Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Windows 10 issues

Too bad Win7 is not a viable option for my new computer. I found out the hard way that there are no Win7 drivers for the latest hardware on the motherboard (forget it for a Ryzen processor, among other things). So, somehow I MUST make W10 work. I have tried suggestions from more than one source, including Black Viper. I may rejoin that battle on Monday, but don't know that I'll get much of anywhere. I think at least a few of us could really use a guidance document for the current W10 build. The UI is just too different from W7 as far as configuration, and it makes some settings very difficult to find. That, and I think there might be some new hidden "gotchas" for SawStudio users. I have hopes that, along with the 64-bit version, there might be some improvement in W10 compatibility and workarounds.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Cary, thanks for that. Looks like trying to run Win 7 on this new hardware isn't gonna fly :-[

well it is a shame that Win7 is the answer to achieve quality performance in SAW :-/
    I was hoping to get a boost after investing over 3K in a new machine (obviously costs half as much in the US).

With this new i7 8700K machine, I now have serious freedom in Reason 10. SawStudio Lite on this new machine is actually much worse performance than my i3 M370 2.4GHz laptop running Win7 :-/

I have a simple job with essentially 2 tracks of mono voice (talking) and a stereo music bed and an avi on video track. There are 5 VSTs in the whole job.
    i3 M370 MT Load is playing back at 31% (MBox2 standalone drivers; I usually use PreSonus FireStudio mobile). I have done no tweaks, it is vanilla. Resource mon shows CPU 1 and CPU2 churning away.
    The i7 machine (Win 10 1709;OC'd to 4.3) with PreSonus FireStudio mobile MT Load is around 50% regardless of CPU settings, I have tried many different settings.

I don't have a solution right now...and I have jobs to mix...looks like I gotta go back to laptop for these jobs :-/

I have some folks who work with/for me going with Reaper, whom I need to continue training to do film post...I have been threatening that move to Cuckoos, but I don't like the idea of learning a new DAW and I know I will seriously miss the soundfile view waveform height zoom.

Blog Entries

Hello,

I did a cursory peep at the ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte sites and a number of the current motherboards, have drivers for Windows 7.

Just for your interest...
    Last edited by mr_es335; 08-20-2018 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

I did a cursory peep at the ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte sites and a number of the current motherboards, have drives for Windows 7.

Just for your interest...
    My first hint about the Win7 problem with new hardware was when my Win7 install disk was not able to work with my newly built computer. I had to take it back and get Win10 (the store made an exception to accept this return).
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    My first hint about the Win7 problem with new hardware was when my Win7 install disk was not able to work with my newly built computer. I had to take it back and get Win10 (the store made an exception to accept this return).
    hmmmmmm :-) there is likely always a solution...right in front of noses ;-P

http://www.overclock.net/forum/6-int...us-x-hero.html

I ain't tried it yet, I'd need to order a Win 7 license and my internet speed is gonna kill me, so I need to wait til I go the UK Mar-May :-| Maybe by then, the new SAW is ready?

In any case, we know Win7 is going away. I remember hanging on with Windows 2000 as long as I could before going to XP, and even before then I was a deliberate late adopter of every "new" version (which helped me avoid Vista!). So, at this point the need is to fully adapt to the Windows 10 world, which with any luck should hold us for a few years.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Well, now it's all gone haywire for me. My editors deliver xml sequences from Premiere Pro which I convert with AA Translator and rename as a SAW edl to work from. Well, translated xmls are different in Win 10 than they are on Win7!

I don't know where the issue is, where the corruption is coming from...between Adobe and MS it is anybody's guess.

I spent a couple days looking at Reaper...and ugh...I am just not going to have time for reviewing the myriad of possibilities...plus the translated xmls are screwed up on .rpp format as well

so, I have to go back to my old laptop running win 7 :-[ where the xmls are not getting hosed...a huge hassle and I am getting nothing done

if it ain't broke...
    Last edited by Todd R; 02-21-2018 at 02:30 PM. Reason: user error proclamation

EDIT A COUPLE HRS LATER: The issue was user error on my part. I did not place the product key on the new Win10 machine; I had only typed in the serial...

Forum would let me edit my post... So here is what I added

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    EDIT A COUPLE HRS LATER: The issue was user error on my part. I did not place the product key on the new Win10 machine; I had only typed in the serial...

Forum would let me edit my post... So here is what I added
    Glad you got it sorted. Bringing up a new system can be a very frustrating experience. So many pieces to put together and test.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Glad you got it sorted. Bringing up a new system can be a very frustrating experience. So many pieces to put together and test.
    Thanks for the good words :-) as I hijack Ken's thread ;-P
    I will see if that licence key sorts my issues tomorrow...I had to throw in the towel today. Michael at AA Translator kindly sent me all I need. Actually, this new system is working pretty well and wasn't as hard to set up as I had anticipated before putting it together.

Also, I meant to say the form wouldn't let me edit my earlier post.