Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default SAC - SAW recording combination

To those of you using SAC as a front end to SAW for recording:

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in this forum, but I'd like to ask about a specific issue I'm having. I've got signal input to SAW, as well as monitoring working fine, but thought that level TO SAW through SAC would be controlled by SAC's fader levels -- as they would with a physical mixer. I have been able only to raise or lower the monitoring volume that way; not the record level. I have to physically change the level presented by the converter input knobs. I can do that, but it seems counter-productive.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Default Re: SAC - SAW recording combination

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    To those of you using SAC as a front end to SAW for recording:

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in this forum, but I'd like to ask about a specific issue I'm having. I've got signal input to SAW, as well as monitoring working fine, but thought that level TO SAW through SAC would be controlled by SAC's fader levels -- as they would with a physical mixer. I have been able only to raise or lower the monitoring volume that way; not the record level. I have to physically change the level presented by the converter input knobs. I can do that, but it seems counter-productive.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

I don't have my system up at the moment, so can't tell you what to change...
    But the system is designed to bypass SAC's faders by default, so that the SAW recording is unaffected by changes to the mixer controls... except for the attenuation/gain settings at SAC's input. I know the tap point for SAW can be changed. It should be easy to find if you peck around the SAC menus some. I will see what I can discover, when I've got the system up later today and post back, if you don't have a definitive answer by then.

Blog Entries

Hello,

Is this what you are looking for?:

Attachment 2681

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

Is this what you are looking for?:

Attachment 2681
    Hi Dell,

I've already tried that (it seems logical), but SAW's input level is not affected by SAC's level, no matter which setting I choose.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Hi Dell,

I've already tried that (it seems logical), but SAW's input level is not affected by SAC's level, no matter which setting I choose.
    Hmmmm, I just noticed there isn't a post fader tap point choice, is there?
    I never really gave it much thought before, because the default post attenuator works fine for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Hmmmm, I just noticed there isn't a post fader tap point choice, is there?
    I never really gave it much thought before, because the default post attenuator works fine for my needs.
    There isn't a post fader TAP point because that would be a disaster.

Every time you adjust the live mix volume you'd be changing your record levels. Bring the level up too much and you've just destroyed your recording by clipping. Drop the level or bring it to zero and now you've lost the channel entirely.

You don't record that way. Using SAC/SAW combined only allows you to use SAC as the monitoring mixer, with a bit of extra functionality included to let you TAP the source signal part way into the SAC channel strip. Traditionally though, you'd pretty much always want to tap the source at the top of the signal chain in the same way that you would if you did a mic split.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Generally you do not want to record input processing and level changes during the live mix... the idea of the Multitrack recording is to record the individual tracks for eqin and mixing later.

If you want to record a final mix stem use the record bus assignments in the SAC 4x version... this will allow you to assign an outbut bus to the recording and will record the eq, compression and level changes during the mix.

Bob L

Blog Entries

Bob,
    If you want to record a final mix stem use the record bus assignments in the SAC 4x version... this will allow you to assign an outbut bus to the recording and will record the eq, compression and level changes during the mix.
    ....Another great feature set, Bob!! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Generally you do not want to record input processing and level changes during the live mix... the idea of the Multitrack recording is to record the individual tracks for eqin and mixing later.

Bob L
    I'm not referring to a live mix/recording situation. My thought is to replace my studio's hardware console with SAC, and therefore I want to capture the e.q. as I set it when tracking, just as my current hardware console does. I won't print effects -- I'll just send any of those requested by talent to the cue headphones, but I will want to print e.q. and print levels.

So, I'm understanding that doing so is possible only in SAC 4x. I'll include that upgrade in my plans. Thanks for the reply, Bob. And thanks to all others who responded.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

I'm not referring to a live mix/recording situation. My thought is to replace my studio's hardware console with SAC, and therefore I want to capture the e.q. as I set it when tracking, just as my current hardware console does. I won't print effects -- I'll just send any of those requested by talent to the cue headphones, but I will want to print e.q. and print levels.

So, I'm understanding that doing so is possible only in SAC 4x. I'll include that upgrade in my plans. Thanks for the reply, Bob. And thanks to all others who responded.
    I don't think Bob is saying that upgrading to 4x will give you multitrack/channel control of printing eq, etc. He mentions assigning a SAC output bus - but to me that says a stereo mix... just noting this. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me.