Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yet again buffer overrun, atapi 11 event and controller error on device port 1

so i went on vacation about a month ago. before i left saw was running fine. using windows 7 and a fireface 800. i have had buffer overrun before and fixed it but now it's stranger than ever.

i get back the other day and it was taking forever to load the edl, getting the hourglass. then it sometimes would play the edl but with no sound and nothing coming up on the meters. then it would play for a second, with sound, then stop. my friend who really knows computers checked everything and my computer was running fine. saw parameters are fine, buffers etc.

so then i downloaded the saw update, 5.6, and it was playing last night and i thought it fixed it. this morning, again, it plays the tracks and i can hear them, but stops within a few seconds, buffer overrun.

my friend did a remote check on my computer and saw i had a lot of atapi event 11 errors, and controller error on device / port 1. i even put an edl on my c drive, where saw is, and the same thing happened. i have my edls on drive e.

so before i just get another computer, is this a driver thing, and if so, i read something about asio drivers. i am not technical, but my friend can help me update drivers if that's it. or a hardware problem? we couldn't see any problems with the disk drives. but maybe motherboard failing?

or how about someone sell me a machine that is optimized for saw and i will just dump this machine! i used to use it for the internet so that could have been the problem. i have thousands of dollars worth of tracks so i don't mind spending a bit to get another computer. although my friend is helping me optimize this computer just for music and i won't get on the internet unless it's to download something related to saw.

thanks in advance,

paul

Default Re: Yet again buffer overrun, atapi 11 event and controller error on device port 1

or if there is no hardware problem or problem with a connection to the drives, maybe wipe out OS and put windows XP on? i remember saw ran well when i had an xp machine.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Yet again buffer overrun, atapi 11 event and controller error on device port 1

Paul,

Q1: "First-things-first"....do you have a backup?
    Note: This may be a drive error.

Q2: Seriously now, what has changed since the time it was working to the time it was not working?

Q3: How many drives do you have installed?

Q4: You need to determine which drive is on which port?

Q5: How old are the drives?

Q6: How old is the system?

Q7: You mentioned, "we couldn't see any problems with the disk drives"...do you know what specifically was done to determine this?
    Note: I sincerely hope that you have a previous backup before doing any drives checks.

Sounds like impending drive failure to me. Backup everything ASAP. Then get a new drive.
    Michael McInnis Productions

You stated you moved edl to where Saw is. If that is a different drive than to me me it sounds more like a drive controler.
    Which in most MB would be intigerated.
    More setup info might help.

Warren
    Warren @ The Masters Tracks

Blog Entries

Warren,

Paul did state,
    "... i even put an edl on my c drive, where saw is, and the same thing happened. i have my edls on drive e."

just backed up all my edls (phew) from my e drive to another drive.

my friend does seem to think it might be the controller on the MB. he will come over and test the connections later. but, really, i think i am going to get another computer.

do you think put xp on it? we just bought a new C drive so i can use that. and he thinks my audio drive, e, is okay too.

any recommendations on where to get a computer? i need a firewire port, or one where i can transfer this port to it.

thanks

I would say that the big difficulty with putting XP on a new computer is that there almost certainly will not be XP drivers for the machine's internal (on the mobo) hardware. New computers now come with W10 installed, and usually the home version, which you have to registry-hack to stop Auto Update (you set all Internet connections as "metered"... do a search for instructions). You MIGHT be able to downgrade to Win7, but the pesky license ain't cheap. You may need the new machine, but be prepared for hours of hassle taming the new tiger.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Paul,
    ...any recommendations on where to get a computer?
    ...New? Used? Money?...It would be "nice" to be a bit more specific?

Also, maybe ask your friend to see what he can come up with?

My last few machines have been built by a local shop. Very competitive pricing, great flexibility on parts to include, and no shipping costs or delays. Also, that relationship gets me quick diagnostics and repairs when needed. This forum has been a good place to get recommendations on components to specify.

HTH
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com