Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Windows 10 issues

Hey there,
    On the road and found that I needed to do some unexpected editing on my newish laptop. I have a Dell Precision 7510 running Windows 10. Did the tweaks that related to performance as spelled out in the help file for Windows 8.

Having frequent crashes... like every couple of minutes. Not doing anything more that creating regions from file and placing/moving them around on the Multi-track. Only using one track right now. Frustrating. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Kent
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Default Re: Windows 10 issues

I have a Dell Precision 7510 running Windows 10. Did the tweaks that related to performance as spelled out in the help file for Windows 8.

Having frequent crashes... like every couple of minutes. Not doing anything more that creating regions from file and placing/moving them around on the Multi-track. Only using one track right now.
    More info to add: Noticed after several tests that the program crashes when the cursor goes almost "off the screen" to the left or right in the sound file or MT view. I'm using a MS wireless mouse, but this also happens when the wireless mouse is off and I'm using the touchpad.

Options selected:
    Force Single CPU
    Force RealTime Priorty Class
    Last edited by Kent F; 01-30-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent F View Post
    Hey there,
    On the road and found that I needed to do some unexpected editing on my newish laptop. I have a Dell Precision 7510 running Windows 10. Did the tweaks that related to performance as spelled out in the help file for Windows 8.

Having frequent crashes... like every couple of minutes. Not doing anything more that creating regions from file and placing/moving them around on the Multi-track. Only using one track right now. Frustrating. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Kent
    Just a couple of quick suggestions for you here -

Are you working off the internal hd, or external USB? External USB drive could be too slow, maybe?

Set your buffers in SAW as high as you can stand (mostly results in a lag in movement and operations when set high, but helps when editing). Bo always suggested setting in and out the same, so whether it's needed or not, I still do that as a general rule.

What driver model are you using? - if I'm using the built-in soundcard, I usually am forced to use Standard Multimedia and 24 bit WDM Compatible Multimedia, as well as needing to set buffers really high.

I guess that's all I've got - usb hard drive and WDM driver with high buffers usually takes care of any "crashing" sort of behavior for me.

Also in the MultiTrack Menu, I have Realtime sample rate conversion set to "lowest".

Oh - and disabling LAN while working usually helps as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. Still unresolved. Just for clarity, it's not happening on playback, it's happening as I move the cursor around the sound file or multitrack view.

Hey there-

I know that there can be any number of reasons in Windows 10 why I'm having this problem. Hoping though that someone might have some insight based on their own experience with Windows 10 and SAW... or even just an understanding of what might be triggering the issue. The problem is consistent and easily repeatable. When I scroll to the edge of the soundfile or multitrackthe program always crashes when I get to the right or left edge of the window.

Thanks for your help.
    Kent

Blog Entries

Kent,

Can you please confirm what video card is being used in this system?

Hi Dell,

I have two different adapters showing up in the control panel:
    Intel Iris Pro graphics P580
    NVIDIA Quadro M2000M

Thanks!

Are you running SAW in compatibility mode?

I set SAW to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP service pack 3, this removes the windows border padding that can cause issues.
    Shawn...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Are you running SAW in compatibility mode?

I set SAW to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP service pack 3, this removes the windows border padding that can cause issues.
    Thank you for this! I was hitting my head on the desk about the missing borders and white tabs on the tops of all SS windows. This run in compatibility mode XP SP3 sorted it :-D

I did also originally accidentally install SS 3.3> uninstall and install 5.3 and after reading the latest release notes, decided to upgrade to 5.6
    Now, interestingly the folder structure was initially very minimal with 5.6
    So I re-downloaded the installer as we've been having lots of power outages here...which is normal for here in rural France
    and after install was the same. When I copied my VST_Plugins folder from my previously set up 5.3 version, all the folders respawned. I did use the identical file name and location for install of 5.6

Afterward, I was getting some corrupted displays of SS timeline...do I need to reinstall into different syntax filename? I will run it a bit and maybe start my own thread instead of hijacking this one :-)

Blog Entries

Todd R,
    Now, interestingly the folder structure was initially very minimal with 5.6...
    ...this is actually is normal behaviour for both SAW and SAC and for most of the versions that I have tried.

Notice and compare the following:

Attachment 2728