Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: OT: Can you plug a standard 1/8-inch TRS plug into a...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

Would it no be preferable to hire someone to solder the correct plug on the cable t make the socket.

That - to me anyhow, would be the most prudent method to consider.

This being said, an 1/8" TRWS plug is a standard, and therefore, the socket - whether threaded or not, would also have to be a standard.

Hope this makes sense?

Finally, from the Rode VXLR+ manual:

"Features: The VXLR+ is a 3.5mm female TRS socket to male XLR adaptor, which will convert 12-48V Phantom Power down to 3-5V ***8216;Plug in Power***8217;. This allows RØDE on-camera microphones such as the VideoMicro and VideoMic GO, as well as self-worn microphones like the HS2 Headset Mic to receive power from a standard XLR input that supplies phantom power. The VXLR+***8217;s 3.5mm input socket is also compatible with the threaded locking connector used on the RØDE HS2 Headset Microphone, and the RØDELink Filmmaker Kit Lavalier, ensuring connection to your XLR input is secure and won***8217;t disconnect during your recording."

Notice, it states, "...is also compatible with..." - this should clear up an ambiguities., should it not?
    I don't think so. It says "...is also compatible with the threaded locking connector..." I want to know if it's compatible with a non-threaded connector, remember?

Or are you suggesting that the use of the word "also" implies that the opening line, above, is regarding a non-threaded connector? ("...is a 3.5mm female TRS socket to male XLR adaptor (sic)...")

That's interesting. Maybe. I sure wish it was a little more explicit, though. Maybe I'll call them and ask them exactly what I want to know. What a brilliant idea.

UPDATE: I called RODE U.S. -- voice mail box full. I called RODE Canada. The guys said the VXLR+ works fine with both types. He said the threads were added to accommodate that standard, but that they don't get in the way of non-threaded plug operation.

So... you were right, Dell. Thanks, again.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 12-12-2017 at 07:17 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Yeah, I saw that. Some reactions:

1) does not make me optimistic about the cross-compatibility question
    2) this would add, what, another inch-and-a-half to my current three-plus inch plug/adapter chain?
    3) diggin' the beige
    4) pricey (I would need at least two for this kit, three with a back-up)
    5) no better way to encourage intermittent connections than by putting several adapters in series
    Becket, Massachusetts

Dave,

Then YOU should call them...as they stated to me, "the plunge" - as you stated it, is exactly the same.

I see four choices:

1) obtain a device with the proper plug
    2) obtain the adapter as Stashu mentioned - even though this does not really make any sense.
    3) replace the jack on the end of the existing cable for the threaded one - this is what I would do - bout only for the sake of security unless you find some other way of doing this.
    4) leave it a it is

Dave, for your interest, I noticed that the DigiMax FS uses a threaded plug for the power connection TO these devices. However, the replacement ones Presonus suggests do not have this threaded plug. However, they use the same plug - just without the threaded portion. The same logic applies to your situation..

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

Then YOU should call them...as they stated to me, "the plunge" - as you stated it, is exactly the same.

I see four choices:

1) obtain a device with the proper plug
    2) obtain the adapter as Stashu mentioned - even though this does not really make any sense.
    3) replace the jack on the end of the existing cable for the threaded one - this is what I would do - bout only for the sake of security unless you find some other way of doing this.
    4) leave it a it is

Dave, for your interest, I noticed that the DigiMax FS uses a threaded plug for the power connection TO these devices. However, the replacement ones Presonus suggests do not have this threaded plug. However, they use the same plug - just without the threaded portion. The same logic applies to your situation..
    Right. Then there's this: http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/...154#post214154

Becket, Massachusetts