Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Default Re: SAC as the studio's front end - Pros and Cons!

cgrafx,
    Even though its two connected programs I personally find it simpler using SAC/SAW in combo. Others may have a different experience, but I like have the fully live mixing console.
    ...I heartily agree! I really like the fact that can continue to use SAC as I normally would - all the time knowing that SAW is doing it's wonderful job in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    A couple of options that will help with this.

1. Bring sub group mixes back into SAC instead of a single full mix (vocals, drums, keys, etc).

2. Use a split console configuration (you have 120 channels to work with). This is something that was done on large consoles even in the analog days. I'm guessing your not tracking more than 60 channels at a time, or even 60 tracks at a time, so use another section of the SAC console as dedicated returns from SAW and bring back all the channels individually (or some hybrid of individual channels and sub groups).

This would allow you to do completely separate mixes for anybody that wants it, and is more flexible than using AUX sends as monitor mixes.
    Now that you mention it, I believe Angie is using a version of this. Thanks for reminding me, Phillip. I'm going to do some experimenting today with the techniques you've suggested in these posts. As you've assumed, I have as yet to track more than 16 channels at a time, but do end up with 60+ tracks on occasion. Rare perhaps, but it does happen. I appreciate your input... very helpful, thanks again.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtZHP View Post
    My main point of curiosity is what the difference is between using SAC or using the SAW mixer in "Live" mode for providing headphone mixes for talent with effects and/or processing in their phones.
    In your collective experience, is the SAW mixer just as effective?
    Curt,
    Unfortunately, I can't tell you yet from personal experience, but my understanding is that SAC can run at much lower latencies while SAW is working in the background doing the "heavy lifting" of recording and keeping everything in sync.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

I use the split console method most of the time. I also have a Furman headphone system in the studio. Having the ability to send separate mixes, click or reverb returns to the Furman boxes for the musicians to choose from is so easy with SAC. I found that using SAC vs using SAW in Live mode gave me trouble free, lower latency performance.

Using a MOTU PCI-424 card system, I run at 1X64 most of the time. I have had to lower it to 1X32 for some finger pickers. But that has been rare.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    <SNIP>

You can also print the incoming SAC settings as you record by changing your SAW tap point (Source, Pre Patch, or Post Fader).
    - Source is at the top of the input chain (effectively just the raw input)
    - Pre Patch I believe is just before the effects patch points (gives you compression, gates and EQ)
    - Post Fader gets you the entire channel strip including any effects and allows you to ride a fader during the record process.
    I'm making progress in getting my head around the points you've made, Phillip. However, I've been unable to make this suggestion work; no matter where I put the tap point in SAW, no EQ or compression is printed, only the raw audio file.

Is everyone else who has SAC as the front-end getting this to work? I'm stymied.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

The setting is on the SAC Mixer menu... near the bottom... the SACLink REC/Play Tap Point... set it to Pre Fader and all the chan processing will record on SAWStudio tracks... you can also record flat by keeping this setting at one of the SRC options, then import the SAC settings into the SAW mixer using the option in the SAW SACLink options menu. This then duplicates the playback settings from SAC into SAWStudio, but leaves the recording flat so you can freely make changes during mixdown without doubling up on processing data.... this would be the preferred method for many.

For instance... if you use compression on inputs during recording and actually record the processing, then later during mixdown you have no way of removing or lessening the compression if you decide it was too much...

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    The setting is on the SAC Mixer menu... near the bottom... the SACLink REC/Play Tap Point... set it to Pre Fader and all the chan processing will record on SAWStudio tracks... you can also record flat by keeping this setting at one of the SRC options, then import the SAC settings into the SAW mixer using the option in the SAW SACLink options menu. This then duplicates the playback settings from SAC into SAWStudio, but leaves the recording flat so you can freely make changes during mixdown without doubling up on processing data.... this would be the preferred method for many.

For instance... if you use compression on inputs during recording and actually record the processing, then later during mixdown you have no way of removing or lessening the compression if you decide it was too much...

Bob L
    Ahhh... I see. I was in SAW trying to get this to happen. And I do like having the option... I won't use it all the time, but it will come in handy in some circumstances.
    Thanks
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Quote Originally Posted by Danny O View Post
    "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine
    I Second That Emotion.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com