Close

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Windows 10 issues

Kent,

As this posting has gone "very south" - were you able to resolve your system issues?

Please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Todd,

You mentioned in an earlier post, "...if you want to DL the Win7 ISO from MS, you will require a product key before you can DL. I found a vendor (G2deal.com) who is charging 10 currency units for OEM product key only...I will post back to share how it goes. Hopefully, they can issue to my country... Seems to be taking a long time for the key to arrive in my inbox."...OEM keys only work with OEM products. this may NEVER work out for you.
    PS: I suggest doing a search for OEM licensing requirements to get the full picture.

In all honesty this whole build of your has gone totally wrong. Maybe you should obtain the services of a trusted builder and have them assist you here.

Regarding dual booting, there are indeed valid reasons for wanting to do so, but I really do not see how this would benefit you at this point?

Also, maybe have a look at this posing: OT: Software-Hardware Listing

Honestly, in all of my years of building systems - and hardware is not really my area of expertise, I have only had one system that I found to be very problematic with regards to RML product installation. As I have mentioned previously RML Products themselves are very forgiving in terms for their overall requirements.
    Hi Dell,
    All I was trying to do here was show that a DYI computer build can be done and maybe my comments will help someone. You have embellished the quote a bit, writing things I did not.

Why would it NEVER work for me? I did not claim to purchase OEM from G2deal...It might be a retail version....G2deal might be unethical, I don’t know for sure. Are you saying I will never gain access to a valid Win7 Pro profuct key? I will happily pay for official Product Key...if I can find one. Frankly, newegg isn’t getting better reviews than g2deal in my research.

“This whole build has gone totally wrong”? Again, doing my best...best intentions as well. Why on earth would dual booting not help me? It certainly has! Dude, I enjoy challenging myself and discovering solutions.

RML product installation problems? you mean 50% MT Load on Win10? vrs 8% on Win7? I have never had a problem before on previous systems with SAW, although this is the first system I have built entirely myself. Are you suggesting I hire a french company near me...or a company in the UK like Scan? I had the money and time to try my hand at building...and it is working.

I apologize for latching on to the OP’s thread...I thought I was keeping it on topic.

thanks for the comms, I do appreciate it.

Blog Entries

Todd,

If I am not mistaken, most of the systems used on the SAW and SAC forums are "Do-it-Yourself" builds.

It just "seems" to me that your particular situation has been more problematic as when compared to others - that was all that I was stating.

No offense intended.

Dell,
    the bottom line is performance. I built a new tech machine to run Propellerhead Reason and performance wise the new i7 desktop machine blows my old i3 laptop away running Reason 10. It is complete freedom verses facing limititations for every music project. I’d call that a success :-) Why SAWStudio isn’t performing similarly to Reason? I haven’t yet been able to determine. So I went with a platform I know for certain as an experiment, and it has paid off :-D I would say a 6 fold increase in performance with Win 7 performing better than Win 10 running SAWStudio Lite is something to pop the champagne over.

Now, that said, I am not the only one struggling with Win7 install, in general. I know that from my research online while setting up the dual boot. As I found issues during setting up the dual boot, I reported them here in the event it might help others.

Did I make mistakes? Of course! Do I know how to tweak Win 10 for best performance? No. Do I want to continue hitting my head on the desk learning to tweak Win10? Uh, no... I went as far as I could and, again, installed an OS I KNOW works well with SAW. Now I can get back to business on one machine that runs both softwares with much, MUCH better performance than my previous machine. There may be others like me. There is a migration to Win 10 in the SAW community as is evident from the posts on this board.

Dell, have you, personally, compared performance in SAW running dual boot with Win 10 and Win 7 for yourself? It would be nice to know if you are achieving better performance with Win 10 over Win 7. In my my case, on my machine, Win7 wins for running SAW. The same may be true for others. I have set dual boots before and have not had problems with those previous dual boots. That said, I do know others who have struggled with dual booting.

BTW, G2deal has been in touch re my complaint of them selling a blocked key. They kinda blamed me for not activating soon enough after my purchase in feb 2018, urging me to activate soon, rather than wait 6mos. Based on previous experience, I expect a new product key within the next 24hrs :-D

Blog Entries

Todd,
    Dell, have you, personally, compared performance in SAW running dual boot with Win 10 and Win 7 for yourself?
    ...No...I personally see the need to dual boot completely redundant.

It would be nice to know if you are achieving better performance with Win 10 over Win 7.
    ...Windows XP allowed for complete "tweak-ability", Windows 7 Home - not nearly as much, but I have been able to achieve similar - if not identical, performance using Windows 7 Pro, though there are more "hoops" to go through, tweak-wise.

Windows 10 Home edition is, in my opinion, a nightmare. Windows 10 Pro IS better, but both versions appear to have issues with screen redraws. This appears to be an issue regardless of which video card that is being used. Windows 10 LTSB would be the way to go for me if I ever had to move to Windows 10 - which I really do not see myself doing. As I mentioned previously, I have been able to completely disable updates on the LTSB version and have been able to achieve decent results - though nothing long-term.

That said, I do know others who have struggled with dual booting.
    ...on THIS forum?!

Hi Dell,
    to clarify
    People I have known in the past to have issues with dual boot are not associated with this forum nor are likely even aware of this forum.

As far as your other responses where you have quoted me, I am only talking about performance related to SAWStudio and not windows in general, or any other software.

If you haven***8217;t tested performance with SAW dual boot comparing Win 7 Pro verses Win 10 Pro for yourself, how would you measure the difference? Without experiencing it, how can you advise on it? As I say, I have set this scenario up and the performance improvement is beyond noteworthy, I find the improvement staggering. Maybe it is my specific combination of hardware, I don***8217;t know for certain.

Maybe this dual/multi boot conversation is better covered in it***8217;s own thread? That said, the OP may find dual booting to aid him in his SAW situation as I have.

BTW...I am still waiting for my Win 7 Pro replacement product key from G2deal... :-/

UPDATE:
    I have just received my new Win 7 Pro product key from G2deal and activation was successful :-D
    Last edited by Todd R; 08-22-2018 at 09:05 AM. Reason: new info later in the day

The original poster gave up trying to use Windows 10 because, at that time, the work was able to be done on a windows 7 laptop available to me when I was editing away from home. I am happily using SAWStudio on my I7-based DAW at home... while eagerly awaiting the new release... which I'm confident will serve me well wherever I need to edit.
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Kent,
    thanks for the update. I apologize for hijacking your post. I do hope some of all that I have reported will be found useful for someone hitting their head on the desk, whether users of this forum or general searches from their web browser :-)