Close

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Windows 10 issues

Yep, that was the problem, AA Translator copy protection... Works like a charm now...back to flying in SAW :-) I also installed the latest version of AA Translator; The translation process is now much faster than 6.1.? With this new 8700K build. Michael has also added an improve choice to point to a specific directory for connected media files (ie wavs) which is another time saver.

I have decided to go dual boot with Win7 and see how that goes. Ken is right...it isn't that easy to find a Win 7 Pro product key on Amazon. There are plenty of discs for sale, but that isn't working for me...UK vendors not shipping to France... And I'd like my OS in Eng, thanks...my Win10 is French,, which can get to be quite annoying...if you want to DL the Win7 ISO from MS, you will require a product key before you can DL. I found a vendor (G2deal.com) who is charging 10 currency units for OEM product key only...I will post back to share how it goes. Hopefully, they can issue to my country... Seems to be taking a long time for the key to arrive in my inbox.

Well, saga continues

I have a converted xml from an editor where I did not need all of the audio files.
    When I try to delete the (redundant) wav files from my SAW session with SS Files View window
    I get a single core at 100% and SS just hangs...with a CPU core cooking away at 41 degrees celsius.

Now, these files do show up as 12 hr long files in the SS File View. That duration is likely coming from Premiere Pro.

I think the only way to rectify is connect the missing files (which I do have) and delete afterward.

Interesting...

Also, I am all prepared for my Win7 dual boot...I am just not going to have time before late May to install Win 7...
    For anyone considering it: I could not DL from the ISO from MS site, even with a legit purchased MS Win 7 Pro activation key I bought. It is an OEM version. The MS FAQ does state that they don't have the Win7 ISOs for OEMs, but it took some digging to find that info. The OEM key I bought was 10 currency units. I will report back when I get the Dual boot going later in the spring.

Back home now and in front of my SS DAW getting ready to edit again using my stable W7 machine. My on-the-road editing issues were resolved by loading SS on an older laptop running W7 that one of my kids brought along. That got me through the crunch. Maybe resourcing an older machine is a temporary workable solution for some of us who are caught between the new OS and the amazing tool that we have in SS. I know it's not an ideal situation - I've lived through it. But I was able to get the job done on time.

I'm confident there are better days ahead with the new version. But until then... I'm staying put with SS. Nothing I've used or have looked at can do the kind of editing my work requires like SS. I'll use outdated gear for editing as long as necessary. Hoping it won't be long though. It would be great to have an update on what to expect and when to expect it... and to know if test users are needed.
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Windows 10 is a pig. I will buy another Motherboard that supports Win7 and build a backup machine for my studio work. I'm not going to fight Windows 10. I have SawStudio running on a Windows 10 Tablet and laptop. It will be running along find for hours and then something goes on in the back ground and brings things to a halt. Windows 7 is pretty solid so I feel no need to change - the machine has plenty of horse power to do all I need to do. Some 50 plus tracks projects no sweat.
    I only upgrade these days when the machine dies and I'm forced to.

are there any developments on this Win10 fiasco with SawStudio? I have been in house restoration mode for the past 3 months and haven’t been paying attention until now.

I've been using SS on Win 8 for several years and before that, XP. I've just moved to a new HD and installed Win 10 64 bit. Total disaster. All my VSTi's are around 20 years old and hardly any worked at all.
    Total re-install of Win 10 32 bit and, yes, I've finally got everything working but SLOW. Even at 128 samples my RME card (Multiface2) stops playback of midi file when I try to change screens or click anything on screen.
    It always worked beautifully on XP and W8 at 64 samples.

I'll try some more things but it looks like I'll be going back to W8.

HP Probook 6550b
    RME Multiface 2 via expansion port adapter
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia

Not sure what to tell you guys. I've never had issues (save for a UAD annoyance) under Win10 x64. What fiasco are you referring to?

Did you do all the RML-suggested tweaks? Running in XP compatibility mode, I trust?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 06-25-2018 at 09:45 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Not sure what to tell you guys. I've never had issues (save for a UAD annoyance) under Win10 x64. What fiasco are you referring to?

Did you do all the RML-suggested tweaks? Running in XP compatibility mode, I trust?
    Hi Dave,
    I just got back from a house restoration project that took 4 months longer than expected.
    The fiasco I am experiencing is much worse performance with SawStudio on a newly put together (Jan2018) Win10 i7 8700K desktop machine as compared to a 2011 i3 VAIO laptop running win7. I’ve done all kinds of tweaks, including all RML suggested. Laptop blows the i7 out of the water with SS; running Propellerhead Reason (or any other software I have installed) the i7 blows the laptop away...
    like 10 fold.

I guess only the four or five of us on this thread are having issues?

Blog Entries

Todd,
    I personally do not believe that i7's are necessarily the way-to-go for digital audio. There are so many other factors involved that are required to make a component-based system work as it should.

For my last personal build I went to an i5 as a direct recommendation from ASUS-US themselves!

Once the system is built, drivers installation order is the next thing to consider.

Lastly, on the last five new builds that I have done using WIN7 PRO, I have used the free DriverPack Solution to install all the drivers with no issues whatsoever!

This download - approx. 17GB-20GB, is really worth considering!

Todd,

With win 10 make sure you are running SAW and/or SAC in administrator mode... set this in the compatibility tab of the desktop icon properties or right-click the actual exe file to do the same... this greatly affects how the priorities are handled and will cause SAW and SAC to be constantly stepped on by the OS threads if not done.

Bob L