Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT: ADAT Cables and Feed Through Connectors

Anybody here using or have used ADAT/Toslink feed through panel mount connectors like these?

http://www.switchcraft.com/Product_T...eh_toslink.png (sorry picture is too large to post).

I'm using a pair of them to connect ADAT connections between two preamp racks.
    But I'm having trouble with consistent sync at the computer.
    I found that if I bypass one feed through and plug one rack out directly from the preamp to the other feed through, then I can establish and keep sync right away.

It's really curious to me that I don't seem to be able to get reliable sync, since I'm only using three 1.5 ft cables and the two interconnects. I've tried another panel connector and two other cables, with no change. As soon as I take one cable and connector out of the configuration, everything is fine.

Does anybody have any ideas on what's causing this issue of not being able to use the second connector and a third cable?
    I could sure use some insight, so I might figure out how to solve the problem - other than not using those two things... that defeats the purpose of using the feed through connectors.

Default Re: OT: ADAT Cables and Feed Through Connectors

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Anybody here using or have used ADAT/Toslink feed through panel mount connectors like these?

http://www.switchcraft.com/Product_T...eh_toslink.png (sorry picture is too large to post).

I'm using a pair of them to connect ADAT connections between two preamp racks.
    But I'm having trouble with consistent sync at the computer.
    I found that if I bypass one feed through and plug one rack out directly from the preamp to the other feed through, then I can establish and keep sync right away.

It's really curious to me that I don't seem to be able to get reliable sync, since I'm only using three 1.5 ft cables and the two interconnects. I've tried another panel connector and two other cables, with no change. As soon as I take one cable and connector out of the configuration, everything is fine.

Does anybody have any ideas on what's causing this issue of not being able to use the second connector and a third cable?
    I could sure use some insight, so I might figure out how to solve the problem - other than not using those two things... that defeats the purpose of using the feed through connectors.
    It sounds like you've identified the feed-through connector as the problem. If that same troubleshooting test gets the same result on the other one, it sure looks like the connectors are not working for you. Maybe there are better connectors somewhere? Or maybe your source light signal is weak? Just guessing, here.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    It sounds like you've identified the feed-through connector as the problem. If that same troubleshooting test gets the same result on the other one, it sure looks like the connectors are not working for you. Maybe there are better connectors somewhere? Or maybe your source light signal is weak? Just guessing, here.
    So far, it's been the same results with multiple cables and at least two of the connectors. I'm leaning toward the light signal being too weak to work consistently with this combination.
    Does signal transference vary a lot from one manufacturer to another?
    Maybe I need to look at a better cable.... but does price equate to better in this case?

So far, it's been the same results with multiple cables and at least two of the connectors. I'm leaning toward the light signal being too weak to work consistently with this combination.
    Maybe I need to look at a better cable.... but does price equate to better in this case?
    Good question. Maybe do some research on the best cables and connectors (conventional wisdom/reviews)? You could also try buying a signal booster. I assume they exist. Probably not an inexpensive option, of course.

Reaching out (God, I hate that expression) to the various manufacturers might yield some good info, too.
    Becket, Massachusetts

I suggest running word clock. I never sync to ADAT because I've run into situations similar to yours or other cases where I simply could not establish reliable clock sync via ADAT (like between a LynxTwo/LS-ADAT and a AD/DA).

When using ADAT I always clock via WC.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Digital View Post
    I suggest running word clock. I never sync to ADAT because I've run into situations similar to yours or other cases where I simply could not establish reliable clock sync via ADAT (like between a LynxTwo/LS-ADAT and a AD/DA).

When using ADAT I always clock via WC.
    As do I. I am using ADAT to get the 8 channels out of the pre and into the RME Digiface.

I've got preamps split between two rack cases. One contains the first 32 channels and can be run as a system on its own, with its own Digiface installed in the rack case (well 24 channels at least). The second case is a full 16 channel system, with a second Digiface, a Compressor/limiter and an SD/CF/CD recorder. The two linked together give me 48 channels and a convenient way to record a two-track separately from the PC as well as two sets of balanced XLR stereo outputs for radio and video feed (should I need it).

It's because I choose to have the flexibility of a 16-ch, 24-ch, or 48-ch in weight-conscious rack arrangements that I need to pass one ADAT line between the two racks. By using a panel mounted ADAT feed through, it eliminates the need to reach around in the dark and in very tight quarters to plug and unplug an ADAT cable and gives me a better opportunity to spread out the two racks in case I can not stack them for some reason. At least that's the intention. In fact, I've moved all of the connections to panel mount connections that I generally need to reach in to the rack to connect/disconnect. Everything works great, except for this ADAT line.

Sorry for being dense, but how is it that you're losing sync if your sync is word-clock-derived? How could your ADAT connection have an impact on that (as it appears to)? It seems to suggest that your word-clock isn't really doing it. Are you sure you have the sync settings set to W/C and not ADAT? Gotta ask.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 10-05-2017 at 07:56 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Sorry for being dense, but how is it that you're losing sync if your sync word-clock-derived? How could your ADAT connection have an impact on that (as it appears to)? It seems to suggest that your word-clock isn't really doing it. Are you sure you have the sync settings set to W/C and not ADAT? Gotta ask.
    It's the SyncCheck indicator for ADAT connections in the Hammerfall HDSP Settings for ADAT 1 of card two. When hooking up the second ADAT feed through, the ADAT 1 flips between Lock and Sync repeatedly. I get no signal through from the preamp that is connected to ADAT 1 input when nothing at all is displayed for ADAT 1/card 2, while I am still getting signal through on all the channels of card 1.

I haven't recorded anything with this new rack feed through setup, so I don't know if I am getting sync for all the available channels. I suspect that I am, since everything is tied with wc and wc is my AutoSync Ref. in the Hammerfall settings, too.

So, I don't know that I'm 'losing' sync, but I can't attain sync for that ADAT line without removing the second feed through and one ADAT cable, which also means that I don't get all my channels without it.

Make sure only one source is your master clock... if the souncard is set to master or internal clock, then the converters (Behringer or whatever) must be all set to ADAT sync (or WC), so only one source of clock is seen within the setup.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Make sure only one source is your master clock... if the souncard is set to master or internal clock, then the converters (Behringer or whatever) must be all set to ADAT sync (or WC), so only one source of clock is seen within the setup.

Bob L
    Right - Good point. I will double check that nothing has changed in that respect.