Close

1. Question Windows 10, tablet for remote

I have 3 questions and they're underlined

Is every Windows 10 tablet capable of running the sac remote? I'm looking for a simple tablet for the band members to set their monitor levels. Tablets running Windows 8 RT are not capable to use as a remote right?

My sac host pc is running Windows XP sp3 and it's very stable (1x32 with no slipped buffers, ever) It's a small Lenovo 7103, e8400 with 2 gb ram, RME hdsp 9652 and all recommended system tweaks are applied. I've read somewhere that Bob is working on a 64 bit version of sac. Would my system perform equally or better on Windows 10? I'm also looking for a multi touch screen and need at least Win 8 for it to work. Upgrading to 4 gb of ram is no problem as ddr2 memory can be bought dirt cheap from Aliexpress.

2. Default Re: Windows 10, tablet for remote

Is every Windows 10 tablet capable of running the sac remote?
    Yes, to my knowledge, all windows 10 machines can run SAC remote.

Tablets running Windows 8 RT are not capable to use as a remote right?
    I don't know! The ARM processor is not good with SAC, but I would think it could run the remote.

Would my system perform equally or better on Windows 10?

It would probably run worse! Generally Windows 10 is much harder to tweak than XP, and even with extensive tweaking, I (and others) struggle to get stable performance with CPU usage over 50-60%

I would stay with windows XP for as long as my hardware allows me to!
    Peter Olsen

Hardware: Asus Prime Z690-P D4, Intel Core i5-12600K, 8 GB ram, 500GB NVMe SSD, 2 RayDAT, 2 DSB2408 preamp/converters.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Windows 10, tablet for remote

Hello,

Windows 7 is working just great thus far.

Would this not work...? SAMSUNG SERIES 7 SLATE MEDIA Tablet 11.6

Default Re: Windows 10, tablet for remote

1. SAC remote should run on pretty much any windows 10 computer (Tablet, laptop, desktop) and requires very little processing power.

2. SAC remote functionally is just the GUI shell and does not process any audio.

3. SAC remote will NOT function on an ARM based platform like windows RT. It must be an Intel x86 native instruction set. That means Intel or AMD x86 CPUS at the present time.

4. Windows 8 and 10 have native multi-touch support. Windows 7 may have multi-touch drivers, but would not be guaranteed to do so. At the present time there is No reason not to use a win8 or win10 tablet as a remote.

5. With the current 32-bit vision of SAC, winXP has proved to be the best OS platform for SAC. This does not mean Win7 or Win8 or win10 cannot be used successfully, they just present additional challenges.

6. With the updated 64-bit version of SAW/SAC we do not know what to expect, nobody does. Once the software is available for testing there will be plenty of people here, including myself that will do that evaluation. Likely win7 will still be a better platform than win10 as it does not have the problems of embedded phone-home code or auto updates that can't be turned off that win10 does, but its too early to make any useful predictions. However win10 is still a perfectly good platform for SAC Remote even with the SAC host system on win7.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

5. Default Re: Windows 10, tablet for remote

Thanks guys for your answers! I'll stick with Windows XP as it can't get much better than my XP system is performing right now. If I want to use a touchscreen, I'll do that on a Windows 10 remote system.