Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Windows 10 issues

Kent,
    I have two different adapters showing up in the control panel: Intel Iris Pro graphics P580 and NVIDIA Quadro M2000M
    ...This might be interesting!

Boot the system and go to the BIOS settings. Look for a setting called "Optimus" or something similar. This setting should be enabled by default.

I suggest you try disabling this setting and see if this helps.

Attachment 2730

This option - if I understand it correctly, is to specify either Optimus graphics, or to force either the Intel or Nvidia card to be dominant. That would completely disable the one chipset.

Note: I had a Dell Precision laptop where I was having similar issues and disabling "Optimus" did the trick. For me, it forced the system to use only the Intel graphics.

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Todd R,
    ...this is actually is normal behaviour for both SAW and SAC and for most of the versions that I have tried.

Notice and compare the following:

Attachment 2728
    Thanks for the confirmation, Dell...that is exactly what I witnessed...SS looks ready to work for me now on my new Win 10 machine

Thanks for the input. I am running in XP 3 compatibility mode... and Run as Administrator is selected. Dell, appreciate you pointing me to the Optimus setting in the BIOS. I disabled it and tried a couple of configurations, but still have the issue. I then reverted back to the default settings and then went into Device Manager to disable the NVidia GPU. That didn't do it either. Scratching my head here. Any other thoughts?
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Blog Entries

Kent,
    Any other thoughts?
    ....Sad to say, I sold the Dell laptop that I had as I could never get that unit to function properly.

It is preferable to obtain a system that uses either Intel or AMD graphics.

I built a “new” system with a Dell Precision M6600, not a very new machine but still, very powerful, loads of RSM, SSD, etc. Same dual video cards with the “Optimus” deal. I decided to try a fresh Win10 fresh Install. I was able to get Win10 to work well for everything *except* SAWStudio. I spent months chasing all kinds of settings, monitoring latency, disabling services etc. A total rabbit hole. My system would crash when tracking. Sometimes every 5-10 minutes, oher times might track for hours when testing only to crash when recording an actual concert. Eventually I gave up and dumped Win10, went back to win7 (which I like a hell of a lot more than win10) and have not had any issues with Sawstudio. I had never before had crashes like that and have been using SS in all kinds of machines, for many years. The fact that SS runs on just about anything is one of the great benefits of the program.
    Win10 seems to be doing all kinds of background stuff that steps on everything and, at least for me, ruins the system for audio purposes. Bad realtime behavior. If you want to keep win10 maybe you can build a dual boot system with Win7 for SS. Personally, I am so much happier without Win10.

With Win7 I have no problem tracking 32 channels for a couple of hours, this from an Avid SC48 and the FW driver from Avid. This wouldn’t even connect under Win10. Normally I use an RME multiface to record smaller track counts (up to 14ch at 24/88K). The RME did work in win10 but crashed as mentioned above.

Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo View Post
    I built a ***8220;new***8221; system with a Dell Precision M6600, not a very new machine but still, very powerful, loads of RSM, SSD, etc. Same dual video cards with the ***8220;Optimus***8221; deal. I decided to try a fresh Win10 fresh Install. I was able to get Win10 to work well for everything *except* SAWStudio. I spent months chasing all kinds of settings, monitoring latency, disabling services etc. A total rabbit hole. My system would crash when tracking. Sometimes every 5-10 minutes, oher times might track for hours when testing only to crash when recording an actual concert. Eventually I gave up and dumped Win10, went back to win7 (which I like a hell of a lot more than win10) and have not had any issues with Sawstudio. I had never before had crashes like that and have been using SS in all kinds of machines, for many years. The fact that SS runs on just about anything is one of the great benefits of the program.
    Win10 seems to be doing all kinds of background stuff that steps on everything and, at least for me, ruins the system for audio purposes. Bad realtime behavior. If you want to keep win10 maybe you can build a dual boot system with Win7 for SS. Personally, I am so much happier without Win10.

With Win7 I have no problem tracking 32 channels for a couple of hours, this from an Avid SC48 and the FW driver from Avid. This wouldn***8217;t even connect under Win10. Normally I use an RME multiface to record smaller track counts (up to 14ch at 24/88K). The RME did work in win10 but crashed as mentioned above.

Eduardo
    I have just started down this road of tweaking my new machine and things don’t look promising after doing some tweaking for SS today. The only crashes I have experienced so far is pointing .ini files at the wrong VSTs or folders. I have it all sorted now...but, so far, SS performance is not as good on Win 10 i7 8700K desktop as it is on Win7 i3 laptop from 2011! I like Win7, too. I still have quite a bit of experimenting to try...Dual booting doesn’t sound terrible to me. I certainly never record 32 simultaneous tracks, but sometimes I require a lot of VSTs. Along with dual booting, different BIOS settings are likely req’d. For me, if I have to move to another DAW, the major thing I’d seriously miss is SS’s waveform height zoom, especially in Soundfile View.

I would consider a dual boot situation as well. But where can one find a legal Windows 7 product for this purpose? I'm really looking forward to the next version of SAWStudio!

Amazon is listing many Win 7 disks.

Bob L

Kent...If your using a Dell computer, some of them have a 'Speed/ Step' feature that throttles the CPU in voltage and speed, check the bios/setup menu, and turn this feature off, if it's there, also reduce the number of core to two, if it has more than two cores. IMPORTANT! turn the WiFi/internet connection off, and in SawStudio select 'Realtime Priority'.
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

Hey Danny. I tried your suggestions. No change in the problem. Appreciate your input though.

Thanks.