Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT: Spec for Windows 10 Computer for SawStudio Basic

After many years happily recording with a Windows XP computer (Pentium 4, 2.67 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Hard Drive split 40 GB for C, 450 GB for D) I'm planning to move to a Windows 10 machine, to be used, probably, with Fireface UC or Babyface Pro.

Given that I still normally record at 16/44.1, and have never needed more than 6 inputs - often fewer - I'd be grateful for any advice on the sort of spec that I'd want on a suitable Windows 10 machine. I was thinking of perhaps a 500 GB 'D' Drive, and 100 GB SSD 'C' Drive, but don't know what processor, and how much RAM, would be necessary, given the modest load the machine will be coping with.

Any thoughts on these points - or others that I should also be considering - will be received with great thanks!

JR

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: Spec for Windows 10 Computer for SawStudio Basic

Hello,

Before considering anything, I would strongly recommend considering a corporate-grade system with downgrade rights for Windows 7 Professional. It does add $70.00 to the price...but it is well worth it.

Then consider Lenovo/IBM, Dell then HP...at least this is the order I prefer.

You can obtain a system that can use 2 plus drives - so a smaller SSD for boot and a larger HDD drive for data.

At present, my rig has a 120GB SSD and a 500GB HDD. Lots and lots of space available on both.

I hope that you find this information useful?

Blog Entries

Hello,

By-the-way, are looking for a laptop or a desktop?

Many thanks! And to answer your question, the new machine will replace an existing desktop, so I was assuming a desktop would again be best?

Anyone have any thoughts on processor speed and amount of RAM, given the comparatively light load on the machine?

I should also have said that I never use large numbers of plugins, generally sticking to a couple of Bob's native ones, or the Sonoris linear phase equaliser, for example.

With thanks again

JR

Blog Entries

Hello,

It really depends on the OS. With WIN7, 4GB's is fine...8 might be better.

With WIN10, I have heard from many that the minimum should be 8GB's.

120GB SSD should be fine for boot and minimum apps - even though 120GB's will be pretty hard to find nowadays.

A 500GB mechanical drive is what I recommend for data...using the WD Black series drives. You can add HDD's more as the need arises and if the system allows for it.

Please remember the SAW and SAC are 32-bit apps...so any extra RAM is really superfluous.

Great! Thanks for the extra details.

John

Blog Entries

JR1,

Now, do you go "off the shelf" or "build your own"?

Regardless, the "rule of thumb" is that fully Intel is preferable over fully AMD.

For "off the shelf" stuff, look at IBM/Lenovo or Dell. And consider "corporate grade" over "home user" as well.

For "build your own", look at 1) case, 2) PSU, 3) motherboard, 4) CPU, 5) RAM, and 6) SSD/HDD.

For motherboards, consider ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte.

Hope this helps?

Once again, really helpful: much appreciated.

Given the intended load on the machine, mentioned in one of my earlier replies, any thoughts on suitable processor speed?

With renewed thanks

JR

Blog Entries

JR1,

For my current system, I am using an Intel Core i5-6500 Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 with 16GB's DDR4 RAM. The motherboard I am using is the ASUS Z-170P. But this hardware is "dated" now. So anything comparable would do well.

No issues at all with this one.

I still believe that an i5 is preferable over an i7. Also, the Intel on-board graphics are working very well too.

PS: Do a search for cgrafx - that is, Philip G. - this fellow is very, very knowledgeable and comes highly recommended.

Excellent! Thanks again for all this invaluable help.

JR