Close

Default Question about SAWSACVSTINI tool

Hi all,

I have a BUNCH of VST (and SAWnative and DX) plugins installed in SAWStudio. I now would like SAC to have access to those VSTs without re-installing them all. So... I have Rich McCoy's bat file that I believe will write ini files to link them from SAW to SAC.

In the configuration bat file, SAW was NOT listed as a source for VSTs. I added SAW as a source and will update the actual INI bat file by running the updated configuration bat file. My question (fear) is this: if I then run the INI bat tool, is there ANY way the VSTs in SAWStudio could get damaged/corrupted? I can't afford to mess them up, and don't want to run the INI tool if anything untoward can happen.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I know less than nothing about bat files.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Question about SAWSACVSTINI tool

Richard,

Why not create you own .ini files...at least as a test - to this out anyhow.

I had an ini file pointing to a VST plug-in in SAC, then copied that ini file to SAW, and all worked as it should.

This being said, I really cannot see why a plugin would get damaged or corrupted.

Also, do the native plug-ins work in the same manner as the VST plug-ins?

I just tested this out and nothing worked. It looks as if the native plug-ins actually need to reside in the either the SAW or SAC Native_PlugIns folder.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Richard,

Why not create you own .ini files...at least as a test - to this out anyhow.

I had an ini file pointing to a VST plug-in in SAC, then copied that ini file to SAW, and all worked as it should.

This being said, I really cannot see why a plugin would get damaged or corrupted.

Also, do the native plug-ins work in the same manner as the VST plug-ins?

I just tested this out and nothing worked. It looks as if the native plug-ins actually need to reside in the either the SAW or SAC Native_PlugIns folder.
    Hi Dell,
    Right; it's my understanding that only the VST plugs can use the re-direct method. At this point, I don't have any re-directed VSTs in SAWStudio to move to SAC; that's why I wanted to see if using Rich's program would create the necessary ini files as I have TONS of plugs, and creating them one at a time would really be no fun. Thanks for replying.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Blog Entries

Richard,

Can you send me the bat file? I would like to have a peep and see what it is doing.

This being said, I always use .ini files for the plug-ins I use. This permits me to store the plug-ins in their respective folders.

I use a principle when organizing data, "Like content in like folders". This is simply stating that whatever that data is, that data should be stored in a folder of it's type.

For example, in my VST_Plugins folder, I have created folders called, Chorus, EQ, Reverb, Waveplayer, AMP_Sims, and so on. Then I install the respective plug-ins in those folders.

In your present case, all that would need to do done is to simply copy the ini files to SAC - as long as the plug-ins do not introduce any latency.

Note: Notice that I prefer to use the "underscore" character instead of a space. A space is actually %20% - 4 characters, where an underscore is one character. Maybe that is why Bob has done so with the VST_Plugins folders. The use of the underscore also negates the need for commands in paths.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Richard,

Can you send me the bat file? I would like to have a peep and see what it is doing.

This being said, I always use .ini files for the plug-ins I use. This permits me to store the plug-ins in their respective folders.

I use a principle when organizing data, "Like content in like folders". This is simply stating that whatever that data is, that data should be stored in a folder of it's type.

For example, in my VST_Plugins folder, I have created folders called, Chorus, EQ, Reverb, Waveplayer, AMP_Sims, and so on. Then I install the respective plug-ins in those folders.

In your present case, all that would need to do done is to simply copy the ini files to SAC - as long as the plug-ins do not introduce any latency.

Note: Notice that I prefer to use the "underscore" character instead of a space. A space is actually %20% - 4 characters, where an underscore is one character. Maybe that is why Bob has done so with the VST_Plugins folders. The use of the underscore also negates the need for commands in paths.
    Hi Dell,

I got it figured out. I edited the configuration bat file first, establishing where SAC was installed, then ran it. Then I ran the ini tool bat, and it worked perfectly. I'll attach the bat files here for you (I think they attached. If not, give me an address where I can send them). INI tool for SAW and SAC.zip
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording