Close

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: How To Save My Buffer Settings

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    I am in the middle of my first session using the "Library" option some have suggested. Toying around with it and selecting one folder at a time worked well enough, but today, I added one folder, searched for another folder that contained additional files I need, added that folder, and ...it totally wiped all the tracks I had imported from the first folder.

I don't have time to screw around with this now, but this is not acceptable as a solution. If anyone can tell me I did something wrong and explain what it was, I would like to deal with it later.

Thanks.
    The library view doesn't wipe tracks from the folders - it is simply a "View" of the contents of a folder.
    If the view changed so that the files you had been looking at are no longer visible in the Library View, then the view has simply been changed (by you) to a different folder. You can't "add" another folder's content to the current "view" in the Library. You only swap out one folder of files for another.

You seem to have the notion that the Library view actually inserts files into a SAW location simply because you have opened a folder with files in it. Those files you view in the Library are not even linked to the SAW session unless you purposely import them into the MT or they are made part of the Regions List. And only the files you select to import from a given folder are actually linked. The others are simply being "viewed" in the Library View.

Forgive me if I misunderstand what you are saying, but this is my perspective based on the various things you have said up to now. I hope I've helped. I don't intend to confuse the issue.

Dave:

The Library View was presented to me as a solution for gathering all the files I need for an editing/mixdown session in one place without having to import them individually into the Regions View. These files do not always come from one folder on my computer.

For example, one project that I work on every month requires at least eight voice-over files, eight music files, and four generic announcements. These are located in three separate folders. Some people might think I am being a whiner, but in 2018, it seems dopey that I have to import each of these files into my project individually, which is why I was excited to find the Library View option. Unfortunately, I popped the champagne cork too soon, because it turns out the Library View WILL, in fact, import a whole folder's worth of files at one time, but WILL NOT allow me to import and view multiple folders at the same time. This is close, but no cigar.

I got through today's session importing one file at a time directly into the Regions View then inserting them on the MultiTrack as necessary, as I have always done. But having come so close (with Library View) to being able to do exactly what I need, I am even more frustrated than ever. Once again, I feel like people are feeding me solutions that require way more noodling and way more compromise than should be necessary with technology as skillfully put together as SAW.

Blog Entries

Tom,

Your first stated:
    These files do not always come from one folder on my computer.
    Your then stated:
    For example, one project that I work on every month requires at least eight voice-over files, eight music files, and four generic announcements. These are located in three separate folders.
    For all of my sessions, I create a Master folder that contains sub-folders for everything that I will require for a particular session. For example:

Attachment 2738

The Type_# folders are the result of the five different types of session files that are used in a show. Regardless, inside the Type_# folder is a folder to store all of the audio files I required for that particular session. This procedure is great for backing-up, as well as for transferring an entire session intact to another system. I simply make a copy of that folder, rename it and proceed from there. You could certainly add other sub-folders there as well, such as folders for automation files, mix template files, and so on.

The "long-and-short" of all of this is, why not store all of the required data in one location? With drive capacities being what they are these days, drive space should be of no concern.

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    The "long-and-short" of all of this is, why not store all of the required data in one location?
    Please don't take offense, but the "short" answer from me is because I don't want to!!!

My projects involve three types of files: Music, Voice-Overs, and Generic Voice Announcements. The Music folder contains hundreds of files and is several gigs large. The Generic Voice Announcements stay the same from production to production, so there's no reason to keep re-copying them every time I do a session. And the Voice-Overs, which change every month (there are eight different ones for each production) need to be filed away neatly for future re-use, if necessary. To copy and paste all these folders into one mega-super-jagunda folder and then delete/re-file all the duplicates after the session just to be able to pull off this already inconvenient workaround would be silly for me.

I appreciate the thoughtful input so many of you have provided, but I am beginning to see why people get really negative about this stuff. There are simple answers to a lot of the issues that arise with the tools we use every day, but we seem to be programmed to always look for much more complicated workarounds instead. Makes me wanna SCRRRRREEEEEEAAAMMMMM!!!!!!!

I THINK you may not have completed the import. You have to click on a file in the Library window, identify a section of the file, Name it as a region, and then put it on the MultiTrack. I hope this helps.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    I THINK you may not have completed the import. You have to click on a file in the Library window, identify a section of the file, Name it as a region, and then put it on the MultiTrack. I hope this helps.
    The issue is not importing from the Library window into the Regions window or the MT. The issue is importing MULTIPLE FOLDERS from my Windows Explorer folders into SAW...ANYWHERE IN SAW where I can then move individual files to the MT.

Using Library View works if you only need to import one folder. But as far as I can see, if you then want to import a SECOND folder to pull files from, you have to jump through all kinds of hoops.

The issue is not importing from the Library window into the Regions window or the MT. The issue is importing MULTIPLE FOLDERS from my Windows Explorer folders into SAW...ANYWHERE IN SAW where I can then move individual files to the MT.

Using Library View works if you only need to import one folder. But as far as I can see, if you then want to import a SECOND folder to pull files from, you have to jump through all kinds of hoops.
    In SAW world, your solution would be to upgrade to SAW Lite or Full. There are 6 library view windows available in both of these programs. Probably also not the answer you are looking for, but it exists as a solution, if SAW is the program you want to use.

Thanks, UpTil.

You're correct. It's definitely not the answer for me, as my projects are very small, usually involving no more than five tracks and minimal processing.

I do want to continue using SAW Basic, as I have always been a SAW user and it's the interface I am most comfortable with, especially now that I am getting used to many of the changes from my 1990's version.

You've been really helpful. I guess this multiple file issue is just something I will have to live with, as I did for twenty-some-odd years with SAWse.

Thanks, UpTil.

You're correct. It's definitely not the answer for me, as my projects are very small, usually involving no more than five tracks and minimal processing.

I do want to continue using SAW Basic, as I have always been a SAW user and it's the interface I am most comfortable with, especially now that I am getting used to many of the changes from my 1990's version.

You've been really helpful. I guess this multiple file issue is just something I will have to live with, as I did for twenty-some-odd years with SAWse.
    Tom -- I know it's frustrating, but consider that having all the capability of the full version of SAWStudio (including six library views) does not in any way disadvantage you (other than cost, conceivably). I imagine none of us use all the features that the full version offers. We each use a subset of it's many capabilities. I, too, do primarily voice-over-oriented projects. And I find the multiple libraries feature pretty handy, for example, in a template I have that loads in different folders that have various stock constituents of a client's podcast that I regularly do post-production on.

I have to wonder if there are "previously owned" SAWStudio full licenses out there at reduced prices.

The question to ask yourself is, simply, a cost/benefit question. Will that added capability (and perhaps a few others -- you may be surprised at some of the useful features), be worth the added expense?

FWIW: SAWStudio version comparison chart
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

SawStudio Lite is also a good option if you don't need all the Full version possibities.