Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Audiofusion: using you phone as iem-receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by operationwhat View Post
    I would never say something that is not true!
    I may assume things, that MAYBE something works like this or that,
    but would never claim something 100%, that was not checked before!!!
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

ok RB ....i know....I did it again.

Anyway, excuse me for the previous input, it was a bit rude.

Anyway, even if it's not 10ms, it's closer to around 8-9ms as I figured from their talk.
    What they aim for is less than 5ms, but what they got now is something around 8ms,
    and that is bit too much as the round trip of the I/O we have in SAC + the WIFI system
    option here is a bit too much of latency for singers or guitarists using IEM.

I'm speaking behalf of singer...

What I suggest for anyone who's on budget and wants his own IEM mix, is to use a simple cheap Chinese system
    that costs around 40-50$ and works awesome and has a great value to $ ratio. I know it looks bad, but it work better than any
    other system out there for under 150$ and it's stereo. I bought one for my father, so he could watch TV with his Sennheiser
    buds on and not wake up the neighbors

Takstar WPM-200 UHF Wireless Monitor System

Name:  takstar-wpm-200-uhf-wireless-monitor-system-in-ear-stereo-transmitter-amp-receiver-intl-15011361.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  9.7 KB
    And as far as the WIFI IEM system goes, it's an amazing thing and I adore the idea!!!!!
    Still I would wait few months or a maybe year to see what will happen with the software.
    Guess there will be even more solutions in the future if other companies will see potential in it.

All the Best,
    Nik

3. Default Re: Audiofusion: using you phone as iem-receiver?

According to this test: http://whirlwindusa.com/support/tech...-pandoras-box/

Latencies less than approximately 10 ms to 15 ms are not perceived as echoes with in-ear monitors.

The whole signal chain needs to be less than 15 ms obviously. If your SAC system can handle a stable low buffer setting, like 1x32 or 1x64, it might work. I've found this thread http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/...tency-Measured!

It seems that iems on your phone might be do able

Quote Originally Posted by Rein View Post
    According to this test: http://whirlwindusa.com/support/tech...-pandoras-box/

Latencies less than approximately 10 ms to 15 ms are not perceived as echoes with in-ear monitors.

In my experience with small, yet disorienting latency in headphones, it's not perceived as an echo. More like a "weirdness" that feels different than "real life." That weirdness can be enough to make one uncomfortable in performance, I think.

In my own experience (non-musical)... after ten years as a radio announcer in the days of analog broadcast chains (mostly the 80s), I worked for a short time several years later at a station that must've had some kind of digital processing before the transmitter. It took a little while before I got comfortable hearing myself slightly "off" in my cans. Didn't sound like an echo. But it was definitely weird (a little later than "now" -- enough to make me uncomfortable).

Not sure if they meant to cover that with their diction as cited above, but if they didn't, I think it's important that this is pointed out. It doesn't have to sound like an echo to be disconcerting to the performer.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 02-15-2018 at 05:43 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I understand,
    but 12ms is way too much!
    I use 7 to 17ms delay on guitar for making a wide guitar sound from a mono source,
    a Haas effect. Just calculate it: a GLX-D Shure 4ms, Sac 6.67ms (1x64 at 48k), IEM 8ms - that is ~18ms.
    The professional systems are under 5ms...
    Anything over 10ms is just killing your accuracy to play faster tempo drums, guitars...
    Notes blend together and the guitar picking gets muffled....

Maybe you can play with such a latency...
    Last edited by operationwhat; 02-15-2018 at 05:51 PM.

I agree about even small latencies in the ear being troublesome, especially for a vocalist. That is why, when recording, I provide a direct analog monitor path to cans for whoever is "on mic". However, what I have only allows four "more me's" of this type.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com