Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default RME Digiface USB

I'm getting ready to compress my rig down to a laptop.
    Getting a good used one is cheap so a backup is not so much an issue.

Q: Has anyone used the Digiface USB that is now being sold.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/digiface_usb.php

I've had the older one and was delighted with it.

Hap

Blog Entries

Default Re: RME Digiface USB

HapHazzard,

Never used one...but if it is like other RME stuff...it should be great!

I must say that the performance of the ZOOM UAC-2 and the UAC-8 have been just great!

I would imagine thought that RME is much better.

PS: Can you rent one to test it out?

I've had excellent results with the Behringer UMC 1820. 8 Mic pres and ADAT connection for another 8. SP/dif supposedly can be used concurrently for a total of 18 inputs. So if you don't need more than 16 or 18 inputs, I can recommend this interface.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

I'm interested to see the Digiface USB latency and how low you can run it on SAC without dropped buffers. The specification says no latency monitoring. Anybody got any experience running it under SAC? How many inputs and outputs are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale B View Post
    I'm interested to see the Digiface USB latency and how low you can run it on SAC without dropped buffers. The specification says no latency monitoring. Anybody got any experience running it under SAC? How many inputs and outputs are you running?
    No latency monitoring is NOT a round trip process, it lets you mix and hear the inputs directly without going through the digital interface to the computer and back.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

The earlier Digiface had an HDSP card so it ran just like a 9652.

This will be running directly into the USB port but if it has the same engine as the MADIface, then I assume it's going to do the 2X32 easy. I've run at 4X128 (Floor Monitors only) and never told a soul. No one noticed. :-D

16ch min - 24ch max. is all I would need.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    I've had excellent results with the Behringer UMC 1820. 8 Mic pres and ADAT connection for another 8. SP/dif supposedly can be used concurrently for a total of 18 inputs. So if you don't need more than 16 or 18 inputs, I can recommend this interface.
    I've Looked at the UMC 1820. Do you use it with SAC? If so, how low can you push the buffers? Will it do 2X128?

Hap

Quote Originally Posted by HapHazzard View Post
    I've Looked at the UMC 1820. Do you use it with SAC? If so, how low can you push the buffers? Will it do 2X128?

Hap
    I've got it fired up now, connected to this 8 year old HP laptop running Windows 10. I've got e-mail and several browsers open. I set the buffers at 2X64 with all 18 channels assigned. The load is bouncing between 2 and 4 % with one slipped buffer. ALWAYS when I first engage the engine, I get one dropped buffer. I found that to be the case with a Focusrite 1820 USB interface as well. Anyway, after looking at and deleting some e-mails while SAC has been running for about 15 minutes, I now have only 2 slipped buffers.

I just added 5 bands of e.q., compression and three aux sends to all 18 channels. That increased the load, bouncing between 10 and 12%, but added no slipped buffers. Rapidly hitting F keys adds no slipped buffers. It's been running for about 25 minutes now and I'm still checking e-mail with no negative effect... still only 2 slipped buffers.

Added 4 monitor sends of all 18 channels. Increased load to 15%. No additional slipped buffers.

Added 5 bands of e.q. to all four monitors on all 18 channels. Increased load to 38%. No additional slipped buffers.

Added compression to all four monitors on all 18 channels. Increased load to 49%. Still has only two slipped buffers.

I'd say it's worth giving it a try. I bought mine here: http://stores.ebay.com/vipproaudioinc/ It was listed as an "open box display model", but it looked like a brand new product in undisturbed packaging. I paid around $250 for it.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    I've got it fired up now, connected to this 8 year old HP laptop running Windows 10. I've got e-mail and several browsers open. I set the buffers at 2X64 with all 18 channels assigned. The load is bouncing between 2 and 4 % with one slipped buffer. ALWAYS when I first engage the engine, I get one dropped buffer. I found that to be the case with a Focusrite 1820 USB interface as well. Anyway, after looking at and deleting some e-mails while SAC has been running for about 15 minutes, I now have only 2 slipped buffers.

I just added 5 bands of e.q., compression and three aux sends to all 18 channels. That increased the load, bouncing between 10 and 12%, but added no slipped buffers. Rapidly hitting F keys adds no slipped buffers. It's been running for about 25 minutes now and I'm still checking e-mail with no negative effect... still only 2 slipped buffers.

Added 4 monitor sends of all 18 channels. Increased load to 15%. No additional slipped buffers.

Added 5 bands of e.q. to all four monitors on all 18 channels. Increased load to 38%. No additional slipped buffers.

Added compression to all four monitors on all 18 channels. Increased load to 49%. Still has only two slipped buffers.

I'd say it's worth giving it a try. I bought mine here: http://stores.ebay.com/vipproaudioinc/ It was listed as an "open box display model", but it looked like a brand new product in undisturbed packaging. I paid around $250 for it.
    OK! That seems very intriguing. Great for punch-ins and client edits then taking a 32 ch rack. (lot more live demos then PA)
    Thanks

Hap

I'm using the Behringer at work for a simple system, and running it at 1x128. I also experience the 1 slipped buffer immediately on starting the engine, but see no more. I have run it for days, and still only 1 slipped buffer. Granted, I am only running 3 stereo inputs, with EQ on each channel, and ~400 ms of delay on each stereo channel, but it has been rock steady. I believe it is a Haswell i3 running at roughly 3.3 Ghz. Windows 7 with Aero disabled (that is the only tweak I have done).