Close

Default Another 70s rock star is gone...

Walter Becker, Steely Dan Guitarist, Dies at 67.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Default Re: Another 70s rock star is gone...

Just a few weeks ago, I was chatting with one of the session guitar players who recorded one of the eight solos for Steely Dan's "Peg" back in '77 (I won't say who it was because his track obviously didn't get picked!) and he was telling me that the vibe he got from Walter Becker back then was that he was a little miffed that HE didn't get to play that famous solo. I hope he got over it forty years later. RIP, Walter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Just a few weeks ago, I was chatting with one of the session guitar players who recorded one of the eight solos for Steely Dan's "Peg" back in '77 (I won't say who it was because his track obviously didn't get picked!) and he was telling me that the vibe he got from Walter Becker back then was that he was a little miffed that HE didn't get to play that famous solo. I hope he got over it forty years later. RIP, Walter.
    You'd think he'd have some say.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    You'd think he'd have some say.
    Not in the case of Steely Dan.
    Roger Nichols always did a awesome job of putting together those great albums and they went through hell putting those songs together.
    Countless drum edits down to single bars - I would have never done it that way but obviously the end results were good.
    Personally I prefer the first two albums over the later stuff which sounded more like a band playing rather than piece work.
    RIP Walter - you gave us some great music.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Miskimon View Post
    Not in the case of Steely Dan.
    Roger Nichols always did a awesome job of putting together those great albums and they went through hell putting those songs together.
    Countless drum edits down to single bars - I would have never done it that way but obviously the end results were good.
    Personally I prefer the first two albums over the later stuff which sounded more like a band playing rather than piece work.
    RIP Walter - you gave us some great music.
    How in the hell were they editing drums back then? Were they splicing the two-inch?

BTW -- saw Steve Gadd backup JT here on July 3. I'm pretty sure it was all live (no editing). I'm hoping the storied tale of the "Aja" single (live) drum take is true.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 09-05-2017 at 04:02 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

How in the hell were they editing drums back then? Were they splicing the two-inch?
    Electronic programmable drums: http://rogernichols.com/Wendel
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    Electronic programmable drums: http://rogernichols.com/Wendel
    Looks like early sampling/sequencing to me. Or was it the forerunner of digital audio editing as we now know it?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Looks like early sampling/sequencing to me. Or was it the forerunner of digital audio editing as we now know it?
    You're correct; as I understand it, he used sampled drums for "Wendel". How he manipulated those samples I don't recall, but there's a lot of information on-line about his early work. I remember reading about him in Mix Magazine back in the day (...or was it called "Recording Engineer/Producer" back then???)
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    You're correct; as I understand it, he used sampled drums for "Wendel". How he manipulated those samples I don't recall, but there's a lot of information on-line about his early work. I remember reading about him in Mix Magazine back in the day (...or was it called "Recording Engineer/Producer" back then???)
    Mix and R E/P were different magazines, more or less competitors. I do no remember whether R E/P was purchased by the owners of Mix after R E/P folded. I do know that for a time, R E/P was better for useful technical articles.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    Mix and R E/P were different magazines, more or less competitors. I do no remember whether R E/P was purchased by the owners of Mix after R E/P folded. I do know that for a time, R E/P was better for useful technical articles.
    I didn't remember whether or not they arrived concurrently... but obviously they did. I've been getting Mix digitally, and it's difficult to find time to read it. And it too often focuses on existing studio promotion and new gear introduction anyway, rather than providing really helpful information; R E/P was much more informative, as you've noted.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording