Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet again buffer overrun, atapi 11 event and controller error on device port 1

Default Re: Yet again buffer overrun, atapi 11 event and controller error on device port 1

Hello,

Have you - or anyone for that matter, considered reading Brent's FAQ? And in particular the section on "What type of computer do I need for SAC?"

Some great advice there. Notice the chipset Vendor...Intel only!

Default Re: Yet again buffer overrun, atapi 11 event and controller error on device port 1

Years ago, I listened to advice from the Saw Forum, and my computer was never the same again. Not quite a boat anchor, but not as fast, glitchy, etc. More advice followed.
    To cut the story short, I went with my own gut and knowledge of computers to get the system back to as close to factory as I could.
    Then, my next plan was, and still is to this day, to get the latest operating system on my computer. Not Beta, but the latest one available to all.
    Then, open programs, and run plugins, etc. Whatever wouldn't play nice, was kicked to the curb. Hardware, software, etc. I would give it a shot with the latest drivers for the product and if it didn't work? Gone.
    I've done this now for 5 years. And, I'm happy I did. Life's way too short to try to try to make 20-30 year old hardware and software work. I don't care what was spent on it.
    And, I bought ProTools 15 years ago. It didn't work on my new computer. ProTools answer? Get a new computer.
    Now, Saw and other hardware and plugins don't work. The forum answer? Put XP, an unsupported OS, on a used computer, that needs eBay bidded parts to keep running.
    ... ? ...
    I know a woman, who worked with my wife, who has a brand new Gateway XP computer. Bought around 2003 or so. She has never, repeat, never opened the box. Still in there. XP OS CDs, etc. Factory fresh in mint condition. I don't know if she has it now. She's been thinking of donating things to the Salvation Army. Maybe she did.
    But, I can't imagine using that machine in 2017 to install current DAWs. Old drivers, dead OS, any number of hardware and software elements that could fail. Not my idea of a good time. I've spent too many days, nights, etc. trying to get update and coddle old systems.

Stashu,

I have built a system using WIN7 PRO that is working very, very well!

May I ask what is the point with the response?

What "advice" are you endeavoring to provide?

4. Default Re: Yet again buffer overrun, atapi 11 event and controller error on device port 1

I have two builds with WIN 8.1 that run fine. One with XP that runs fine too.

Dale B.
    I have two builds with WIN 8.1 that run fine.
    ...May I ask what is the point of using WIN8? Are there really any benefits?

Also, do you know what fine stands for? freaked out, insecure, neurotic, and emotional! (Ha...ha!!)

Dell,
    My point was that forum advice often causes the original poster to chase a problem by chasing other problems then spending time fixing a problem created by a fix.
    I know people roll their own computers and everything works great. There are also people that like one OS over another and will do whatever it takes to keep it running.
    This is great. The problem comes when someone has an issue and doesn't have the knowledge base or computer buddy to roll their own system. Things in computer-land don't always go together. And, add software compatibility to the mix and you have a never ending quest. Comments exist like: You should have bought this drive with this MoBo and this (insert hardware here) rather than what you just bought. The 'you should have' list never ends.
    My other point was my solution. To stop this kind of problem, I took the 'buy new, use the latest OS, keep it simple' approach. I'd rather do production than be under the hood of a computer.
    I just saw a frustrated guy asking for help. And, his problem is still not solved.
    Actually, this is why I sold my copy of Saw and now use Studio One. Sorry, if I caused any problems with my post. It's my last post anyway.

so my computer friend had run CC cleaner on the system and it hardly found anything. then i took it to a local repair shop and he said there was corruption in the windows registry. so i got it home and we ran Little Registry Cleaner. it found a bunch of corrupted files. my friend wasn't sure it would make a difference. so we cleaned it up. tada, no more atapi 11 errors. played an adl and no buffer overrun for a few minutes. haven't worked long term on it yet. so the little registry cleaner was more specific. i hope this is it and has solved the problem. seems so.

thanks everyone.

Paul

Great news! I hope it holds.
    Michael McInnis Productions