Close

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Windows 10 issues

Todd,

Every Dell system, if indeed we are referring to the Dell Precision 7510, has a sticker on the system which has a reference number referred to as the Service Tag.

Have look here: Service Tag

Hey Dell,
    I do not have any Dell computers here.

Blog Entries

Todd,

My apologies, got you mixed-up with Kent.

phyew,
    u was making me anxious fer a little while

ok, so, what I didn’t know before setting off on a win 7 / 10 dual boot is incompatibilities with UEFI.

The only way I can boot into Win7 is setting the Compatibilty of the boot device to Enabled and all devices under Compatibility to Legacy in the Z370 mobo BIOS. If I set the BIOS that way, my machine will only boot into Win7. To boot into Win 10 , set the Compatibility mode to UEFI and the system only boots into Win10. Boot Manager is useless when set like this; the Boot Manager possibilities can be added, but when Boot Manager launches, the compatibile OS is loaded regardless of which OS is chosen in Boot Manager

. I will further investigate if it is possible to save and recall entire BIOS profiles to make all BIOS settings per OS in one click...still, having to enter the BIOS every boot is far from ideal.

if you are thinking of going dual boot here is a pretty good explanation
    I wish I had known all this before I started installing Win 10 in the first place back in Feb 2018.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...bdrive.783921/

With my current situation, there is no way I have 3 days for Win10 to DL all it's "updates" if I have to reinstall.

I am gonna try installing the nvme win 7 drivers for my Samsung 960 Pro directly into Device Manager in my Win7 install and hope it doesn't hose the Win10 install.
    There are a lot more foibles dealing with new tech and legacy than there used to be back in the Win95-WinXP (thru to 7) era.

Consider using one of the many trayless drive bays... use two separate harddrives or SSDs... one for each OS install... no complications with dual boot issues.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Consider using one of the many trayless drive bays... use two separate harddrives or SSDs... one for each OS install... no complications with dual boot issues.

Bob L
    thanks, Bob,
    that is kinda what I ended up doing
    I spent the day unable to install presonus soundcard drivers on Win7
    but I do have a fairly quick change of 2 settings to boot into either OS
    as this ASRock Z370 mobo has several user configurable OC setting for quick recall

Installing Samsung 960 Pro drivers in Win7 was a breeze; yet I have toggle Compatibilty Adapter in the BIOS boot section to choose which OS will load...it’s really no big diversion :-)

OK, finally...Successs :-D

Some reading might wonder if it is worth it to jump thru all these hoops to get back to Win7?

I say thee YAY!!

The same session that was hitting 50% MT load in Win 10...which was also hitting 38% on my old laptop VAIO i3 is hitting 8% on my new i7 8700K!!!

So, yeah, it took me the best part of 10 days to get it working...if I did this kind of thing daily, I wouldn't have wasted so much time.
    I should think I could do the entire set up of dual boot in a day (probably a few hours), if I had to start all over. Man, oh, man am I glad I jumped thru the hoops!

OK, to catch up with where I left off Friday, I was struggling setting up my PreSonus Firestudio Mobile drivers. I needed to run Windows Update.
    The Win7 Pro DL I purchased claimed to be all patched. I looked at the updates before getting online and thought the machine was all up to date. Not so, there were 121 urgent updates and 65 recommended. Well, I should have been more cautious, but I installed them all. Then I found a page outlining which updates to avoid:
    https://www.quora.com/Which-Windows-...-avoid-and-why
    according to that page, I need to uninstall 45 updates...well...I will do that :-/

Also, there were quite a few missing mobo drivers which were all on the DVD that came with the mobo...I didn't find any specific instructions, but followed my nose and got the missing drivers installed (except one Ethernet driver still outstanding). Something to note here: the installation routine for the INF folder (Intel chipset drivers) suggested installing chipset drivers first. I did not install the INF drivers first....just when I got to them.

Also, another thing which held me up with my PreSonus drivers was that I have been daisy chaining/ cascading them incorrectly. I uninstalled and reinstalled as prescribed and they are working great.

so, totally worth the dual boot!!!!!

my Win7/ 10 dual boot system is running fine today...EXCEPT FOR
    I tried to Activate the Product Key I received from g2deal.com and the key is blocked.
    So, I have requested a valid product key from g2deal...they responded quickly asking for screen shots of the entered product key and subsequent error dialogs
    which I just sent...
    I also ran the MGADiagTool which confirmed the invalid key, too
    I then jumped thru the phone activation scenario and the automated system brought up a red flag and forced me to talk with a rep who verified the invalid product key.
    That rep in India was super nice and very apologetic.
    Hopefully g2deal will come thru....it ain't easy to find a valid legacy OS Product Key, man!!!
    That said, g2deal charges 10 currency units, which is a lot cheaper than newegg I the 130-240 currency unit range. I am, however, willing to pay that kind of scrilla for a valid key with a performance like this.

Blog Entries

Todd,

You mentioned in an earlier post, "...if you want to DL the Win7 ISO from MS, you will require a product key before you can DL. I found a vendor (G2deal.com) who is charging 10 currency units for OEM product key only...I will post back to share how it goes. Hopefully, they can issue to my country... Seems to be taking a long time for the key to arrive in my inbox."...OEM keys only work with OEM products. this may NEVER work out for you.
    PS: I suggest doing a search for OEM licensing requirements to get the full picture.

In all honesty this whole build of your has gone totally wrong. Maybe you should obtain the services of a trusted builder and have them assist you here.

Regarding dual booting, there are indeed valid reasons for wanting to do so, but I really do not see how this would benefit you at this point?

Also, maybe have a look at this posing: OT: Software-Hardware Listing

Honestly, in all of my years of building systems - and hardware is not really my area of expertise, I have only had one system that I found to be very problematic with regards to RML product installation. As I have mentioned previously RML Products themselves are very forgiving in terms for their overall requirements.