Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Crippling ISDN costs!

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    Source Elements is offering a box that will connect to your Zephyr, or whatever you're using, called V-ISDN. It'll use 2 IP lines and, although it's still over IP, it'll have some redundancy between the 2 IP lines. I'm considering a fiber line and a cable as the redundant line. It'll reduce my cost by two thirds after buying the box! I'm thinking of jumping into SC at the same time since it's being requested with more frequency.
    Bill, you can't hook up to regular old ISDN studio for a session with this setup, can you? What, exactly, does it accomplish? Does it allow you to connect with another studio with the same setup, and/or perhaps an IP codec studio -- being cheaper than buying an IP codec for your end?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Well, I just heard about it and need to research it a little more. What it does is let me use the Telos box and claim I have ISDN (New SPIDS) though it'll be over the web but at a fraction of what AT$T is charging me.

I'll be able to have SC and (claim to have) ISDN and still save money!
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    Well, I just heard about it and need to research it a little more. What it does is let me use the Telos box and claim I have ISDN (New SPIDS) though it'll be over the web but at a fraction of what AT$T is charging me.

I'll be able to have SC and (claim to have) ISDN and still save money!
    I may be missing something, but the other end has to get from the Internet back over to copper-pair ISDN land, right? Is that part of the service? Do they provide such a bridge?

However it works, it sounds cool if it works and can save you money!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I haven't had time to dig too deeply into it yet. A guy is doing a play at the Old Globe Theater in Balboa Park and is doing a LOT of NOVA shows for NPR. And he's been keeping me busy on top of my usual work.

Yesterday we did a bridge from my Telos to a Source Connect studio in New Jersey and it dropped out several times. We finally opted to do a phone patch. My experience with SC has not been good.

Still researching.
    -Bill
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

I feel your pain. I dropped my ISDN lines about a year ago when my AT&T bill went to $600. I made the move to Source Connect after checking with some other VO talent and the studios that i often work through. I have done a lot of outgoing sessions and a few incoming and have not had a lot of problems. I have only had to restart a session on a couple of occasions due to dropouts, and I believe the problem was at the other end. Nothing is as rock solid as dialing in with ISDN, but so far SC is working fine for me. I have the program on my laptop and cable connect it to a fiber modem. The laptop is connected through an interface to my edit system so it works just like my old Prima box did. I would be interested to hear how the setup works with the Source Elements codec.
    I look forward to hearing what you end up with.

Jon
    Jon Smoot
    J.R.S. Productions
    Creative Audio

jrscreativeaudio.com