Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Long time, no see...everything has changed...

Hey guys!

Man...it's been a long, long time since I have perused the forum. I have been a SAC user for many years (albeit, on somewhat of an audio hiatus for the past year or so), and a SAW *owner* for just as many years. Unfortunately, I discovered early on that my passion for live mixing did NOT cross over into studio recording/mixing. So my SAW icon on my Desktop has collected more dust than my awesome SAC rig. That said...

I got a call about a month ago from a theatre that wants me to record their performance. They requested 32 channels, but my SAC rig is only 24x24. They said, "We can do this with 24 channels," and have subsequently hired me to record this performance. In preparation, I dusted off the ol' SAC rig, fired her up, plugged in a microphone and speaker, and whatayaknow! She still sounds great! HA!

The problem...

Not having ever used SAW, I'm completely unfamiliar with it. And not having used SAC for well over a year, it's clear I'm going to need to play around with it for refamiliarize myself with it. So I have 2 questions:

1) Because I'm not actually doing any live mixing, do I need to use SAC at all? I assume I can run SAW without SAC, yes? I've just never done it before...which brings me to #2.

2) Is there a basic SAW tutorial out there somewhere? This website (forum) has changed drastically, so I'm not sure where to look. YouTube and Google searches turned up nothing. A forum search netted a ton of results, but nothing that looked like just a basic "how to get started" tutorial.

I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Thanx!

Donnie Frank
    Last edited by Donnie Frank; 08-21-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)