Close

Blog Entries

Default OT: SAC as a physical mixing console

Hello,

As a point of interest, I have two questions:

Q1: If SAC was a physical mixer, just how good would it be "sound-wise"? How would it compare to the other "giants" - such as Yamaha, MIDAS, and so on.
    • If, as I understand it, and I do stand to be corrected here, as SAC does not have any I/O, then Bob would be required to design one? Correct? If so, it would be interesting to see what he would come up with.

Q2: If SAC is just as good - or even better as I believe it is, would, or does the quality or inequality of the I/O have any effect of the quality of the SAC engine itself?
    • For example, if the quality of the ADA-8000/ADA-8200 and RME combo already produces the output it already does, would the use of other, even more expensive I/O actually diminish, or even have a detrimental effect on the quality of SAC - as it is!

I do hope that I have asked these questions correctly or appropriately? I look forward to your responses.

Default Re: OT: SAC as a physical mixing console

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

As a point of interest, I have two questions:

Q1: If SAC was a physical mixer, just how good would it be "sound-wise"? How would it compare to the other "giants" - such as Yamaha, MIDAS, and so on.
    • If, as I understand it, and I do stand to be corrected here, as SAC does not have any I/O, then Bob would be required to design one? Correct? If so, it would be interesting to see what he would come up with.

Q2: If SAC is just as good - or even better as I believe it is, would, or does the quality or inequality of the I/O have any effect of the quality of the SAC engine itself?
    • For example, if the quality of the ADA-8000/ADA-8200 and RME combo already produces the output it already does, would the use of other, even more expensive I/O actually diminish, or even have a detrimental effect on the quality of SAC - as it is!

I do hope that I have asked these questions correctly or appropriately? I look forward to your responses.

The audio engine is world class and I do not hesitate to say competitive with any physical console, Midas, Yamaha, Digico, Avid, Soundcraft, Studer, etc. etc.

The I/O has no effect on the engine. It does have an impact on Latency, Noise, and general sound quality in as much as there are pre-amps and converters involved.

The better the preamps and converters the better and/or more accurate the input to output will be.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Philip,

Thanks for the reply.

When you are referring to the"audio engine", what - specifically, is that audio engine?

How would this audio engine equate to a component of a physical console?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Philip,

Thanks for the reply.

When you are referring to the"audio engine", what - specifically, is that audio engine?

How would this audio engine equate to a component of a physical console?
    The audio engine refers to all of the signal processing that occurs inside the computer between the AD and DA converters.

It includes all of the things you visually do in SAC from the top of the each channel strip to the output of each master channel.

EQ, Gates, Compression, Effects processing, Aux sends and summing, channel volume and summing, etc, etc.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Well, you can say that SAC is everything that in a 'physical mixer' is located behind the pre - amp and before the output - jacks.

Tomy
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

Quote Originally Posted by TomyN View Post
    Well, you can say that SAC is everything that in a 'physical mixer' is located behind the pre - amp and before the output - jacks.

Tomy
    Actually -- between the associated ADCs and DACs.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts