Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT: Can you plug a standard 1/8-inch TRS plug into a...

...threaded 1/8-inch (Sennheiser locking, wireless lav type) TRS jack? And if you can, is it a good connection?

Or do you have to use threaded with threaded? (or standard with standard?)
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 12-09-2017 at 07:55 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: Can you plug a standard 1/8-inch TRS plug into a...

Dave,

So, a non-threaded plug into a threaded socket?

PS: I am not finding any examples of what you are using - though I am probably not looking at the correct items. So, any images or links?

To me, it would be a matter of just how well the two items fit together.

Also, if this is something that someone is wearing, then the connection it should be as tight or as secure as is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

So, a non-threaded plug into a threaded socket?

PS: I am not finding any examples of what you are using - though I am probably not looking at the correct items. So, any images or links?

To me, it would be a matter of just how well the two items fit together.

Also, if this is something that someone is wearing, then the connection it should be as tight or as secure as is possible.
    The connection will be into a threaded female jack at an adapter on the recorder, so not worn.

I'm hoping to fit the male TRS seen here...
    Name:  31rBOssYNVL._SX342_.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  9.9 KB
    ...into a threaded female TRS, as seen here...
    Name:  rode-vxlr-mini-jack-naar-xlr.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  28.7 KB
    Normally, the female would mate with this male:

Name:  TRS threaded male.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  14.9 KB

I believe this is a Sennheiser wireless standard. Looks like it'd work, but I'm hoping to hear from people with experience before I just test it by myself and decide it's fine.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

I "gather" that the purpose of the threaded plug is for security - that it cannot be removed.

Other than that, I would assume that the actual insertion of the plug into the jack would be identical.

I would say it is likely to work alright.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I would say it is likely to work alright.
    I guess it would come down to the effective length of the plug. I want to be sure of the conductors will line up correctly. And will stay put like an unthreaded male and female would. I have everything here to test it out, but I'm not sure how high my confidence will be with only a few minutes of experience, whereas I'm hoping there are people around here that have many years of experience and may have more wisdom than I can get in the next couple days.

I'm putting together a field recording kit for a client, and I don't want to leave anything to chance.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Hello,

Would it no be preferable to hire someone to solder the correct plug on the cable t make the socket.

That - to me anyhow, would be the most prudent method to consider.

This being said, an 1/8" TRWS plug is a standard, and therefore, the socket - whether threaded or not, would also have to be a standard.

Hope this makes sense?

Finally, from the Rode VXLR+ manual:

"Features: The VXLR+ is a 3.5mm female TRS socket to male XLR adaptor, which will convert 12-48V Phantom Power down to 3-5V ***8216;Plug in Power***8217;. This allows RØDE on-camera microphones such as the VideoMicro and VideoMic GO, as well as self-worn microphones like the HS2 Headset Mic to receive power from a standard XLR input that supplies phantom power. The VXLR+***8217;s 3.5mm input socket is also compatible with the threaded locking connector used on the RØDE HS2 Headset Microphone, and the RØDELink Filmmaker Kit Lavalier, ensuring connection to your XLR input is secure and won***8217;t disconnect during your recording."

Notice, it states, "...is also compatible with..." - this should clear up an ambiguities., should it not?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 12-10-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Dave,

Unless a 3.5mm or 1/8" plug has changed it's specifications, then a 3.5mm or 1/8" plug are the same in specifications.

All of the other additions are merely that - additions.

Just to confirm this point, I called Rode Canada and asked them if the actual plugs are the same, and the answer was "Yes" and that the purpose of the threaded adapter is for security purposes.

Does this help?

Dave,

Unless a 3.5mm or 1/8" plug has changed it's specifications, then a 3.5mm or 1/8" plug are the same in specifications.

All of the other additions are merely that - additions.

Just to confirm this point, I called Rode Canada and asked them if the actual plugs are the same, and the answer was "Yes" and that the purpose of the threaded adapter is for security purposes.

Does this help?
    Maybe. Yeah, I know they're based on the same standard. I just don't know if they're cross-compatible. Does the threaded part changed the "plunge" factor between sub-species? That's they key part I'm not clear on.

But thanks for making that call. Very thoughtful of you.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Hello,

Would it no be preferable to hire someone to solder the correct plug on the cable t make the socket.

That - to me anyhow, would be the most prudent method to consider.

This being said, an 1/8" TRWS plug is a standard, and therefore, the socket - whether threaded or not, would also have to be a standard.

Hope this makes sense?

Finally, from the Rode VXLR+ manual:

"Features: The VXLR+ is a 3.5mm female TRS socket to male XLR adaptor, which will convert 12-48V Phantom Power down to 3-5V ***8216;Plug in Power***8217;. This allows RØDE on-camera microphones such as the VideoMicro and VideoMic GO, as well as self-worn microphones like the HS2 Headset Mic to receive power from a standard XLR input that supplies phantom power. The VXLR+***8217;s 3.5mm input socket is also compatible with the threaded locking connector used on the RØDE HS2 Headset Microphone, and the RØDELink Filmmaker Kit Lavalier, ensuring connection to your XLR input is secure and won***8217;t disconnect during your recording."

Notice, it states, "...is also compatible with..." - this should clear up an ambiguities., should it not?
    I don't think so. It says "...is also compatible with the threaded locking connector..." I want to know if it's compatible with a non-threaded connector, remember?

Or are you suggesting that the use of the word "also" implies that the opening line, above, is regarding a non-threaded connector? ("...is a 3.5mm female TRS socket to male XLR adaptor (sic)...")

That's interesting. Maybe. I sure wish it was a little more explicit, though. Maybe I'll call them and ask them exactly what I want to know. What a brilliant idea.

UPDATE: I called RODE U.S. -- voice mail box full. I called RODE Canada. The guys said the VXLR+ works fine with both types. He said the threads were added to accommodate that standard, but that they don't get in the way of non-threaded plug operation.

So... you were right, Dell. Thanks, again.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 12-12-2017 at 08:17 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts