Close

Blog Entries

Default OT: ZOOM UAC 8 and Electric Guitars

Hello,

I purchased a ZOOM UAC-8 back in September of this year. The unit has never been on the road and has only had occasional use since it was originally purchased.

Yesterday, I booted my rig and discovered that CH4 was not displaying input. After many various checks, it has been determined that CH 4 is "dead".

Talking with the folks at ZOOM was a bit disconcerting in that they really do not seem to be at all too concerned about this.

Thankfully, I purchased an extended warranty that allows me to either replace the unit or exchange it for something else - which is what I am now considering.

Though the ADA-8000's/ADA8200's are no where near the price of some of these other units, they do appear to have a better track record.

So...I am back to "square one" and I would like your input.

What I do require is the following:

Something with ADAT IN and OUT to use with my RME HDSP 9652
    8 channels IN
    2-4 channels OUT
    I require one HI-Z input for an electric guitar, one line input channel for an electric piano, and 6 phantom-powered inputs.
    Headphone outputs would be nice
    Master monitor control would be nice as well

The use of HI-Z negates the use of the ADA-8000's/ADA8200's as I would prefer not to have resort using an adapter of some sort between the electric guitar and the input on the interface.

Therefore I have been looking at "reasonably-priced" interfaces that have at least one HI-Z input. However, I have had two units thus far that have not proved to be all the successful, the Focusrite Saffire PRO40 and the ZOOM UAC-8.

Any assistance that any may provide would be extremely helpful and very much appreciated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 11-13-2017 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Updates

Default Re: OT: ZOOM UAC 8 and Electric Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    ...What I do require is the following:

Something with ADAT IN and OUT to use with my RMD HDSP 9652
    8 channels IN
    2-4 channels OUT.
    I require one HI-Z input for an electric guitar, one line input channel for an electric piano, and 6 phantom-powered inputs.

The use of HI-Z negates the use of the ADA-8000's/ADA8200's as I would prefer not to have resort using an adapter of some sort between the electric guitar and the input on the interface.

Therefore I have been looking at "reasonably-priced" interfaces that have at least one HI-Z input. However, I have had two units thus far that have not proved to be all the successful, the Focusrite Saffire PRO40 and the ZOOM UAC-8.

Any assistance that any may provide would be extremely helpful and very much appreciated.

Thank you.
    The Presonus Digimax FS ticks off all on your checklist - https://www.presonus.com/products/DigiMax-FS/features
    I've been seeing used ones lately for less than 200.00. Although they aren't my favorite for reasons that maybe matter only to me (front panel inputs instead of rear inputs, for instance), they have shown themselves to be decent. And like I said, they have all your checklist points. The toughest part for me has been to get ADAT IN and OUT, both... these have both.

Be sure and really push sellers to give you the straight facts on condition! I've run into numerous used preamp listings recently (since I happened to have been searching for myself), where the sellers just don't seem to be interested in fully testing their gear before making the "excellent condition" claim lately..... it hasn't always been this bad in my experience.

Unless I'm missing something (and I admit that's entirely possible), the Behringer UMC 1820 would fulfill your requirements and eliminate the need for the RME 9652. I have posted here before as to how well it works with SAC.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Blog Entries

Richard,

You stated...
    ...the Behringer UMC 1820 would fulfill your requirements and eliminate the need for the RME 9652...
    ...So you are saying that USB 2.0 works equally as well as ADAT?

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding something here.

PS: Richard, for whatever reason I am unable to locate that information.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 11-13-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Richard,

You stated...
    ...So you are saying that USB 2.0 works equally as well as ADAT?

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding something here.

PS: Richard, for whatever reason I am unable to locate that information.
    It's here: http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/...916#post213916
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Blog Entries

Richard,

Thanks...I did find it after all.

I just find it difficult to "get my hear around" the use of USB 2.0 for "serious" digital audio.

But you say you do have it working...and if this IS so, this would be good news for Behringer...would it not?

I will have to see if I can rent one for a bit to check it out.

Thanks Richard for your assistance...much appreciated.

I just find it difficult to "get my hear around" the use of USB 2.0 for "serious" digital audio.

But you say you do have it working...and if this IS so, this would be good news for Behringer...would it not?
    FWIW, I've been using USB 2.0 to get multitrack audio from my Behringer X32 rack into my XP laptop for several gigs with my band, and it's been rock solid. Zero problems. Only been doing 12 or so tracks, but the X32 stuff is pretty solid, overall, as far as I know, so...
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    FWIW, I've been using USB 2.0 to get multitrack audio from my Behringer X32 rack into my XP laptop for several gigs with my band, and it's been rock solid. Zero problems. Only been doing 12 or so tracks, but the X32 stuff is pretty solid, overall, as far as I know, so...
    I've also been using the x32 system with a win7 laptop at school concerts - recording anywhere from 4 to 28 tracks with almost no issues. But I also use SAC as a front end to SAW when recording more than 4 tracks, just to be on the safe side. I have gotten a rare glitch across multiple tracks that I haven't been able to explain, but it's very rare too.