Close

Thread: Lock Channel

Default Lock Channel

Is there a way to lock a channel or set of channels? Multiple users at a church continue to modify master and submix levels, EQ, etc. Either a lock or a way to shock them when they fiddle with those channels would be helpful ;-)
    Mike Bizanovich
    Wheeling, WV

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lock Channel

Mike,

I believe not...but you could restrict things a bit by using SAC Remote.
    Note: You could even configure this in such a manner that the user would not even be aware that they were using the remote - other than the restrictions.

The other option is to use Scenes to restore a particular configuration. You could create the Scenes, copy them to a safe location and restore them if needed if the original ones had been tampered with.

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Mike,

I believe not...but you could restrict things a bit by using SAC Remote.
    Note: You could even configure this in such a manner that the user would not even be aware that they were using the remote - other than the restrictions.

The other option is to use Scenes to restore a particular configuration. You could create the Scenes, copy them to a safe location and restore them if needed if the original ones had been tampered with.

Hope this helps?
    Or, you could save the whole starting configuration as a mix file. This would also be helpful to use in showing the differences between your starting point and whatever the other people wack it out to. If their mix or channel config sounds like crap, you can show them where they came from on their way to ruining the mix.

Blog Entries

dbarrow,
    Or, you could save the whole starting configuration as a mix file...
    ...Good idea!!

Wow, that is a great idea, ideal for the wish list! Channel Lock option...
    that would be just great lol
    We could lock the channels, part of the software like menus or even the whole
    console if we feel that the PA is in bad hands after what the SAC would require
    a password for unlocking

Just great

Dig.consoles don't have that!

Thanks for the replies. I already use scenes, mix templates, etc.

To clarify... What I would like to be able to do is lock down the mix templates & scenes themselves so that folks, even when starting with a new template, cannot move masters and auxes at their whim.

I know... training, training, training. If they worked for me, I could fire them. But, they're volunteers.
    Mike Bizanovich
    Wheeling, WV

Blog Entries

Mike,

How's about, "giv'n 'em their 2 cents worth" and then "fir'n 'em as professionals"? Heh...heh...

The rest is up to Bob.

PS: Can SAC Remote be used to minimize such mishaps?

You can assign each computer running SACREMOTE different rights and different set-ups. That may be the way to go. And the drives on the remote computer have to be set up a certain way in order to save from SACREMOTE so you can keep them form saving to the original set-up

I ran sound at a church using SAC for a couple of years. I discovered the best thing for me to do is not save your last settings after the service. We would come in the following Wednesday and have to reset everything again. I had a base line set up that I always went back to and then tweaked as the songs changed, musician changed, temperature and humidity changed, blah blah blah. During a good service (Holy Spirit present) your musicians are going to hit the keys harder, play harder, drum harder, sing louder, and the congregation will play a large part in how they worship. The room acoustics will change depending on how many people are in the congregation and again the temperature and humidity. Sometimes the mix I would end up with would be way off from my starting point.

This was also a very reflective sanctuary with a lot of stained glass, very high ceiling, and a 60 year old Heater A/C system. It sounded different every time we went in there. But we ROCKED it!!!!!!!!!!!

There may be a little more going on than bad mixing.

Blog Entries

Mike,

Are these changes requiring alternations "at that time" - or "live", to correct, or can these changes be rectified "after the show" - so to speak?