Thank you, Danny O for that very clear explanation as to why we like to have the option of recording e.q. (and sometimes compression) to our capture medium, no matter what it is, tape or digital.

I would add to your examples another "problem" instrument: drums. Very often players insist on using their own kit, and their heads are less than ideal (putting it mildly). Over the 35 years I've been recording (starting with 2" analog), I can't tell you how many times drummers have come back into the control room after laying down their track and complimented themselves on how great their drums sound. They think the drums sound good at the source, and have no idea that I had to e.q. heavily to make them sound the way they do on playback. Now, if I don't print the e.q., they will come back in and hear what the drums REALLY sound like and then question my recording skills.

I know, I know... many will say "you should fix it at the source". That's fine in the world of high-finance recording sessions, but after many years in the trenches, I've found that e.q. is still expedient (and necessary) in problem cases.

And as you've noted, experience tells us how much or how little to affect the print. 'Nuff said. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.