Close

Default Windows 7, 32 vs 64 bit

OK, so this still pertains to my ongoing struggle to get a laptop, other than my old Acer, to stay in sync with my Mackie Onyx 1640i. I ran another test tonight, recorded multiple tracks for 2 hours. At 17 min in, it lost sync again, even with the Startech FW card with the TI chipset.

So here's my latest theory. Please tell me if I am on the right track here. I think it has to do with the two major versions of Windows 7, 32 bit and 64 bit. My old Acer has Win 7 Pro, 32 bit. But the newer laptop I bought has the 64 bit version. I have seen posts that say the Onyx driver is really buggy with the 64 bit version. Mackie only has one driver for Win 7, they don't say anything about the two versions. Is it possible or likely that this is the issue?

Regardless, I think I'm just at the point where I am going to hook two Focusrite Pro 40's together to make a 16 analog input interface. The laptop sees it as one interface. The Onyx mixer has two DB 25 outputs on the back that send the 16 outs that would normally go out the Firewire port in analog form. I used to record a lot with my Pro 40 with a Behringer Ultragain Pro for 8 more inputs, worked great for years. I will start testing the relationship between the one Pro 40 I have and the laptop to make sure it's not buggy. If all is good, I'll just buy a second Pro 40 and the two DB 25 snakes. There are two ways to hook up the Pro 40's that work, they can be daisy chained via Fireweire, they are designed to work that way, or I can use the ADAT ports. Either way is supposed to work just fine and I have seen numerous reports of just that.

So, Win7, 32 bit good, Win 7, 64 bit, bad? (as far as the Onyx driver goes anyway!)

These drivers are notoriously BAD! It's all over forums and blogs, everywhere.

Default Re: Windows 7, 32 vs 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by demodoc View Post
    OK, so this still pertains to my ongoing struggle to get a laptop, other than my old Acer, to stay in sync with my Mackie Onyx 1640i. I ran another test tonight, recorded multiple tracks for 2 hours. At 17 min in, it lost sync again, even with the Startech FW card with the TI chipset.

So here's my latest theory. Please tell me if I am on the right track here. I think it has to do with the two major versions of Windows 7, 32 bit and 64 bit. My old Acer has Win 7 Pro, 32 bit. But the newer laptop I bought has the 64 bit version. I have seen posts that say the Onyx driver is really buggy with the 64 bit version. Mackie only has one driver for Win 7, they don't say anything about the two versions. Is it possible or likely that this is the issue?

Regardless, I think I'm just at the point where I am going to hook two Focusrite Pro 40's together to make a 16 analog input interface. The laptop sees it as one interface. The Onyx mixer has two DB 25 outputs on the back that send the 16 outs that would normally go out the Firewire port in analog form. I used to record a lot with my Pro 40 with a Behringer Ultragain Pro for 8 more inputs, worked great for years. I will start testing the relationship between the one Pro 40 I have and the laptop to make sure it's not buggy. If all is good, I'll just buy a second Pro 40 and the two DB 25 snakes. There are two ways to hook up the Pro 40's that work, they can be daisy chained via Fireweire, they are designed to work that way, or I can use the ADAT ports. Either way is supposed to work just fine and I have seen numerous reports of just that.

So, Win7, 32 bit good, Win 7, 64 bit, bad? (as far as the Onyx driver goes anyway!)

These drivers are notoriously BAD! It's all over forums and blogs, everywhere.

I'm pretty sure the driver doesn't care about the version of windows 7.

I can't remember if you said your old Acer was still maintaining sync. I believe you indicated that it was not.

If that is the case, I'd suggest that there may be problem with your Mackie interface. Its the one thing you haven't changed and your still seeing problems.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

It works perfectly with the old Acer. I have two Onyx 1640i mixers both the older vintage ones, they both act the same so it is not them. It just doesn't like the Dell E 6510 with a Startech FW express card, which has the TI chipset that is supposed to be so good. At first, with that card, it worked pretty well. I recorded for 2 hours one nght last week and it lost sync at 68 min in. Tonight, it only took 17 minutes for it to go south. All I know is, the old laptop is great, while it still runs....
    I have done the Win 7 tweaks and turned off wifi, antivirus etc.
    Last edited by demodoc; 08-22-2017 at 11:43 PM.

Blog Entries

I have the Onyx 1220i and us it on Win 7 64bit with no issues. I would not use SAW on anything other then XP or Win 7 these are the most stable OS's to use SAW/MWS on.

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    I have the Onyx 1220i and us it on Win 7 64bit with no issues. I would not use SAW on anything other then XP or Win 7 these are the most stable OS's to use SAW/MWS on.

Agreed!

Well, I just can't get the Dell E 6510 with Startech FW Express card and the Onyx 1640i to play nice with each other. Eventually, I may try yet another laptop. In the meantime, my trusty 8 year old Acer Aspire just keeps chugging along and it LOVES the Onyx! Go figure. What I am going to do though is get 2 DB 25 snakes and a second Focusrite Pro 40 (since they are being blown out cheap) so I will be ale to record 16 track that way with the Dell or any other system that doesn't like the Onyx. A little more wiring and a bit lower tech but it will work just fine!

One question I have for you: Does the serial number on your mixer start with 003 or 204? If it starts with 003, as mine does, that is the older series and if it starts with 204, it is newer. They have completely different chipsets and require a different driver! If I had the 204 version, I probably wouldn't be having the trouble I am having.
    Last edited by demodoc; 08-24-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by demodoc View Post
    Agreed!

Well, I just can't get the Dell E 6510 with Startech FW Express card and the Onyx 1640i to play nice with each other. Eventually, I may try yet another laptop. In the meantime, my trusty 8 year old Acer Aspire just keeps chugging along and it LOVES the Onyx! Go figure. What I am going to do though is get 2 DB 25 snakes and a second Focusrite Pro 40 (since they are being blown out cheap) so I will be ale to record 16 track that way with the Dell or any other system that doesn't like the Onyx. A little more wiring and a bit lower tech but it will work just fine!

One question I have for you: Does the serial number on your mixer start with 003 or 204? If it starts with 003, as mine does, that is the older series and if it starts with 204, it is newer. They have completely different chipsets and require a different driver! If I had the 204 version, I probably wouldn't be having the trouble I am having.
    I have the 003 and it works with XP, Win7 32/64 and works on with my Mac Pro running Win7 and MacOS Sierra