Close

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: Windows 10 issues

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    Hi Dave,
    I just got back from a house restoration project that took 4 months longer than expected.
    The fiasco I am experiencing is much worse performance with SawStudio on a newly put together (Jan2018) Win10 i7 8700K desktop machine as compared to a 2011 i3 VAIO laptop running win7. I***8217;ve done all kinds of tweaks, including all RML suggested. Laptop blows the i7 out of the water with SS; running Propellerhead Reason (or any other software I have installed) the i7 blows the laptop away...
    like 10 fold.

I guess only the four or five of us on this thread are having issues?
    Sounds tough, Todd. Obviously, something's not working right.

While not doing any machine-to-machine comparisons, I simply don't notice any problems. I also am not doing very involved sessions these days, however.

I'd be interested to hear if Bob's suggestion (Run as Administrator) is helpful.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Todd,
    I personally do not believe that i7's are necessarily the way-to-go for digital audio. There are so many other factors involved that are required to make a component-based system work as it should.

For my last personal build I went to an i5 as a direct recommendation from ASUS-US themselves!

Once the system is built, drivers installation order is the next thing to consider.

Lastly, on the last five new builds that I have done using WIN7 PRO, I have used the free DriverPack Solution to install all the drivers with no issues whatsoever!

This download - approx. 17GB-20GB, is really worth considering!
    Thanks Dell. I went with i7 for Propellerhead Reason and it is working marvellously with Reason....it is liberating to have so much more power than my 2011 recycled laptop! I was hoping to get a similar boost with SAW...I just jumped through the hoops Bob suggested....I will see how it goes and report back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Todd,

With win 10 make sure you are running SAW and/or SAC in administrator mode... set this in the compatibility tab of the desktop icon properties or right-click the actual exe file to do the same... this greatly affects how the priorities are handled and will cause SAW and SAC to be constantly stepped on by the OS threads if not done.

Bob L
    Thanks for this. When doing so, I did not see the "run as administrator" check box in the compatibility tab until clicking the "change settings for all users" button. In that dialog box, compatibility was set to win8 and run as admin was not checked....gotta drill down, i reckons...hopefully that will help...I will report back after trying it out :-)

ugh, well, after changing compatibility mode ...reopened SSL...my VSTs for that job have been binned (it's ok, it has already been delivered....think I have it on another machine and all the VST settings have been saved, so not a big issue)...they are gone and won't open from the pre/post dialogs...border padding in SSL is missing again :-/ I tried Win XP SP3 (where I was before changing today), Win8, Win7, Win XP SP2...no change....borders are missing :-/

Before those VSTs got binned, I tried playing the job. 40% MT load with 4 tracks and 6 VSTs...2 metering vsts on main output (TB Barricade V3 and LUFSmeter) and 4 VSTs on a single return (Fab Filter Pro Q2 and Pro DS and Acon Restoration Suite DeClick and DeNoise)

stumped for now ...time to do some taxes instead, hoo ray :-|
    Last edited by Todd R; 08-10-2018 at 09:39 AM. Reason: update a few mins latah

wellll, I gotta get this thing working
    I was gonna start by removing VSTs and see what performance is like;
    then add back one at a time as legendarily suggested here...although, I have to use those VSTs for my work
    I haven't pushed a job to breaking point yet, maybe I should try that too

OK,
    well a bit of user error, there, hurting my performance :-/

one of my VST keys wasn't in the correct folder (LUFS Meter)
    MT load has dropped from 49% to 28%
    I will see if I can get any more performance by taxing the system :-)

also my VSTs are normally on another screen when I work...I found the UIs by setting up new screen set up like my old one...used to be side by side....now they are stacked

I apologize for all the posts, then...I will report back when I get some more time under my belt with Win10

also, resetting compatibility mode back to XP SP3 has brought my borders back :-)
    Last edited by Todd R; 08-13-2018 at 09:26 AM.

well, it’s back to the drawing board. As soon as I put a VST on a 2nd fx return, MT Load shoots up to 50%!!??
    And that is just a single instance of Fab Filter Pro Q2 on the 2nd return....effecting nothing...it is just on (not bypassed)

whether I force single CPU in options or not.

So, from what I understand, i7 is the culprit? Performance in Reason is significantly improved...like 10x more powerful than my old i3 laptop. If i7 is the culprit, surely dual boot won’t help matters. I avoided ASUS mobo on purpose as ASRock was getting much better reviews.

For me this means comparing with my old laptop and possibly testing dual boot :-/
    Or bouncing down all audio repair plugs before mixing :-(

yep, confirmed
    the exact same edl on Win7 i3 VAIO laptop is hitting 36% MT Load
    compared with my new i7 8700k desktop running Win10 which is at 50% MT Load

next step dual boot :-/
    not looking fwd to that

I've set off on the dual boot route
    I got a Win 7 Pro iso and product key for about $10US
    I burned the iso to a USB drive
    set up was rife with foibles
    many, many trips thru the bios
    Win7 USB drivers (notoriously) not included in the iso
    I googled and found ASRock have a little exe to fix the issue

that got it to stop asking for a CD driver at install routine launch
    then I ran into my drives formatted as GPT issue (Win7 wants MBR)
    MBR doesn't allow more than 3 partitions per drive and mine had more than that
    then. I was trying to partition outside of the win installer...not a good idea, best to partition running the windows installer (well, that's the only way I could get it to work)

I had a spare brand new, boxed Evo 850 500GB and installed that instead of backing up data and deleting partitions
    next roadblock was 0x80300024 error
    My issue was: essentially the drive you are installing Win7 to has to be first in boot priority
    also. all drives need to be in legacy, not UEFI mode

after many trips of trial and error to the bios, I finally got it installed
    now to set it all up and see if there are drivers for my new hardware

Blog Entries

Todd,

Can you please provide me with the Service Tag for the Dell computer?

Even though SAW and SAC are very forgiving applications, this install does not "appear" to be too safe.

Hi Dell,
    I don't know what you mean by service tag.