Close

Blog Entries

Default OT: Should we have a "Troubleshooting" sticky?

Hello,

Attachment 2668

We do get a number of posts dealing with "things not working as they should", and I thought that it might be helpful/useful to have a "Troubleshooting" sticky.

As some members state that they are "non-techies" this might be very useful to them.

I have a principle that states, "If I do not know what questions to ask, how can I be expected to get the answers?"

For example, a lot of my clients are unaware that a computer consist of two major components, namely, 1) hardware and, 2) software. I then tell them that the majority of issues that I experience are software-related and not so much hardware-related. I also ensure that they understand warranties and such, and then help them to understand the importance of the backing-up of their data.

I then consider the Arthur Conan Doyle quote, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." And, as we who do support/service work discover, most of the issues are "user-related" - simply meaning that these issues are generally more software-related than hardware-related. I then ask, "Does anyone else use the computer or are you the sole user?

Anyhow, what do you think?

Default Re: OT: Should we have a "Troubleshooting" sticky?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

Attachment 2668

We do get a number of posts dealing with "things not working as they should", and I thought that it might be helpful/useful to have a "Troubleshooting" sticky.

Anyhow, what do you think?
    The number of issues that come up (and this is true of SAW as well) are so varied, as are the machines the systems are run on, that I would think an entire forum would be in order, rather than a single sticky thread. That is, if something were to be implemented along these lines.