Close

Default For the Love of God, Not again!!! I just want to make music!

re my post about buffer overrun, we found out the windows registry was corrupt. ran little registry cleaner. thought it fixed it all up. saw running fast, edls loading fast.

now this morning, i try to open saw, so slow. then i open an edl and get, the file etc is an unsupported file format, hit ctrl ok to skip warnings etc. i try to do that and it just takes forever to the next similar warning.

i run little cleaner again. 41 more problems. i clear them and saw still doing the same thing. i think this is a windows problem, not saw. i didn't have that warning when i worked on the track yesterday. maybe it is time to switch computers to clean install of windows.

does anyone have any idea what is going on?
    thanks

Default Re: For the Love of God, Not again!!! I just want to make music!

I've never regretted re-installing Windows. Always an improvement over yesterday's performance.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    re my post about buffer overrun, we found out the windows registry was corrupt. ran little registry cleaner. thought it fixed it all up. saw running fast, edls loading fast.

now this morning, i try to open saw, so slow. then i open an edl and get, the file etc is an unsupported file format, hit ctrl ok to skip warnings etc. i try to do that and it just takes forever to the next similar warning.

i run little cleaner again. 41 more problems. i clear them and saw still doing the same thing. i think this is a windows problem, not saw. i didn't have that warning when i worked on the track yesterday. maybe it is time to switch computers to clean install of windows.

does anyone have any idea what is going on?
    thanks
    For what it's worth, I installed SAW Basic with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo on Windows 10 about six months ago and I am still getting buffer underrun errors every time I run the program. I have been up and down the buffer settings with no results. Fortunately, for the type of work I do with SAW, it's only a minor nuisance. I'd imagine anyone who records more track-intensive projects must be very frustrated by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    For what it's worth, I installed SAW Basic with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo on Windows 10 about six months ago and I am still getting buffer underrun errors every time I run the program. I have been up and down the buffer settings with no results. Fortunately, for the type of work I do with SAW, it's only a minor nuisance. I'd imagine anyone who records more track-intensive projects must be very frustrated by this.
    Buffer underrun errors are generally related to the speed of the storage system.

what sort of system (laptop, desktop, cpu) are you running and what kind of hard drive is being used for storage?
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Buffer underrun errors are generally related to the speed of the storage system.

what sort of system (laptop, desktop, cpu) are you running and what kind of hard drive is being used for storage?
    Thanks for jumping in cgrafx, but I'm done trying to fix this problem. It's a Dell desktop with Windows 10. All the specs you asked about have gone out of my head, but it's about seven years newer than my previous Dell desktop, which ran an old Behringer interface flawlessly, so I think it's just another example of new stuff sucking.

I think you may have been the one who warned me about the tricks Windows 10 plays that can screw up audio. I ran through all the Windows tweaks that Bob suggested, plus all the interface adjustments suggested by members of this forum, and nothing solved the problem. I don't want to spend any more time wracking my brain over this stuff. It does what it needs to do well enough to get me through my projects, so no more twitching and sleepless nights for me.

My point in responding to this post was just to let the OP know he's not alone!

my computer expert friend came over and we reconnected my E drive (which has the edls) to another port on the motherboard. so far everything is running perfectly. so diagnosis: bad port on the motherboard. it was failing.

i may switch computers anyway. sometimes it doesn't read my external backup drives that are connected through usb ports. it says unrecognized device.

but for now it's stable. i mean, what a relief to play and edl all the way through, edit, work on it, etc.

Blog Entries

Paul,

So what lesson have you leant here?

As a suggestion, why not hire this "computer expert friend" of yours in the future, DV, to either build a new system for you, or to spec out a used system, and then ask him to perform all of the necessary tweaks - and maybe even install the drivers and software.

All you have to at that point is simply "to use it".

If,and when, problems arise, he can then take care of this issues for you. The money spent here is well worth it.