Close

Default Output mono tracks?

How do I output for example two mono tracks to my analog mixer in the same order as they are in SAW. Track 1 in SAW to channel 1 on analog mixer, track 2 in SAW to channel 2 on analog mixer.
    In SAW the output buses are in stereo pair 1+2, 3+4, ......
    Tried to pan R/L, only L and only R but think I got confused abot the whole thing.
    I know it sounds crazy to work that way when working in SAW, but I would like to do it just for experimenting, or do it in the old style, kind of hybrid DAW.
    If I could get SAW to output as I described I would load about 16 tracks.
    Just experimenting now with two tracks.
    As it is now track 2 will not go out to channel 2 on analog mixer.
    Any ideas?

Default Re: Output mono tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by Göran Nordberg View Post
    How do I output for example two mono tracks to my analog mixer in the same order as they are in SAW. Track 1 in SAW to channel 1 on analog mixer, track 2 in SAW to channel 2 on analog mixer.
    In SAW the output buses are in stereo pair 1+2, 3+4, ......
    Tried to pan R/L, only L and only R but think I got confused abot the whole thing.
    I know it sounds crazy to work that way when working in SAW, but I would like to do it just for experimenting, or do it in the old style, kind of hybrid DAW.
    If I could get SAW to output as I described I would load about 16 tracks.
    Just experimenting now with two tracks.
    As it is now track 2 will not go out to channel 2 on analog mixer.
    Any ideas?
    Göran,

If you assign both tracks one and two to output 1 (that's the default), then pan track 1 left and track 2 right, that's it. You will, of course, have to have the hardware outputs associated with output 1 plugged into two mono tracks on your analog mixer.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

How easy..... me stupid took the output 2 from hardware ADA to analog mixer ch.2 and tried to pan it in SAW. My ADA:s is 16 in/ 16 out (6.3 plugs).
    As I understand it I have to use Y-cable from ADA output 1, could not belive both channel was there.
    I will try it to morrow.
    Thank You very much.

How easy..... me stupid took the output 2 from hardware ADA to analog mixer ch.2 and tried to pan it in SAW. My ADA:s is 16 in/ 16 out (6.3 plugs).
    As I understand it I have to use Y-cable from ADA output 1, could not belive both channel was there.
    I will try it to morrow.
    Thank You very much.
    You're welcome.

Do you mean you have two outputs on each plug via TRS jacks? Yes, you would need the proper "insert" type Y cable to break those out to two discrete plugs going into your mixer. What ADA do you have? I'm curious.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    You're welcome.

Do you mean you have two outputs on each plug via TRS jacks? Yes, you would need the proper "insert" type Y cable to break those out to two discrete plugs going into your mixer. What ADA do you have? I'm curious.
    I am trying out right now how to do, it is no need for any Y-cable.
    I have to pan track 1 in SAW left and track 2 right as You told me, and both tracks go to output bus 1 , and from my ADA output 1 to analog mixer ch.1 and output 2 from ADA to ch. 2 on analog mixer. Working fine now.
    This is my ADA : Ferrofish A 16 MKII https://ferrofish.com/en/products/a16-mk-ii/
    My soundcard is SSL MADI X-treme 64.
    Thank You for helping me out ,I had no idea of the panning, how to do it.

I am trying out right now how to do, it is no need for any Y-cable.
    I have to pan track 1 in SAW left and track 2 right as You told me, and both tracks go to output bus 1 , and from my ADA output 1 to analog mixer ch.1 and output 2 from ADA to ch. 2 on analog mixer. Working fine now.
    This is my ADA : Ferrofish A 16 MKII https://ferrofish.com/en/products/a16-mk-ii/
    My soundcard is SSL MADI X-treme 64.
    Thank You for helping me out ,I had no idea of the panning, how to do it.
    Nice looking hardware, you got, there.

Yes -- since SAW's multi-track is feeding SAW's mixer, it's much like a tape deck feeding an analog mixer that has several stereo output buses. You assign each track/channel to an output bus, then pan it hard to either side of the bus if you want it to feed only one output channel of the stereo pair. It's really designed to replace your hardware mixer, so you're sort of working around the redundancy (SAW's mixer plus your mixer).

I'm not sure, but I wonder if there's a way to configure the driver so that SAW only sees mono devices in it's setup page. That way, the track panning wouldn't be necessary (and wouldn't do anything); each output bus in SAW would consist of a single channel, which would correspond to each hardware output directly.

SAW may not be compatible with such a driver configuration, though; so I don't know if such a thing is possible, even if the driver can be configured that way.

Anyway -- I'm glad you got it working.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Nice looking hardware, you got, there.

Yes -- since SAW's multi-track is feeding SAW's mixer, it's much like a tape deck feeding an analog mixer that has several stereo output buses. You assign each track/channel to an output bus, then pan it hard to either side of the bus if you want it to feed only one output channel of the stereo pair. It's really designed to replace your hardware mixer, so you're sort of working around the redundancy (SAW's mixer plus your mixer).

I'm not sure, but I wonder if there's a way to configure the driver so that SAW only sees mono devices in it's setup page. That way, the track panning wouldn't be necessary (and wouldn't do anything); each output bus in SAW would consist of a single channel, which would correspond to each hardware output directly.

SAW may not be compatible with such a driver configuration, though; so I don't know if such a thing is possible, even if the driver can be configured that way.

Anyway -- I'm glad you got it working.

Yes, I know that SAW is constructed so You can record straight from Preamps or analog mixer into SAW and do all the tweakings there also thru external gear, very handy and I highly appreciate that possibility. That is one reason why I stay with SAW, I like it a lot for many reasons.
    But for now or just of curiosity I am experimenting this way, as I know that some studios do it so, back out to analog mixer. And then I know that I have tryed that, ha, ha...
    Anyway there is shure some configuration somewhere about the drivers and mono/stereo outputs , I really do not know.
    One thing that woluld be very interesting to discuss , that is peoples workflow how they do it . I think the workflow is very important and it takes a while to get it smoothly.
    Normally I record into SAW and do everything there and only output the masterbus to analog mixer for monitoring.

One reason others send their DAW channels to an external mixer is because in general, people are less than satisfied with the software mixing artifacts that occur in most DAWs when the mix is handled in the software mix engine directly due to the internal summing bus overloads and math artifacts... but the entire focus of SAW's mix engine design is to eliminate those issues and allow you to obtain crystal clean analog style results completely within the virtual mix engine.

There is no question that there is much more power if you stay in the software and utilize the automation and internal noise free eq, compressor and gate processing... compared to the additional noise from the circuitry of even the best analog consoles in the industry.

Most agree that the usual digital artifacts simply do not exist in the SAC and SAW engines.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    One reason others send their DAW channels to an external mixer is because in general, people are less than satisfied with the software mixing artifacts that occur in most DAWs when the mix is handled in the software mix engine directly due to the internal summing bus overloads and math artifacts... but the entire focus of SAW's mix engine design is to eliminate those issues and allow you to obtain crystal clean analog style results completely within the virtual mix engine.

There is no question that there is much more power if you stay in the software and utilize the automation and internal noise free eq, compressor and gate processing... compared to the additional noise from the circuitry of even the best analog consoles in the industry.

Most agree that the usual digital artifacts simply do not exist in the SAC and SAW engines.

Bob L

Great wisdom, good to know, luckily I can do it all in SAW.