Close

Default Cue Sheet Generator, EAC and Plextor burner

Is anyone here on the forum using a Plextor PX-L890SA burner to create master discs from Cue Sheet Generator files burned using Exact Audio Copy?

If so, can you get this burner to embed text files?

I've run "Detect write features" under "Drive Options", and that test says "No" to text and "Yes" to IIRC.

I would accept that as fact, but it seems to me that Plextor drivers are well respected, and I would think they would be capable of writing text metadata.

If in fact the burner will not write the files, can anyone recommend a currently available burner that will?

Thanks in advance.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Default Re: Cue Sheet Generator, EAC and Plextor burner

Okay, this goes deeper than the burner brand. I have a Benq burner that DOES support text, so I hooked it up to the computer that normally has the Plextor burner installed, and when I run the Drive Option test (located under "EAC" on the menu bar), the result I get is that the drive is incapable of writing text. I know for a fact that it is.

Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong here?
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Hi Richard;

I was never confident about the CD Text option in EAC and invested in the HOFA cd burner software and found it really very good for entering details and text.

https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/cd-burn-ddp-1/

pretty sure they have a demo period so you can test it and the burners out.

Unfortunately to test it you have to download the whole plugin bundle they produce but there is some nice stuff in there anyway!

best of luck!
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com

Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    Hi Richard;

I was never confident about the CD Text option in EAC and invested in the HOFA cd burner software and found it really very good for entering details and text.

https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/cd-burn-ddp-1/

pretty sure they have a demo period so you can test it and the burners out.

Unfortunately to test it you have to download the whole plugin bundle they produce but there is some nice stuff in there anyway!

best of luck!
    Thank you for your reply Robert. I failed to mention that this problem is with another SAWStudio user's machine (Kimbo, who sometimes posts on this forum), but he was uncertain how to describe his problem accurately. So I have his computer while he's on vacation and am attempting to solve his problem). My machine works perfectly with Lite-On burners and EAC. I can't really ask him to buy another piece of software... BUT as you suggest, I could install the demo and give it a try to see if maybe EAC is somehow not playing nice with his particular machine and burners. Thanks for that lead.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

UPDATE: I have another burner that I've attached through a USB adaptor to my laptop. I opened EAC and ran the Drive Options test, and the report is that the burner is ISRC and TEXT capable. So I put it in the desktop machine, replacing the Plextor. I opened EAC and ran the test, and it comes back that it's ISRC capable, but NOT TEXT capable... just as it did for the Plextor drive.

Methinks something else is at the heart of this... some setting in the Windows OS perhaps (Win 7 is running on the machine).

I haven't installed any other burning software as suggested by Robert, simply because this is a machine I'm trying to get working for Kimbo, and he uses EAC or Burrrn for making master CDs.

Are there any Windows gurus here who have theories? I'm really stumped (and honestly, frustrated).
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    UPDATE: I have another burner that I've attached through a USB adaptor to my laptop. I opened EAC and ran the Drive Options test, and the report is that the burner is ISRC and TEXT capable. So I put it in the desktop machine, replacing the Plextor. I opened EAC and ran the test, and it comes back that it's ISRC capable, but NOT TEXT capable... just as it did for the Plextor drive.

Methinks something else is at the heart of this... some setting in the Windows OS perhaps (Win 7 is running on the machine).

I haven't installed any other burning software as suggested by Robert, simply because this is a machine I'm trying to get working for Kimbo, and he uses EAC or Burrrn for making master CDs.

Are there any Windows gurus here who have theories? I'm really stumped (and honestly, frustrated).
    I did a little digging the other day on this, the only thing that popped up was there might be an issue between 64bit and 32bit machines. people running on the 64bit systems having some of the same issues.

Note it was only a couple of posts so not a huge sample to rely on.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    I did a little digging the other day on this, the only thing that popped up was there might be an issue between 64bit and 32bit machines. people running on the 64bit systems having some of the same issues.

Note it was only a couple of posts so not a huge sample to rely on.
    Thank you Phillip. Both machines I checked this burner on
    (my laptop and Kimbo's desktop)
    are 64 bit. However, I have more info: I found a burner in my pile 'o unused gear that had been installed in an HP desktop that I no longer use. I put it in Kimbo's machine and ran the Drive Options test, and it reported that both ISRC and TEXT are supported. I don't need that burner, since I have two working Lite-On burners in my studio machine, so will just give this one to Kimbo. I'm guessing that the Plextor, for whatever reason, wouldn't play well with EAC. I had e-mailed Plextor a couple times with no reply, so am giving up on them.

Thanks to you guys for chiming in. But I think I can consider this "case closed".
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording