Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: How To Save My Buffer Settings

UpTil:

You're my hero, once again. The first two methods worked like a charm, so I didn't even bother trying the third.

Ian:

(Updated after original post) - OK, I checked out Library View, as you suggested, and you, too, are my hero. At first, it was working on my Windows XP computer, but not my Windows 10 computer, so this story may not be over yet. However, when I DID get it working, I found that I can import an entire folder - all or nothing - and then select files to pop into the multi-track view. This is better than nothing, but I'd rather be able to select specific files in a folder, perhaps just by highlighting them, to import as regions. There are two main reasons for this:

1. By the time I get to the point of laying all the files out on the MT, I have tweaked the files many times and have created all sorts of alternates and backups that serve only to clutter the library at this point. I'd rather import only the "final" versions and leave the outtakes in the folder, out of view.
    2. While editing my programs, I often create new Regions on the spot. I don't think these will show up in the Library window, which means my display needs to show both the Regions window AND the Library window. Given that my default view also includes four large tracks, the Sound File, and the Mixer/EQ bar on the left, i don't have ROOM for another window! I may just be missing something simple, so I will keep playing.

Anyway, thanks to both of you!
    Last edited by Tom M; 01-16-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    ...(Updated after original post) - OK, I checked out Library View, as you suggested, and you, too, are my hero. At first, it was working on my Windows XP computer, but not my Windows 10 computer, so this story may not be over yet. However, when I DID get it working, I found that I can import an entire folder - all or nothing - and then select files to pop into the multi-track view. This is better than nothing, but I'd rather be able to select specific files in a folder, perhaps just by highlighting them, to import as regions. There are two main reasons for this:

1. By the time I get to the point of laying all the files out on the MT, I have tweaked the files many times and have created all sorts of alternates and backups that serve only to clutter the library at this point. I'd rather import only the "final" versions and leave the outtakes in the folder, out of view.
    2. While editing my programs, I often create new Regions on the spot. I don't think these will show up in the Library window, which means my display needs to show both the Regions window AND the Library window. Given that my default view also includes four large tracks, the Sound File, and the Mixer/EQ bar on the left, i don't have ROOM for another window! I may just be missing something simple, so I will keep playing.

Anyway, thanks to both of you!
    This is how the library view has always worked.
    the key for me was naming my audio files differently in general, so that whenever I call up a folder, they're in the order I expect, instead of the alphabetical ordering Windows defaults with (or is that Bob's design?... I'm not sure, but it's never been changed). In fact, for projects I record that will definitely end up in SAW, I begin by naming the tracks (and renaming already written files, if necessary) so they always begin with a two-digit number ordering. In most cases, it corresponds to my channel ordering.

I always wanted the library to automatically default to the main folder I store my SAW sessions in, like SAW can do in general. Unfortunately, SAW libraries have always defaulted to the SAW Audio folder created at the time of installation. Maybe that will be changed someday.

Oh! Forgot the main point I wanted to suggest...
    Ctrl/Clicking select files or Shift/Clicking groups of files in Library view is easy enough, when the files are organized in an expected way to begin with. Then using either Insert by itself to lay out the group of files across sequential channels, beginning with whichever on is the hot channel (chosen in advance), or Ctrl/Insert to lay out all the regions in a row on a single track/channel has worked really well - quick - for me, anyway.
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 01-16-2018 at 05:50 PM.

The simple fix is just to enable you to add multiple files (doesn't have to be ALL files in one shot) to the Regions window of the Multitrack view at once. It can be three or four files at a time, just not ONE. That's a big time waster.

The simple fix is just to enable you to add multiple files (doesn't have to be ALL files in one shot) to the Regions window of the Multitrack view at once. It can be three or four files at a time, just not ONE. That's a big time waster.
    As I described...... you can do that now.
    Select as many files from the list in the library view that you care to import and then do so.
    Insert by itself puts each region on consecutive channels, starting with the hot track.
    Ctrl/Insert puts the regions you selected back to back across a single channel - whichever is the hot track.
    Try it and you will see how it works.
    There's no "fix" needed in that respect.

It's just occurred to me that maybe you're missing something about how to use the library view.
    You choose Open Directory Of Audio Files,
    Browse for the folder that contains the files you want and the hit OK.
    Don't try to pick a file or files from the Select Library Folder Dialog Box.
    After clicking OK, the Library view is populated with all the files that SAW can import (wav, aif, aiff).
    Now you can select anywhere from one to all the files in the Library View and insert them to the MT at your discretion.

As an aside, I just noticed that on this computer of mine, the Library View opened to the last folder I had chosen before I closed SAW down a few hours ago! I've never seen it do this - and it's precisely what I've wanted it to do (as I described earlier)! - I hope this is now the default, 'cause it's just what I need it to do.

Anyway, I hope I'm helping you clear up how the Library View works already and that maybe you can see a way to make it work for you, without calling for another program modification.
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 01-16-2018 at 08:05 PM.

I will check out what you are saying about importing into Library View, but I'm not sure I'm communicating my issue clearly.

Yes, I know I can pick and choose items from the Library View (in multiples, if desired) and place them on the MT But I want to be able to select multiple files right from my folder and place them in the Regions View so they are listed right there with all the regions I create while I am editing in MT. I DON'T want to have to keep the Library View AND the Regions View open all the time.

Maybe your explanation above solves this, but I am not in front of SAW to play with it right now. I will get back to you. Thanks for your patience.

I will check out what you are saying about importing into Library View, but I'm not sure I'm communicating my issue clearly.

Yes, I know I can pick and choose items from the Library View (in multiples, if desired) and place them on the MT But I want to be able to select multiple files right from my folder and place them in the Regions View so they are listed right there with all the regions I create while I am editing in MT. I DON'T want to have to keep the Library View AND the Regions View open all the time.

Maybe your explanation above solves this, but I am not in front of SAW to play with it right now. I will get back to you. Thanks for your patience.
    Regardless of how you end up working with the files, the F-Keys are what you should be using to unclutter your work space. Once you've set up a bank of f-keys with the windows you will work with in a general sense, you should find it extremely easy to always have only the windows up that you need at any given moment.
    Try setting up one f-key view specifically for adding files from the library view that contains all the other windows you think you need to see during your file import process and then set up another f-key for your general editing, or mixing needs, where the regions and library windows aren't even open. This frees up a ton of space for you to see what you're doing. Getting back to the library and regions windows then is as simple as pressing a single f-key... going back to editing/mixing - same thing - one f-key and you're there.

F-keys are a must, if you're working with a single monitor in my view.

I have always used the F keys, and I just figured out a roundabout way of accomplishing what I want to do.

By creating a view that includes both the Library window and the Regions window, I can import an entire folder of sound files into the Library window, then LINK only the ones I want into the Regions window. This way, all my original files AND all the regions that result from splicing within the MT view are in one window.

This STILL is not as simple as being able to just import multiple files from my Windows folder directly into the Regions window, but I guess it will have to do. I'm not sure why you're challenging me on this, though.

As far as SAW reverting back to the most recently used source file, that is not what I am asking for. In my old version of SAW, it not only went back to THAT FOLDER, it also went back to the exact point in the list of files where I had left off. That was very useful when I had to audition background music files from my very large collection. If I didn't like "Violins1," I could return to the folder and the cursor would still be on "Violins1," which meant all I had to do to listen to "Violins2" was scroll down one file. In SAW Basic, if I don't like "Violin1" and I return to the folder to sample some others, I find myself back at the beginning of the music list, having to scroll from the "A's" all the way down to the "V's." This may sound like nit-picking, but it gets very frustrating when it's midnight and you've repeated this process through thirty or forty different music tracks.

I'm sure this was just an oversight during the development of SAW Basic. I hope it can be fixed in a future update.

And I still miss being able to edit my sound files as simply as I used to. I'll have to read up on that one next.

Blog Entries

Tom,

Just for interest, in an list you can select a letter and that will take you to that point in the list.

For example, you want to go to Violins, then select "v" - and you will auto-scroll to the first item that begins with a "v".

If you continue to press "v" - you will scroll through the list of items that begin with "v".

This will work with most lists used in the MS Windows environment - dialog boxes and such.

Hope this helps?

Again, I'm sure your suggestions works and I appreciate your posting it here. Still, these are simple functions that worked fine in the "old" SAW, so I'm not sure why they were removed. Why have to type in a "V" when we know it's possible (it's been DONE) to just have the cursor return to the same file you were just looking at?

Blog Entries

Tom

I believe that these are issues that you will have to take up with Bob directly.