Close

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: How To Save My Buffer Settings

Whoa...this might be a breakthrough, Phil.

You're saying it's NORMAL for the folders I import into Library View to disappear after I move them to the Regions View? THAT's a game-changer.

So Library View is not meant to serve as the window from which you import files directly into the Multi-Track, but a temporary window from which you select files to convert to Regions?

I have to take some time to process this. I still don't think it solves any problem for me, but it would be helpful to better understand the function of the Library View.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Whoa...this might be a breakthrough, Phil.

You're saying it's NORMAL for the folders I import into Library View to disappear after I move them to the Regions View? THAT's a game-changer.

So Library View is not meant to serve as the window from which you import files directly into the Multi-Track, but a temporary window from which you select files to convert to Regions?

I have to take some time to process this. I still don't think it solves any problem for me, but it would be helpful to better understand the function of the Library View.

Thanks!
    They don't disappear on import, they disappear when you open a new folder of files. The library view is nothing more than a file navigation tool that lets you see an entire folder of files from which you can select one-or-more files to import into your multi-track or regions list.

Since you can have more than one library view open at a time, it will allow you to see multiple sets of folders at the same time.

Limited of coarse by the number of library windows supported by your version of the SAW.

Library View Windows
    Basic: 1
    Lite: 2
    Full: 6
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

There are two ways to create regions from a Library View window. One way simply links the new region(s) to the file(s) you pick in the library view (even after you change the Library View, the region(s) remain(s) in the session), the other way clones the original audio data to a new file and the new region links to that. For what it's worth.

Again, if you don't like the limitation of having to point your single Library View from folder to folder, SAWStudio Lite or Full will give you more Library View windows. But realize that this is only helpful if you like having several open at once and/or you plan to create a template session that will automatically open these same Views each time. You will still have to navigate to each folder you want to import from at least once, and that's the same for any DAW you use, unless there's some kind of search feature that makes it easier to do the navigation from folder to folder, like some programs that automatically find all your computer's media for you. Then, of course, you have the problem of weeding through the clutter of all that media to find just the bits you want. No thanks.

Another potentially useful feature (though I've never used it) is that instead of viewing the contents of a folder, you can view the contents of another SAW EDL. So, if you have another project that already uses many of the files you're interested in, opening that EDL in a Library View can save you a lot of navigation work.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    There are two ways to create regions from a Library View window. One way simply links the new region(s) to the file(s) you pick in the library view (even after you change the Library View, the region(s) remain(s) in the session), the other way clones the original audio data to a new file and the new region links to that. For what it's worth.
    The "Import" button is the one that will clone all of the files you wish to use into your active session folder, using this, instead of the "Link" button will enable your session folder to be portable, as it will then contain all of the data required to play/mix your session on another computer.
    Shawn...