Close

Default Preferences not saving on new install etc

Howdy gang, I'm back in the saddle after a new install and new(ish) computer etc.
    Went to Win 10 Pro and did all the tweaks I think I could (SAW etc) I think I'm ok in that regard, but it seems that after I updated and saved my session and reloaded, the shades and the F-key layout changes are not saving. Any thoughts on how to get those to follow? I loaded my fav - the Platinum Suite from http://learnsawstudio.com/ ; its there in the shades menu along with my saved F-key preferences and I did a Save Preferences - and named it. This procedure is the same that I was doing before the upgrade.

Also I'm having trouble getting my BBE Sonic Sweet into the VST game. I tried moving exe64 into the VST Plugin folder, but I can't find just the .dll files. I lreoaded from my disks 32/64bit and am supposed to have both. They are showing up in Resolve 15 (which I hopelessly can't figure out). My suspicion is that its finding the 64bit version and somehow the 32bit didn't make it on the install. Please don't hate, but I'm not a computer guy, I'm a sound guy. I come from the distant land of knobs and faders in a galaxy far away and a long time ago. A lot of what I do on SAW is sound for picture and I still love working in SS, been here since late 90's on SAW Pro. Most of my actual work though is Production Sound (acquisition) for feature films (just finished the new Kendrick Brothers film, Overcomer in Georgia).. David Kitchens over at Juniper Post in Burbank, CA will be posting that one.

Issue #3 I'm working picture from an Mp4 file and it looks like that should be supported but I'm getting the old "having trouble building Video Graph" warning. I'm in the process of ripping a huge AVI file from that to see if it will load, but it will end up being like 20 gigs. Would love to work with the Mp4 native if possible. The file plays fine in QT and Win Media Player and in Resolve 15.

Anyway, you guys are great and always helpful. Thanks to Bob L for helping me through some paces getting back in the thick of it.
    If anyone is up to walking me through any of this by phone, that would be great. I've got to get hopping on this edit, need to be done mid September.

Thanks
    Teddy

Teddy Hallaron

Blog Entries

Default Re: Preferences not saving on new install etc

Hello,

This may be an "ownership" problem. It is worth looking into regardless.

There are two methods you can use:

1. Copy all data to a FAT/FAT32 formatted thumb drive
    * This will remove any and all file permissions.

2. Use a "Take Ownership" registry hack.
    * You can get it here...
    * Source: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...menu-in-vista/

Hope this helps?

The F-Key defaults are separate from the Preference defaults... make sure you are saving both... File/Preferences/Save Defaults and File/F-Keys/Save Defaults. The loaded shade saves with the default preferences so make sure to save those after the shade is loaded.

If you copied the SAWStudio folder from a previous computer... Win 10 may be setting the read-only flag on that new folder... check that and make sure to set it back to read and write.

You will need to load the DirectShow codecs for the different video file formats to be available in the video viewer... try using the K-Lite pack in my misc downloads section of the SAWStudio website.

Bob L

Hi Teddy,
    I mostly work with picture as well. I asked Bob about getting mp4 to work in the video viewer and his explanation cleared up a lot of sync issues I was having in other software. Bob explained the mp4 compression drops thousands of key frames compared to avi which retains the key frames.

I usually use Propellerhead Reason for music creation and to score to picture. Reason doesn't have a native video viewer, so many users use a 3rd party add-on called ReSync. Well, when I used mp4s in ReSync; each time the Reason playhead was stopped and restarted (ummmm...ALL THE TIME!!!!) video sync would be lost. When using an avi, sync is retained :-) So, the avi format might be bloated, but for very good reason...at least for my set up and work

As far as the F-Key views, once you save or load the F-Key file, you also have to set it to default in the F-Key menu.

YAY
    I love you guys. Sure enough, I was not saving as the default. I haven't been on the system in a while and my chops get rusty.
    @Bob. I did a clean install on a new system that had been wiped and loaded with Win 10. I think I'm ok, I've noticed when I play audio, sometimes its not instantaneous and the blue think circle comes up for a few microseconds.

Re: AVI....I have always liked AVI better because its so stable and stays locked to picture. But have to figure out another anomaly - - I use RiverPast Video Cleaner 7,8 for my conversions which works great. But this time I converted an Mp4 to AVI at 23.98 to 23.98 fps. and I'm getting drift. The extracted audio file is dead on to the imported wav stems but the picture is drifting over time. I have a TC window burn so I can see the drift. I may convert a new AVI at 29.97 then change the MTC format in the menus. Right now everything is set to 23.98 as were the acquisition and picture edit files. I think I've done this trick before to my success.

Teddy Hallaron

Lucky for me 100% of my work is 25fps PAL...and 90% short form :-)

UPDATE:
    Using River Past Video Cleaner 7.8 I selected "use source time code" instead of selecting a target TC of 23.98 and 12 hours later I got a locked and synced picture.
    So, Mp4 of 23.98 to AVI 23.98 and changing the selection cleared up the problem

Teddy Hallaron