Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: Behringer ADA's versus Everything else...

Hello,

Regarding the FS as master...anyone else care to "chime-in"? If it is in anyway not preferable, then I will consider other options. I would rather be safe-than-sorry here.

As a point of interest, the SyncCheck section of the Hammerfall DSP Setting dialog for ADAT1 - the Sync text flashes until either audio is played or the SAC engine is enabled - then the Sync text does not flash. Any ideas??

Attachment 2700

The testing of the FS has been performing OK at present...no "pops 'n clicks" of any kind that I can hear. However, does anyone you have anything to add? I really need "peace-of-mind" here. We know the ADA-8200's work and continue to work. The only downside of the ADA-8200 is the lack of HI-Z input...but this may be resolved in "other" ways. Should I consider RME, Antelope or even UA as an option? Should I even consider the option for a Thunderbolt PCIe add-on card?* See here:
    https://tinyurl.com/ybycvqxm

Thank you to all that have and may respond.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 11-25-2017 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Updates

The RME doesn't have to be the master, but does mean that you will have to manual set the clock rate in SAC/SAW to match the clock rate of the external clock. It will not track automatically.

Its preferable from a workflow standpoint to have the RME be the master allowing the clock rate to adjust automatically if you change the clock rate in SAW/SAC and have your interface track those changes.

You do not have to use the BNC word clock out on the RME to do this. Clock is also passed on the ADAT output interface connectors.

I use the ADAT word clock on both my SAC live rig and my SAW studio rig. Works without any issues.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

cgrafx,

Thank you for the reply.

Its preferable from a workflow standpoint to have the RME be the master allowing the clock rate to adjust automatically if you change the clock rate in SAW/SAC and have your interface track those changes.
    ...What if I will never change the clock rate?

You do not have to use the BNC word clock out on the RME to do this. Clock is also passed on the ADAT output interface connectors. I use the ADAT word clock on both my SAC live rig and my SAW studio rig. Works without any issues.
    ... I have been unable to get the FS to be the slave...even with assistance from others. Unless I am missing something...which is likely. What interfaced are you using here?

Update: Just discovered this tidbit in the Digimax FS Manual: "EXT Clock. The external clock switch allows the DigiMax FS to choose an external source for clocking. To switch between ADAT and BNC sync, simply engage the switch again. The switch will light RED for ADAT sync and BLUE for BNC sync. When in either mode, the DigiMax FS will automatically recognize which sampling rate is required for optimum synchronization." This looks as if this should take care of any issues?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 11-25-2017 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Updated

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    cgrafx,

Thank you for the reply.

...What if I will never change the clock rate?

... I have been unable to get the FS to be the slave...even with assistance from others. Unless I am missing something...which is likely. What interfaced are you using here?

Update: Just discovered this tidbit in the Digimax FS Manual: "EXT Clock. The external clock switch allows the DigiMax FS to choose an external source for clocking. To switch between ADAT and BNC sync, simply engage the switch again. The switch will light RED for ADAT sync and BLUE for BNC sync. When in either mode, the DigiMax FS will automatically recognize which sampling rate is required for optimum synchronization." This looks as if this should take care of any issues?
    That FS mode light was a bit confusing for me as well, now that I think about it. That may just well be the ticket to getting the FS to work as slave. It's always worked well for me, but I'd never given that one much thought until recently.

You might keep your sessions at the same sample rate all the time, but what if someone sends you a file at a different rate and you want to audition it in SoundFile View? It's much easier to do so if SS can control the sample rate of the RME. I have a Digimax FS slaved to an RME Fireface UCX USB interface via a second ADAT cable from the RME out to the Digimax in. Works flawlessly.

I don't recall reading that you were using two ADAT cables. Did you get it going?
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    You might keep your sessions at the same sample rate all the time, but what if someone sends you a file at a different rate and you want to audition it in SoundFile View? It's much easier to do so if SS can control the sample rate of the RME. I have a Digimax FS slaved to an RME Fireface UCX USB interface via a second ADAT cable from the RME out to the Digimax in. Works flawlessly.

I don't recall reading that you were using two ADAT cables. Did you get it going?
    OH! There ya go!
    I'd bet that if he hasn't yet, it's because he needs a second ADAT from the RME back into the FS.
    In an earlier reply I had suggested only needing one ADAT from the FS into the RME - that was assuming that he'd clock from BNC.

Blog Entries

Ian,

"I don't recall reading that you were using two ADAT cables. Did you get it going?"...Yes, I am using two ADAT cables...so In AND Out.

In this scenario, I am using the FS in a similar, if not identical manner, as the ADA-8000/ADA-8200.

So far everything is working just great! That external clock switch really "did the trick".

In fact, I am looking at obtaining a second FS.