Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: OT: SP/dif utilization

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maple Ridge, BC Canada
    Posts
    1,846

    Default Re: OT: SP/dif utilization

    Richard,

    Does SAW or SAC allow for the simultaneous use of two USB devices?

    The UCA222 is another USB device...thus my query.

    It would be great to be able to connect something direct to the SPDIF IN 's 9-10 and then to test that input.

  2. #12

    Default Re: OT: SP/dif utilization

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Richard,

    Does SAW or SAC allow for the simultaneous use of two USB devices?

    The UCA222 is another USB device...thus my query.

    It would be great to be able to connect something direct to the SPDIF IN 's 9-10 and then to test that input.
    Once the UMC driver is initiated, the UAC cannot be used as an input device directly in to SAW. If you read my previous post about connecting the devices as I had intended to use them, I think it will clear it up for you.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Portland, Maine U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,124

    Default Re: OT: SP/dif utilization

    The external analog to Spdif converter needs to be the digital clock master, I am guessing.
    Michael McInnis Productions

  4. #14

    Default Re: OT: SP/dif utilization

    Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    The external analog to Spdif converter needs to be the digital clock master, I am guessing.
    Now we're definitely outside my wheelhouse. I was hoping for a simple solution to getting access to the extra inputs, but apparently, that won't be so easy... and therefore not inexpensive.

    Thanks to all who have responded. If I do get this resolved, I'll post here.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

  5. #15

    Default Re: OT: SP/dif utilization

    Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    The external analog to Spdif converter needs to be the digital clock master, I am guessing.
    I found this converter and was excited to think it could work, but if indeed there may be a clocking issue, I'm at a loss:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Analog-L-R-....c100505.m3226
    Any thoughts on that from anybody? As I say, I'm really in over my head now.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

  6. #16

    Default Re: OT: SP/dif utilization

    I have a DAT recorder in the booth, connected via RCA SP/DIF over coax (x2) to an RME interface that also has a 8-channel ADAT i/o box attached via lightpipe. The DAT is clocked by the RME through the SP/DIF. I use the DAT for a headphone feed and metering in the booth. I'm not sure how the ADDA converters in the DAT deck measure up to more recent devices, but for headphones and metering, or in your case, a 2-way talkback system, who cares? Got an old DAT deck sitting around? I guess you'd still need a couple channels of cheap mic pre.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

  7. #17

    Default Re: OT: SP/dif utilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    I have a DAT recorder in the booth, connected via RCA SP/DIF over coax (x2) to an RME interface that also has a 8-channel ADAT i/o box attached via lightpipe. The DAT is clocked by the RME through the SP/DIF. I use the DAT for a headphone feed and metering in the booth. I'm not sure how the ADDA converters in the DAT deck measure up to more recent devices, but for headphones and metering, or in your case, a 2-way talkback system, who cares? Got an old DAT deck sitting around? I guess you'd still need a couple channels of cheap mic pre.
    Ian, that's very encouraging!!! And I do have a DAT machine that I haven't even turned on in years. <G> But the little converter box I found on eBay for 10 buck is SO much smaller. . And now with your information here, I think it could actually work! Thanks for this input.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

  8. #18

    Default Re: OT: SP/dif utilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    Ian, that's very encouraging!!! And I do have a DAT machine that I haven't even turned on in years. <G> But the little converter box I found on eBay for 10 buck is SO much smaller. . And now with your information here, I think it could actually work! Thanks for this input.
    I think S/PDIF is one direction only, so you'll need coax/RCA in AND out to clock the AD conversion. Also, WikiPedia says the max cable length is 10 meters. Not sure how far you need to go.

    If you go the DAT route, note that I have to hit the record button on the DAT to get the incoming signal to the headphone amp and meters.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

  9. #19

    Default Re: OT: SP/dif utilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    I think S/PDIF is one direction only, so you'll need coax/RCA in AND out to clock the AD conversion. Also, WikiPedia says the max cable length is 10 meters. Not sure how far you need to go.

    If you go the DAT route, note that I have to hit the record button on the DAT to get the incoming signal to the headphone amp and meters.
    Hmmm... well, I did realize I'd have to put the DAT machine in record to pass audio, but thanks for the reminder. As far as your other points, I don't need to travel far at all from the converter to the UMC 1820. But the little converter box I decided to order has just one rca digital connection. I hope that's not a problem as you suggest it might. I did e-mail Behringer support about using the converter and got this reply:

    Dear Richard Rupert,

    Thank you for contacting us. The A/D converter in the link that you sent to me should have no issues working with the S/PDIF on the UMC1820. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

    Let's keep in touch,

    Sam Daniel
    Team Leader, Care

    I've had plenty of poor tech support over the years (not specifically from Behringer though), so I'm not saying this is correct. But hopefully, his reply is accurate. I'll know by next week and will post here if it works. Or if it doesn't. <G>
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

  10. #20

    Default Re: OT: SP/dif utilization

    Just did a little experiment. I changed the input to the DAT from digital to analog and connected a mic and mic pre to the left analog in. Then I disconnected the SPDIF into the DAT, leaving only the output connected. As expected, the RME interface showed a Locked, but not Synced condition on the SPDIF LED. I expected noise, but it worked. I got decent audio in the control room headphones from that mic. If I switched the RME clock to SPDIF, everything was Locked AND Synced, but I'm not sure you'll want to clock your system with a 10 dollar AD converter.

    Call me surprised.

    I have one remaining question. How do you switch sample rates on the $10 box?
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •