Close

Default Anyone Using A Touch Screen Monitor Now With SAC?

Redoing some things with my SAC / SAW Studio machine. I was thinking I would like to try a touch screen monitor with SAC since my remote tablet works well with the touch screen view.

I've been looking at the ViewSonic 10 Point TD2740 27" monitor at newegg and was wondering if anyone is using a large touch screen now with SAC. I recall a number of years ago there was interest in a 3M touch monitor but it was rather expensive. There is also the Slate Raven MTi2 which is expensive.

The mouse has worked well so my main concern is, would switching to a touch screen be practical?

Checking a number of the YouTube videos on touch screen monitors, a number of people don't think so. For a larger monitor I tried a 32" Vizio TV ($189.00 At Sam's) for use as a SAC monitor. Of course it's not touch screen but I liked it.

The ViewSonic TD2740 27" touch interface is USB. Also, it would be less money that something like the new PerSonus FaderPort 16.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-654-_-Product

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/sea...port&Go=Search

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MTi2

Default Re: Anyone Using A Touch Screen Monitor Now With SAC?

I recently bought a refurbished 3M 23" (22" are useable) monitor for SAC/SAW recording. I paid about $75 for it shipped to my door. The screen will probably be big enough for me, but I won't know until I implement it in the studio. So far it seems as though it will. I'm only getting my head around using the combination in my house at the moment.

At first blush, I'd say I might be inclined to use touch only for mutes, solos, scene changes, and F key changes initially. The "swipe" feature works well too. I've not gotten very good at scrolling up and down... the screen "loses" my touch (or more than likely I don't do it quite right consistently). And with an F key choice with large faders, I could see me doing an occasional multi-fader move. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll do that very often since I'll be using SAC as a recording front-end to SAW, and SAW is not touch-enabled so I won't be mixing with SAC as an external board replacement.

Again, I'm definitely in the nascent stages of this transition, so much of this may change.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

3. Default Re: Anyone Using A Touch Screen Monitor Now With SAC?

I have just ordered a touch screen in the hope that I can do the actual mixing without using a mouse. I don't mind using a mouse for setup/system stuff, but I would love to do the actual mixing directly on the screen.
    I'll post my findings/experiences/conclusions when I get the monitor and get my fingers on it.
    Peter Olsen

Hardware: Asus Prime Z690-P D4, Intel Core i5-12600K, 8 GB ram, 500GB NVMe SSD, 2 RayDAT, 2 DSB2408 preamp/converters.

Default Re: Anyone Using A Touch Screen Monitor Now With SAC?

I use on of these. I think they are discontinued now. Worked pretty well but I still ended up using the mouse and the keyboard arrow keys more than the touch screen. The stand is great on this monitor. It will allow it to lay down like a regular mixer.

Name:  2018-01-08 12_21_26-Dell 23 Monitor _ P2314T Full HD Touchscreen Monitor _ Dell.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  32.0 KB

5. Default Re: Anyone Using A Touch Screen Monitor Now With SAC?

I have had a touch monitor for a week now, and I have done some "dry land" mixing on it. My current control surface has a conventional screen, 16 physical faders, mouse and keyboard. I would really like to shrink the control surface and I was hoping a touch screen (or maybe two), could help me with that.

Generally I think it's possible to mix directly on the screen and not use a mouse, but it might not be convenient.
    It's not surprising that operating the Touch-mixer works very well from a touch screen, but on my 1920x1080 screen resolution I can only fit 9 channels on the screen, and that's less than I want to have. If I instead use the Zoom-mixer for fader moves I run into problems with grabbing the fader knobs. Sometimes I just can't seem to touch the fader knob precisely enough to grab it, even when my fat finger is covering the entire knob! So I end up looking at the screen a lot to check if the fader is moving with my finger or not. And if I want to move two adjacent faders I have to be very careful when putting the fingers down on the screen, if the fingers touch the screen at the same time SAC interprets it as a right-click and scrolls the Zoom-mixer instead of moving the faders.
    For quick/coarse moves it's possible to use both the Full- and the Wide-mixers, but I find i difficult to do precise adjustments on them.
    There are also a few other minor problems: I find it next to impossible to set the threshold on the Levelizer plugin. It's not possible to adjust any parameters on any of my Waves plugins (Version 9) at all!

If I where only doing minor changes to a mix session during a gig I could probably get by with touch and no mouse or physical faders but often my gigs require a lot more adjustments than that, so my conclusion is that a touch screen cannot replace the mouse and/or physical faders for me.
    Peter Olsen

Hardware: Asus Prime Z690-P D4, Intel Core i5-12600K, 8 GB ram, 500GB NVMe SSD, 2 RayDAT, 2 DSB2408 preamp/converters.