you have, then it is "darn near impossible" to assist you.
    Change something in the BIOS? If so, what and how?
    Did I not say get someone THERE who can check into this for you? Is this route not possible?
    Get another laptop? Which one?
    Have you searched the forums to see what laptops folks here are using? I have used a Lenovo W520 and these units are excellent. The T500's work OK as well - though dated now. I have seven children and all of them are using IBM/Lenovo's. At the same time, it does seem to be getting more difficult to find these older systems.
    With my old Acer Aspire...
    ...This point does not really matter any more...that was then...this is now.

demodoc, I have completed a SAW/SAC rig that took me the better part of 3 months to source out the motherboard. In the interim , I tested two other boards, that simply did not work. I prefer ASUS boards, and I see that Philip is using MSI. The point here is, is that it can take a considerable amount of time and effort to get things to work as they should - especially nowadays! If you are a neophyte, then you might find yourself in a bit of a bind.

I would recommend locating a used computer shop...as I see you are not too far away from Los Angeles. There must be quite a number of these there. They might assist you in locating an older W series Lenovo.

May be ask others here what laptops they are currently using and see if you can obtain the same unit?

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    demodoc,
    ...Sad to say...this is asking a lot!. Unless someone here has the same identical setup as you have, then it is "darn near impossible" to assist you.
    Did I not say get someone THERE who can check into this for you? Is this route not possible?
    Have you searched the forums to see what laptops folks here are using? I have used a Lenovo W520 and these units are excellent. The T500's work OK as well - though dated now. I have seven children and all of them are using IBM/Lenovo's. At the same time, it does seem to be getting more difficult to find these older systems.
    ...This point does not really matter any more...that was then...this is now.

demodoc, I have completed a SAW/SAC rig that took me the better part of 3 months to source out the motherboard. In the interim , I tested two other boards, that simply did not work. I prefer ASUS boards, and I see that Philip is using MSI. The point here is, is that it can take a considerable amount of time and effort to get things to work as they should - especially nowadays! If you are a neophyte, then you might find yourself in a bit of a bind.

I would recommend locating a used computer shop...as I see you are not too far away from Los Angeles. There must be quite a number of these there. They might assist you in locating an older W series Lenovo.

May be ask others here what laptops they are currently using and see if you can obtain the same unit?

Hope this helps?

Sure, thanks.

I'm no neophyte, I've been mixing since 1972 and using SAW since 1996. I know a lot more about audio than I do about computers though I am definitely more knowledgeable than most.

There are a good number of Lenovo machines out there at good prices. But I don't want to just be buying stuff, hoping that it will work better than what I have if there is a way to make what I have work, that's all. After I installed the Startech FW card, things got a lot better. As I said, I tested and tested, letting the machine record for a long time and could not make it fail, yet, when I recorded the other night, it failed after 68 minutes. It kept recording but at 68 minutes in, the audio became low-pitched and garbled, a clear sign that clock sync had been lost. This started to happen on my Acer a while back but the problem was a failing FW adapter. I replaced it and the problem stopped completely.

My local computer tech is good, overall, but he doesn't really get the intricacies of audio recording. He would need to know what to look for in the BIOS, for example. I was simply hoping that someone could give me an idea of what to be on the lookout for in this regard, that's all.

I still think it may be as simple as turning off everything that doesn't need to be on during recording, wifi, anti-virus, onboard sound card, onboard FW etc. I will test some more with all these things in mind. I've already spent $300.00 on this Dell laptop, that I like. My funds are limited at this time.

Let's face it, the main problem here is Mackie with their sub-standard drivers and lack of continuing support for their FW mixers (the 1640i has been discontinued and I can see why). Their tech was very nice on the phone but completely useless. When I brought up the things I, as a user, thought could be causing the problem, all he could say was "could be". Gee, thanks. The mixer sounds great. I have two of them at $1600.00 each. I maintain them and use them constantly. I plan on continuing to use them. But problems like mine are all too common with this line of products. I've read lots of reports from users about these issues. Still, many use them successfully for years. I have with my old Acer Aspire, a jewel of a laptop, I must say. This one is 8-9 years old and still running well as far as recording is concerned. I just know that it can't go on forever this way. It will bite the dust at some point.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I welcome more from anyone with wisdom in this area. Bob, do you have any input here??
    Last edited by demodoc; 08-18-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Ok, much as I didn't want to spend any more $$ at this point, I did find a grade A refurbished Lenovo W 520 on Newegg and I have ordered it. Now I will own a total of 3 laptops. Let's all join hands and pray that this computer will play nice with the Onyx 1640i, shall we?

Well, the refurbishing company, IT RenewDirect sent me the laptop but it came with Windows 10 Pro installed. The listing on Newegg said Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, the invoice says Windows 7 but the machine has 10 on it. I will talk to them tomorrow about this. I can't use Windows 10 with the Onyx 1640i
    that I have because it is the older version that only has drivers up through Windows 7. If they want to take it back and put 7 Pro 64 bit on it, fine, otherwise, forget it, I'll find something else.
    Last edited by demodoc; 08-21-2017 at 09:55 PM.

It finally occurred to me that, if I just can't get the Onyx 1640i and a laptop (other than my trusty old Acer from 2009) to work with each other, reliably, there is another way. I can buy a pair of DB 25 8 channel snakes for $40 each and go into a couple of Focusrite Pro 40's. I already own one that I've had for years and it always works great. They are blowing them out cheap now since Firewire is out of favor these days. Two of these can be hooked together to create a 16 analog input interface. This may be what I will have to do to be able to continue to record my shows in the future.