Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Long time, no see...everything has changed...

One additional note that I find helpful when setting things up for what channels you want recorded.

Before this step - 13. Control Click on the first SAW Studio Input Channel Record Button -

Darken all of the SAC channels you actually want to record - let's say you have active inputs channels 1-24. Select those (turn the channel numbers black). Then when you go back to SAW and choose Options --> SAC Link Options --> Import Mix Data from SAC Input Channels again. This will update your SAW info so that it know which channels to arm for recording. Now CTRL/Click the first channel in SAW and only those channels you have selected in SAC will be armed for recording in SAW.

If you don't select the channels in SAC as I've suggested here, SAW will arm all the channels from SAC that are enabled. If you have inputs in SAC enabled, but do not want to record them in SAW, then try what I've suggested.

An alternative to this method would be to select the SAC inputs you will want to record before ever selecting Options --> SAC Link Options --> Import Mix Data from SAC Input Channels in SAW (step 7). After you've first selected these SAC input channels, then choose the import SAC Data choice and only those channels will be armed for recording when you CTRL/Click your first SAW track.

Hope this doesn't make it confusing. I have found it to be an invaluable help and leaves SAW clean and uncluttered of SAC input/output and return channel info that I do not need for a dry track recording... especially when I've got multiple outputs active in SAC that aren't needed in SAW.

P.S. you can use this method of updating SAW's record channel assignments whenever you change the SAC channel info, including names and active/inactive, or selected inputs, too. I find the useful, when channel assignments get changed on me on the fly, just before a set is to begin. You might find it equally useful, depending on how much time you have to check and confirm your record tracks.
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 08-22-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Blog Entries

UpTilDawn,

Thanks for the update...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    UpTilDawn,

Thanks for the update...
    There are a couple of gotchas that can throw a hitch into an otherwise great feature enhancement...

When updating channel label changes and choosing fewer channels to import mix data than previously imported, there's always the chance that some track channels in SAW will retain the old track labels and settings, if they are left out of any updating in SAC. A way to avoid this potential issue would be to always update and include the same channels, or more than previously selected... clearing old labels for channels that are no longer being used, but kept active in SAC, for instance.

It's all very easy and very time saving, once you've done it a couple times.

Blog Entries

Hello,

Philip and UpTilDawn...thank you for this information.

It works as noted, along with the updates.

Now, if I can do it...anyone should be able to do it!

PS: A note of thanks to Bob for making SAC and SAW work so well together! What a team!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Frank View Post

I found a couple tutorials, but nothing that showed how to use just SAW. This is going to be a super simple recording - just 24 channels dry, post-attenuation - so I would like to use just SAW if possible.
    There are over 50 tutorials there to show you how to use SawStudio, I am guessing you did not look to the right index and see "Tutorials"?

Blog Entries

Hello,

I have put together the information provided by cgrafx and UpTilDawn into a single, printable pdf file.

Have a peep: Recording a SAC Mix Session using SAWStudio

PS: Let me know if there are any errors.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

I have put together the information provided by cgrafx and UpTilDawn into a single, printable pdf file.

Have a peep: Recording a SAC Mix Session using SAWStudio

PS: Let me know if there are any errors.
    Nice going!
    There's a couple of details I want to check this evening, when I've got more time... there's at least one point that may not work exactly as you laid it out there, too. If you have the chance to check this out with your own gear, I hope you've tested these steps to be sure it works as anticipated.

In particular, it may be that SAC needs to be LIVE in order for the Import Data to take place in SAW.
    Also, check to see if you might be better served to leave SAC LIVE after setting it up the way you want it and before opening SAW. It might save some going back and forth... maybe even pre-blackening the SAC channels you want to record, if it is known at that point.

There's also a couple things I want to check about the behavior of both SAC and SAW, when switching back and forth and the use of the H/S and the Sac/Saw links... on my systems I have to fiddle around to get the back and forth to display properly, but don't recall exactly at the moment. You may want to test on your own setup, because it may just be mine.

One last thing - I have run into a problem in the past when stopping a recording with the transport buttons, while they are overlaid with SAC. I need to test that behavior again before I commit to my idea of it, but it may be better to stay safe and only stop a recording after first making SAW the active view.

Blog Entries

Hello,

I have updated the text...tested it out, and simplified the procedure. I would still refer to the previous text for more detail. Thus the change in the name.

Recording a SAC Mix Session using SAWStudio: Simplified

Note: Live does not need to be enabled to import the data into SAWStudio. Also, I believe that you are better served to leave SAC LIVE after setting it up the way you want it prior to launching SAWStudio.

Blog Entries

I am not understanding why people are talking about SAC here as the OP said he does not need to mix he just needs to record. All he needs is SAW...easy as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    I am not understanding why people are talking about SAC here as the OP said he does not need to mix he just needs to record. All he needs is SAW...easy as that.
    Because its easier to use SAC as a front end to SAW for recording than using SAW alone, particularly for somebody that isn't familiar with SAW Studio.

SAC provides all the low latency input setup allowing for simple live monitoring of the input channels or even a nice mix while allowing SAW Studio to record in the background without having to do any additional input/output patching.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.