Hello,

Attachment 2668

We do get a number of posts dealing with "things not working as they should", and I thought that it might be helpful/useful to have a "Troubleshooting" sticky.

As some members state that they are "non-techies" this might be very useful to them.

I have a principle that states, "If I do not know what questions to ask, how can I be expected to get the answers?"

For example, a lot of my clients are unaware that a computer consist of two major components, namely, 1) hardware and, 2) software. I then tell them that the majority of issues that I experience are software-related and not so much hardware-related. I also ensure that they understand warranties and such, and then help them to understand the importance of the backing-up of their data.

I then consider the Arthur Conan Doyle quote, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." And, as we who do support/service work discover, most of the issues are "user-related" - simply meaning that these issues are generally more software-related than hardware-related. I then ask, "Does anyone else use the computer or are you the sole user?

Anyhow, what do you think?